Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Static shock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was about to start a new thread but stumbled across this one. Obvs this is a few years old now but I have the same issue. After I’ve driven it, I get a strong static shock from the door when I close it after exiting. It’s a one hit wonder and doesn’t do it when I then touch other parts of the car after the initial shock, but it does do it every time I drive it.

Was about to start a new thread but stumbled across this one. Obvs this is a few years old now but I have the same issue. After I’ve driven it, I get a strong static shock from the door when I close it after exiting. It’s a one hit wonder and doesn’t do it when I then touch other parts of the car after the initial shock, but it does do it every time I drive it.
Never had any static off the M3 at all, had plenty off previous ICE cars though.

Exactly the same for me. I dread closing the door. It does seem to be dependent on what shoes I’m wearing.

A lot of the time when this happens it's not the car, it's you.. you get a charge from eg. nylon carpet and then touch the car which has a decent path to earth and zap.

Can't say I've noticed Tesla is any better or worse for this kind of thing happening.
Defo think it’s the carpet mats and seats. Never had it from my Landy. If anything it saves me pinching myself to remind me I have a Tesla.

Reactions: M1tch
I have been meaning to ask about this!

I keep getting shocks, sometimes literally as bad as touching one of those executioner fly swats! Yes it is definitely static, at the weekend my daughters hair was standing on end as she got out of the car.

The question is why is this happening in the Model Y, I’ve never had it anywhere near as bad in previous cars.

The only major electrical difference between this car and every previous car I’ve had is that the 12v battery is Lithium, so I wonder if it is somehow the cause.

I'm not a physicist or electrical engineer, bit I'm pretty sure it's you, or rather the clothes you wear, and the seat material.

You inevitably slide across the seat when you get out. If you have certain man-made materials in the thing covering your bum, you rub the two surfaces together, generating a static charge. Like hair and a balloon.

This charge has nowhere to go until you earth, there is a potential difference between you and the ground, which you earth as soon as you touch a conductive surface. This is usually your car door.

You'll notice you get the shock getting out, never getting in. Blame the plastic seat material, and whatever you choose to cover your rump. To a certain extent your shoes too I think, if they have really thick soles, again the charge has nowhere to go!

Reactions: DigbyChicken
I'm not a physicist or electrical engineer, bit I'm pretty sure it's you, or rather the clothes you wear, and the seat material.

You inevitably slide across the seat when you get out. If you have certain man-made materials in the thing covering your bum, you rub the two surfaces together, generating a static charge. Like hair and a balloon.

This charge has nowhere to go until you earth, there is a potential difference between you and the ground, which you earth as soon as you touch a conductive surface. This is usually your car door.

You'll notice you get the shock getting out, never getting in. Blame the plastic seat material, and whatever you choose to cover your rump. To a certain extent your shoes too I think, if they have really thick soles, again the charge has nowhere to go!
All pretty much correct, manmade clothes rather than natural materials like wool, cotton etc make it much more likely. The fact the seats are plastic certainly won’t help either, nor in the case of young kids the amount of squirming they do generally🤣. It all adds up to static🤷🏼‍♂️
As someone else pointed out touch the door or framework before landing your feet outside, that should help a lot.

Reactions: Obliter8