Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State of Illinois not mailing renewal notices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even signing up for e-mail notices won't help you, as you cannot renew EL plates via phone, Internet, or even at the authorized banking facilities that can do it. You *must* go to the Secretary of State office to renew. Signing up via e-mail will remind you that you need to take care of it, but you'll need to renew via SoS office or mail anyway in 2 more years if their systems stay the way they are.

(Also, if your SoS office is anything like mine, most of the clerks will be baffled as to how multi-year stickers are done. The clerks had to try a series of different codes to make it work correctly and give me the correct 2-year sticker.)

No comment on the budget situation, but it's beyond me why the state can't allow for Internet and phone renewal on these.

Was it still $38 or was it higher? Do you recall the codes used?

EDIT: I just called the downtown Chicago branch, and the woman was familiar with the plates: $35 for 2y. Hopefully it doesn't turn into the same fiasco when I go down there.

Last edited:
Was it still $38 or was it higher? Do you recall the codes used?

EDIT: I just called the downtown Chicago branch, and the woman was familiar with the plates: $35 for 2y. Hopefully it doesn't turn into the same fiasco when I go down there.
I just renewed my plates thru December 2017 (2 years) for $35.00 at the office in Plano, IL. Like everybody else, I did not receive a renewal notice in the mail.

I renewed my EL plate thru December 2017 (2 years) for $35.00 at the DMV in Libertyville. I didn't receive the renewal notice in the mail. The cashier had no problem processing it. She asked me questions about Tesla. How far can you go and how long it takes to charge? She was surprised by $35 for 2 years renewal.

Last edited:
I renewed my EL plate thru December 2017 (2 years) for $35.00 at the DMV in Libertyville. I didn't receive the renewal notice in the mail. The cashier had no problem processing it. She asked me questions about Tesla. How far can you go and how long it takes to charge? She was surprised by $35 for 2 years renewal.

Yeah, my clerk was as well. "2 years... $35?! Wow."

Ok. here is the scoop. I found out there is a dedicated office for just electric vehicles. I called the secretary of state and the guy had no idea. He was really nice on the phone and put me on hold while he talked to his higher ups and came back with a number for me to call.
I called the other department and found this: The plates are renewed for electric vehicles on odd years. SO like me if you bought a car on 2015 then you will get 2015 sticker, and not a 2016 and it should be pro rated. BUT when I went to the Libertyville DMV they gave me 2016 when I was getting my new sticker (my current one expires this year and month along with all electrics). I called and they are mailing me the 2017 sticker. Very nice lady by the name of Cheryl on the phone.
It is $35 for 2 years.

I'll post this number up: 217-782-1140

Ok. here is the scoop. I found out there is a dedicated office for just electric vehicles. I called the secretary of state and the guy had no idea. He was really nice on the phone and put me on hold while he talked to his higher ups and came back with a number for me to call.
I called the other department and found this: The plates are renewed for electric vehicles on odd years. SO like me if you bought a car on 2015 then you will get 2015 sticker, and not a 2016 and it should be pro rated. BUT when I went to the Libertyville DMV they gave me 2016 when I was getting my new sticker (my current one expires this year and month along with all electrics). I called and they are mailing me the 2017 sticker. Very nice lady by the name of Cheryl on the phone.
It is $35 for 2 years.

I'll post this number up: 217-782-1140

That's correct - they have a specialty plate division - EL plates are only issued from that division (along with municipal/police, etc.). However, the stickers can be sold by the SoS office. You just happened to get someone who didn't know how to do it with the right code. (I don't recall what code, but do recall they said they "had to use the 15 code, but it came up 17 just fine".)

(EDIT/UPDATE: By the way, this is the same issue for antique plates - they're 5 year stickers that end in years "4" and "9"... if you buy the registration in early 2014, you'll pay the entire fee, then pay it again before the end of the year for the 2019 renewal.)

Last edited:
What stuff are you supposed to bring with you, if you don't have a renewal notice? Just the registration page we throw in the glove box?

Thanks for saving me from trying to figure out what my code is to sign up online, though! +Karma for you!

What stuff are you supposed to bring with you, if you don't have a renewal notice? Just the registration page we throw in the glove box?

Thanks for saving me from trying to figure out what my code is to sign up online, though! +Karma for you!

Yes - they will want your existing registration.

(Your regID and PIN are also printed on the existing registration, but attempting to use it will simply tell you "no bueno".)

iL Sec of State Number to Call to Renew EL Plates

Fezzik, Thank you for the Sec of State phone number. I called and they asked me to call 217.782.2285. It was tough to get through but when I did the Sec of State office was able to process my 2016-2017 EL sticker and take credit card payment. New sticker should arrive in a few days.

That's correct - they have a specialty plate division - EL plates are only issued from that division (along with municipal/police, etc.). However, the stickers can be sold by the SoS office. You just happened to get someone who didn't know how to do it with the right code. (I don't recall what code, but do recall they said they "had to use the 15 code, but it came up 17 just fine".)

(EDIT/UPDATE: By the way, this is the same issue for antique plates - they're 5 year stickers that end in years "4" and "9"... if you buy the registration in early 2014, you'll pay the entire fee, then pay it again before the end of the year for the 2019 renewal.)

Fezzik, Thank you for the Sec of State phone number. I called and they asked me to call 217.782.2285. It was tough to get through but when I did the Sec of State office was able to process my 2016-2017 EL sticker and take credit card payment. New sticker should arrive in a few days.

Wait, does that mean one doesn't have to go to the SoS office? I'm confused. That would be great (and sadly I don't know why I'm so happy about such a ridiculous, sad state of affairs).

It would appear as such!

I called this afternoon, gave my license plate number, name, home address, phone number and credit card ($35.00+$1.00 fee) for 2y renewal. She said 5-7 business days and I'd receive the sticker in the mail.

I did have to hit redial about 2 dozen times because the line was always busy.

Easy.

It would appear as such!

I called this afternoon, gave my license plate number, name, home address, phone number and credit card ($35.00+$1.00 fee) for 2y renewal. She said 5-7 business days and I'd receive the sticker in the mail.

I did have to hit redial about 2 dozen times because the line was always busy.

Easy.

That's great! Wish I knew that first. :)