Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stated Range vs Real World

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the stated range of the RWD is 305 miles but the real world range is ~200 miles:
Is the range shown on the UI screen based on the 305 figure or the real 200 mile figure, or something else?
It's a guess based on a guess. Been discussed lots of time. Generally when trying to figure out if you are losing energy somewhere then its best to use the %. That's just based on one guess :)

Wouldn’t know where to start with that energy page in the car.
Sign up for the free Teslafi trial and I'm pretty sure someone will have a look at you data and tell you what is going on. Although it sounds like you're doing a lot of short journeys, it's best to check if you have concerns.
@VanillaAir_UK are Teslafi still doing the longer trial with a referral code?

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
If the stated range of the RWD is 305 miles but the real world range is ~200 miles:
Is the range shown on the UI screen based on the 305 figure or the real 200 mile figure, or something else?
When Tesla state that the provided home charger (13 Amp plug) will charge at 10-11 mph, is that based on the 305 mile range or the 200 mile range? in other words, would it take 30 hours or 20 hours to fully charge from 0%?

neither :p

stated range on the dash is based on the US EPA rating. Its a straight % battery conversion based on (checks..) 272 miles with 18" wheels. so it'll go down 2.72 miles for each 1% battery you use from 100%. Doesn't take account of how you drive at all.

It is mostly useless to use for range - tap it to switch to % and its a more meaningful measure. % use will vary but unless you're driving really fast, estimate around 2 miles per % or 20 miles per 10% and it'll be about right - bit less if you're doing 80

The energy app/tab does take account of how you drive, you can set it to check based on the last 5/15/30 miles (something like that) and it'll show average energy and predicted range if you continue to drive like that and have a route planned in on the satnav. Often if I'm sitting with autopilot on the motorway you can see that predicted range go up as your driving is stable over time

neither :p

stated range on the dash is based on the US EPA rating. Its a straight % battery conversion based on (checks..) 272 miles with 18" wheels. so it'll go down 2.72 miles for each 1% battery you use from 100%. Doesn't take account of how you drive at all.

It is mostly useless to use for range - tap it to switch to % and its a more meaningful measure. % use will vary but unless you're driving really fast, estimate around 2 miles per % or 20 miles per 10% and it'll be about right - bit less if you're doing 80

The energy app/tab does take account of how you drive, you can set it to check based on the last 5/15/30 miles (something like that) and it'll show average energy and predicted range if you continue to drive like that and have a route planned in on the satnav. Often if I'm sitting with autopilot on the motorway you can see that predicted range go up as your driving is stable over time
OK that makes sense - thanks @Mrklaw
I presume that the same logic holds for the home charger then, the 10-11 mph charge rate is probably based on the 272 range figure also. This means the real world charge rate for this charger is more like 7 mph. So to recharge 100 real miles would take about 14 hours - I can live with that. Most weeks I only drive around 100 miles.

shoudln't take that long. Assume RWD is around 57kwh usable, charging with a 7kw charger would be about 8 hours. Add 10% for charging losses and maybe 9 hours? Thats 0-100%.

on my SR+ I could usually rely on about 50% charge during my octopus go 4 hour off peak window

Reactions: spdpsba
OK that makes sense - thanks @Mrklaw
I presume that the same logic holds for the home charger then, the 10-11 mph charge rate is probably based on the 272 range figure also. This means the real world charge rate for this charger is more like 7 mph. So to recharge 100 real miles would take about 14 hours - I can live with that. Most weeks I only drive around 100 miles.
Basically it takes around 4hrs for 40%-50% in a 7Kwh standard home chargers. Assuming the battery is around 20% (as we normally do not drain it below that level) - you will have around 60% - 70%charge in 4hrs which will hypothetically translate to 180 - 200 miles in the new SR or 162 - 180 miles in the 2021 SR+. How many miles you will get in that 60% is anyones guess but definitely around 120 miles!

Reactions: Mrklaw
ICE cars sell on MPG not range, BEVs sell on range. Painted us into this corner of misunderstanding.

If they sold BEVs on miles/kwh based on WLTP and maybe a range in brackets or a 'fuel tank' size, that would help. BMW and some others I think provide estimated efficiency as well as range figures for their cars.

You tell me its 4 miles/kwh urban and 2 miles/kwh motorway (do they call it extra-urban or something strange?) then that helps me as a buyer understand the car is not going to go as far on a tank on the motorway. I know that already on an ICE but you just ignore it because you can fill up so easily.
When they say your full tank of petrol gets you 700 miles and you get less than 500 miles.
That's was the case with the hybrids, not just the mpg figures.

