TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Static/crackling on some random slacker songs.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Xminusuno, May 6, 2018.

1. Xminusuno

Xminusuno Member

I've been trying to track down a minor issue I have with my model3. Every once in a while I get some static/crackling during a song. It kind of sounds like a blown speaker coming from the speaker row near the windsheild. l'm trying to decide if and how I need to bring this up with the service center since I can't really reproduce it. I noted the songs when it happened and later when I went back to reproduce it, it sounded fine. Has anyone else noticed this? Maybe it's just software growing pains? It doesn't bother me too much but I don't want to leave things unaddressed.

• Like x 4
  2. ww73

ww73 Member

I've experienced this too. It was a podcast that had static. Once I switched songs it went away.

3. suwaneedad

suwaneedad Member

I've had it. More in the delivery release of the software than in the subsequent releases (I've had two of those in the past month). Now it's down to maybe one song per week (~5 hours of driving/wk). As you note, it resolves by skipping to the next song, so I can't foresee bothering with trying to get it troubleshot. Good to know others have similar situation. I'm still enamored of the ability to tell my car to play Paradise by the Dashboard Lights whenever the mood strikes, so a bit of crackling once a week or so isn't bothering me.

• Like x 1
  4. barjohn

barjohn Member

I have experienced it too. Like you, at first I thought it was a defective speaker but realized once I switched songs that it went away. If it were a blown speaker it wouldn't have gone away. It still does it on occasional songs and I just change to a different one.

5. spudnik187

spudnik187 Member

I get it maybe once a month now. Putting on 200-300 miles per week. Weird, but not a big deal IMO.

6. alexdav

alexdav Supporting Member

Been happening for a few months now. However it's not as frequent anymore.

You can also get it to go away by pausing and then playing again.

• Like x 2
  7. Xminusuno

Xminusuno Member

Good to hear it's not just my car, which likely means I just have to wait for it to be worked out in newer versions. I agree its a pretty minor complaint since it happens so infrequently.

I'll have to give the pause/play trick a try. Thanks for the tip!

• Like x 1
  8. DMack

DMack Member

Happens on my month old Model S as well.
    I use the pause trick to fix it.

• Like x 1
  9. harcocjh

harcocjh Member

Happened twice in the first 48hrs I had the car but then hasn't again over the last week I've now had it. Both times I just skipped the track like others and it went away. Assuming a software issue and will likely be fixed later. Not a big deal for now I suppose.

10. nickpants

nickpants Member

Yes i have the same issue, maybe once a week now?
    You don't even have to skip the song, just pausing and playing fixes it..Glad to hear it's a known issue.

11. VIKING26

VIKING26 Member

I estimate it happens to me about 1 out of 20 songs that play. It goes away when skipping to the next song. I'll have to try pause and play to see if that works (unless it's Def Leppard - that'll get skipped every time). ;)

12. VIKING26

VIKING26 Member

The latest software didn't correct this issue. Pause/play did stop it for the song.

13. NOCO24U

NOCO24U Member

mine does it. if you stop the song and start it again it goes away in my car. i do this by clicking the left steering wheel button twice really fast. i'm getting so good at it that it's an instinct.

14. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

Experienced this as well. As others have mentioned it seems to come up less often with the more recent software updates. Did not know about the pause/play workaround to fix this. Good to know!

15. alexdav

alexdav Supporting Member

Other thing I’ve been doing is when it happens, I use the voice command to say “bug report crackling at beginning of song.”

My hope is that they’ll get enough data points to figure out what’s causing the defect.

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 2
  16. David L

David L Member

Also happens to me about once every 100 miles and toggling pause makes it go away. Will try to remember to submit a bug report next time.

17. nickpants

nickpants Member

Happened to me about an hour after installing 18.3 .. so still not fixed.