Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stated Range vs Real World

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Yes, yet another one of these range threads

I understand it’s winter, although recent temps haven’t been mental cold at all (didn’t have a jacket on yesterday!).

Anyway, cars charged to 70% there, states 211mi range but 123mi real world, for a 70% charge.

Driving wise, ok yes short trips, couple miles here couple miles there through the day. Manual climate set to 21. I’ve used TeslaFi recently and not seeing anything in phantom drain or anything nasty that leaps out screaming PROBLEM!

So…….I guess the question is, is this normal to see? A real world range that’s nearly 50% less than stated range?

Hi all

I understand it’s winter, although recent temps haven’t been mental cold at all (didn’t have a jacket on yesterday!).

Anyway, cars charged to 70% there, states 211mi range but 123mi real world, for a 70% charge.

Driving wise, ok yes short trips, couple miles here couple miles there through the day. Manual climate set to 21. I’ve used TeslaFi recently and not seeing anything in phantom drain or anything nasty that leaps out screaming PROBLEM!

So…….I guess the question is, is this normal to see? A real world range that’s nearly 50% less than stated range?
I’ve got an M3P and my 90-10% range is about 150-160 miles. Winter makes surprisingly little difference. Although LR owners here often can’t (or won’t) believe that, plenty of M3P owners seem to work on 1%=2 miles, so although I thought I’d bought a lemon at first, I accept it’s normal.
WLTP is as much a pipe dream as the old 56mph MPG ratings used to be.

Don't use Teslfi or any apps that prevent the car from sleeping. They drain the battery and are pretty pointless.

If you read the other range threads, they'll say the cars rated range is only applicable when unplugging and driving the 2XX miles to your destination in the right conditions.

You've said it yourself, short journeys. The car uses power to heat and cool the cabin and pack. It's cold. I'm guessing your wh/m is closer to 320 than it is to 240.

Combine these and that's why your range is low than "rated".

I’ve got an M3P and my 90-10% range is about 150-160 miles. Winter makes surprisingly little difference. Although LR owners here often can’t (or won’t) believe that, plenty of M3P owners seem to work on 1%=2 miles, so although I thought I’d bought a lemon at first, I accept it’s normal.
WLTP is as much a pipe dream as the old 56mph MPG ratings used to be.
Agree with this

Yes I’m also seeing 1% per 2 mile range

So this is generally norma yeh?

Don't use Teslfi or any apps that prevent the car from sleeping. They drain the battery and are pretty pointless.

If you read the other range threads, they'll say the cars rated range is only applicable when unplugging and driving the 2XX miles to your destination in the right conditions.

You've said it yourself, short journeys. The car uses power to heat and cool the cabin and pack. It's cold. I'm guessing your wh/m is closer to 320 than it is to 240.

Combine these and that's why your range is low than "rated".
TeslaFi isn’t connected anymore and I’ve just started using Tessie, which doesn’t stop the car from sleeping, certainly from what I’m reading in the app.

My wh/m is more 420 on average.

My wh/m is more 420 on average.
Since October I’ve averaged 348. By the end of last summer my lifetime was 324, now up to 330 - odd. (It did spent its first 2 months of life as a demonstrator and had a lifetime of 350 when I got it at 1700 miles).
So many LR owners here talk about regular sub 300 that I’ve come to the conclusion they can’t all be doddering about at 45mph but that the P really does use its juice very differently. I get that it’s McLaren Performance and McLaren range , and I accept that if I’d really dug around on forums before buying I’d have found the truth before I did… but the claims are irritating and it makes the M3 feel less useful when, for example tonight, I have to take my kid to a medical appointment 110 miles away and no one is going to be in the mood for 20 minutes diversion to a forecourt for a 20 minutes charge, we’re going to have to take a diesel Land Rover.

Only had the car since December but I was initially shocked, despite numerous warnings. I charge to 80% or 85% depending and run down to 30% give or take and get between 80-100 miles so I kind of bank on 50% charge giving me close to 100 miles. Additionally, I've found town driving to give a better return than a steady 56 on the motorway so far.

This is in a LR and driving like an old man...

Hi all

Yep normal for short trips

Don't forget that if you drove a 5min trip in the car, the car would be awake a lot longer before it sleeps again (around 5-15mins think). This "awake" time also consumes battery.

Also if you park somewhere and your sentry mode is active this would eat away at your battery energy.

Yep short trips. I have said before I’d like an option to not heat the battery- if I’m going 10 mins away at slow speeds and am happy with slower acceleration etc then leave the battery alone and save the battery

I have home charging so not the end of the world to plug in more often but it can be irritating seeing the battery dropping so fast

Also bear in mind the range on the dash is EPS not WLTP - and EPA is more conservative than WLTP!

You may be able to get close to EPA at 55mph, 100% to ‘car won’t move anymore (beyond 0%) at 20c with no wind

At 70 in mild conditions and the dry you should get close to 300 with the new larger battery 100%-0

Since October I’ve averaged 348. By the end of last summer my lifetime was 324, now up to 330 - odd. (It did spent its first 2 months of life as a demonstrator and had a lifetime of 350 when I got it at 1700 miles).
So many LR owners here talk about regular sub 300 that I’ve come to the conclusion they can’t all be doddering about at 45mph but that the P really does use its juice very differently. I get that it’s McLaren Performance and McLaren range , and I accept that if I’d really dug around on forums before buying I’d have found the truth before I did… but the claims are irritating and it makes the M3 feel less useful when, for example tonight, I have to take my kid to a medical appointment 110 miles away and no one is going to be in the mood for 20 minutes diversion to a forecourt for a 20 minutes charge, we’re going to have to take a diesel Land Rover.
I’ve seen my wh/m reach the 600’s

Only had the car since December but I was initially shocked, despite numerous warnings. I charge to 80% or 85% depending and run down to 30% give or take and get between 80-100 miles so I kind of bank on 50% charge giving me close to 100 miles. Additionally, I've found town driving to give a better return than a steady 56 on the motorway so far.

This is in a LR and driving like an old man...
Yeh, this would equate to that 1% per 2 miles thing that myself and a few re seeing

Hi all

Read the other threads. The info is all there.
Not true.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Surely consumption over very short local trips only matters of you can’t plug in at home or regularly?

If your going out over 100 miles and back again, then just charge it to 90/100% and crack on. Beyond 110 each way then you are probably needing public chargers regardless. Either way I’m not sure what the big deal is here.

My RWD car has averaged 258wh/mi the last couple of months. I don’t drive like a grandad either, I drive to the speed limit everywhere where appropriate and to get anywhere from my tiny rural town is a 70mph dual carriageway.

I’d comfortably get 200 miles on a run and a LR/P should get another 30-40 miles on that without issue.

Like I said at the top of the post, consumption over local distances isn’t really relevant as you’ll be plugging in regularly anyway.

If you can’t plug in regularly an EV probably isn’t for you in 2022 and sticking with ICE is probably the best bet as good as an EV is to drive.