I presume that the same logic holds for the home charger then, the 10-11 mph charge rate is probably based on the 272 range figure also.

When the charge rate is quoted in MPH it is based on an assumed rate of consumption. It doesn't matter the size of the battery. Two cars with different sized batteries could both charge at 11 mph. We generally refer to consumption at Wh/mile ... so if you can charge at 7kW for 1 hour you will have added 7kWh. The number of miles you can travel using that 7kWh is easy to work out: If your car uses 250 Wh/mile (i.e. 1kWh divided by 4) then it can travel 4 miles per kWh so multiply by 7 and that gives 28 miles per hour when charging at 7kW.

In reality it is unwise to depend on measuring charging by MPH. It is very much an average which belies the fact that on some journeys that amount of energy might take you only half the distance quoted. It would be the same as buying petrol by a miles figure rather than in litres! Everyone would complain when their car didn't go as far as the reading on the petrol pump. They just do it this way to give people a general idea because those new to EVs won't initially have much idea of how far a car can go on a given charge.

if someone is interested:
very first long trip.

today preheated car via app @6 am., disconnected cable and jumped into the car
started with 310 miles (90%) of estimated range, and calculation that I will arrive to my destination with 30% of battery.
traveled 154 miles with AP set to 74 mph, all that on motorway. Mostly keeping 3rd out of 4 lanes on M1.

arrived with 35% remaining (remaining range 125 miles)

Temp outside approx 4 C

LR during the winter does 200+ miles easily

it currently charges from 7 kw charger at work @ 30 miles per hr

Be wary of basing a conclusion on one single data point! Another similar distance journey could give a different result (positive or negative). (Wind, rain, gradients, temperature, traffic, night/day, drive style). Nevertheless, congratulations on your first lengthy trip.

While correct, he used 55% of the battery to do 150 miles at 4C. It would take some serious efficiency loss to drop below 200 in real world range on that trip.

The in car nav knows what it’s going, if anything is a bit cautious (IMO) and takes gradient into account. The U.K. generally just isn’t that hilly or gets that cold.

While correct, he used 55% of the battery to do 150 miles at 4C. It would take some serious efficiency loss to drop below 200 in real world range on that trip.

The in car nav knows what it’s going, if anything is a bit cautious (IMO) and takes gradient into account. The U.K. generally just isn’t that hilly or gets that cold.
exactly.

55% to cover 150 miles @70+ mph
If keep it under 70 - that would be even better.

and I have 1 data points because I got the car for 2 days only...

Reactions: Buzzliteyear
The U.K. generally just isn’t that hilly or gets that cold.

This is the problem of making assumptions. Maybe your part of the UK is not that hilly! The conclusion made a general statement that would apply to all trips ... I'll wager that that there are occasions when 200 miles in a LR will be a bit of a squeeze and others when it's a breeze (I should be a rapper really).

Last edited:
Reactions: init6
shoudln't take that long. Assume RWD is around 57kwh usable, charging with a 7kw charger would be about 8 hours. Add 10% for charging losses and maybe 9 hours? Thats 0-100%.

on my SR+ I could usually rely on about 50% charge during my octopus go 4 hour off peak window
I should have been clearer, I was talking about using the 2.7kW 13A plug charger that comes with the car. My average mileage is only around 100 miles per week so I am contemplating just using the supplied charger initially. I am getting some building work done beside my driveway later this year so would need to move a charger if I installed it now, so will (maybe) get a 7kW charger installed during/after the building work. I was just making sure that using the supplied 2.7kW charger would be feasible, at least for a few months.

This is the problem of making assumptions. Maybe your part of the UK is not that hilly! The cocnlusion made a general statement that would apply to all trips ... I'll wager that that there are occasions when 200 miles in a LR will be a bit of a squeeze and others when it's a breeze (I should be a rapper really).

While it is an assumption, most main roads in the U.K. where you rack up the big mileage at high speeds are on lower lying ground.

But that’s specifically why I said ‘generally’ and also ‘use the onboard nav’ as you can’t account for everything, the onboard nav will stop you getting caught short as it knows what it’s doing.

exactly.

55% to cover 150 miles @70+ mph
If keep it under 70 - that would be even better.

and I have 1 data points because I got the car for 2 days only...

That's all true of course but to say "LR during the winter does 200+ miles easily" would be better to come with some qualification. It was easily on your trip and will be on most similar trips in similar conditions. There will be times when it may not be "easily".