Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stategy for Lack of Spare Tire on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just about to take delivery of Model S .. was wondering what strategies Model S owners have employed for the lack of a spare/jack?
- Do have low profile tires?
If so, I would be very concerned if there are quite many pothole where you live.
I noticed quite often cars with low profile tires having a flat, even on a freeway.

Tesla provides emergency road support, but you might be stranded for a while.
If you are often traveling away in the countryside with all your family in a not so clement weather
I would definitively get an extra spare (may be one with one of those 60 miles/h tire) and a good jack.

At least I would get a foam kit or compressor, but this might not be always sufficient.
Also, if it's just a hole created by a screw, you could use a T-Handle Tire Plug Kit
without needed to remove the wheel.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insights ...In looking at owners manual there are 4 jack points ... so i would assume the car can be jacked and a flat tire changed... i prefer to control my own destiny vs waiting for Tesla or AAA ... any recommendations on a donut type spare or is a full size spare required for some reason ?

Thanks for the insights ...In looking at owners manual there are 4 jack points ... so i would assume the car can be jacked and a flat tire changed... i prefer to control my own destiny vs waiting for Tesla or AAA ... any recommendations on a donut type spare or is a full size spare required for some reason ?

Yes, 4 easy to find jacking points under the side sills. If you have air suspension there is a jack mode to disable auto leveling. Some prefer a hockey puck between the jack point and jack.

Really no different than any other vehicle with respect to changing tires just be aware that the lugs are torqued to 130 lb ft and the tires to 46psi (or there abouts depending on tire/wheel combo).

If you search for "compact space saver tire/wheel solution" you'll find that some have used BMW 18" steel compacts from a X5

Tesla roadside assistance - $$$ but no learning curve
Tire patch kit + tire inflator - Ok solution for shorter distances (not all patches are repairable)
Spare tire + Jack - maybe a problem with Ds, but the only true solution for long drives.

Here is a suggestion to the next guy who upgrades their wheels.
Please sell the 19"'s as individual wheels - as spares. No need to sell a set.
A lot of us will find it useful, and frankly you'll make some extra $ too.

Another poster recommended this for a compact spare:
Compact emergency spare wheel
2007 Ford Escape Wheel VIN H (8th digit, Hybrid) 18x4 (compact spare) (aluminum)

I carry a 12v pump that was recommended on this forum.
Kensun AC/DC Rapid Performance Portable Air Compressor Tire Inflator with Digital Display for Home (110V) and Car (12V) - 30 Litres/Min

It has come in handy in several situations, but I only needed it once for my Tesla. All of my flats have been nails in the tread, so pumping up the tire every few hours on the way to a tire repair shop has worked out well for the last 30 years. Mostly I used a bicycle pump, but while it is light and inexpensive it takes a really long time.

• Informative
Reactions: suwaneedad
>> Strategy for Lack of Spare Tire on Model S

The ultimate spare tire:

roue-en-bois-pour-hummer.jpg

Are those the new 48 inch wheels in forged alloy?

As the diameter of the wheel increases, the horsepower needed for the vehicle decreases, hence making your watt per mile decrease. Also you will save on tires. Includes 5 mouth pieces for you and your passengers

I carry a Viair 84P Compact Portable Air Compressor Viair 84P Sport Compact Portable Air Compressor for Tire & Sports Inflation | eBay and a Safety Seal tire plug / repair kit TIRE PLUG REPAIR KITS - Includes metal/Steel handles - Bonus 6 Safety Seal Plugs | eBay

We've used these on our cars and SUVs for decades and they've completely eliminated having to wait for a tow truck to show up. All we've done is find the nail / screw, remove it, insert the Safety Seal plug, and re-inflate with our ViAir. NO JACK REQUIRED. Saves HOURS of time and the patches have lasted 1,000s of miles even on HUGE off road tires hammered at low tire pressures while rock crawling.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED since they're cheap, easy to use, and DIY solution to most tire punctures. (can't repair sidewall punctures, sidewall casing splits, or blowouts)

Reactions: gr2020 and Canuck
I carry a spare on road trips. I bought a 19" wheel and tire from our local service center. I do not carry a jack and tools so call AAA or Tesla for roadside service. I have had three flats since I have had my model S. On a Friday night there are not a lot of places to purchase or repair a tire. Or when driving across a rural state like Wyoming a replacement tire may have to be shipped from somewhere else. If you use the search function I think you will find many treads on this subject. I understand why manufacturers are no longer including spares, but I think it is a mistake.

Here is a suggestion to the next guy who upgrades their wheels.
Please sell the 19"'s as individual wheels - as spares. No need to sell a set.
A lot of us will find it useful, and frankly you'll make some extra $ too.

I was following a truck full of brand new MX coming from the Fremont factory.
I noticed that all the MXs had identical wheels with 20" fat tires.
Doing so must simplify the assembly line.

So I assume that the SC must have a pile of spares standard wheels, unless the wheels get sent back to the factory.