Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Static Sounds from Motor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I purchased my model Y at the very end of October (22 VIN) and noticed a really annoying sound that I can describe as almost an electrical static or electrical short noise on the way home. The noise is really noticeable when driving between 50-70mph, but loudest at 60 mph at constant speed with minimal pressure applied to the accelerator - it does not happen while accelerating or during regen braking. It is consistent and happens every time I drive the car. It is not the high pitched sound you hear when accelerating.

I’ve gone on 4 test drives with 4 different techs at 2 different service centers to diagnose the problem. Every tech heard the noise and verified and verbalized that it was not a normal noise. But, Tesla is now saying that it’s a normal sound that happens on a lot of cars (even though none of the techs have never heard it before). When I challenged that and asked them to give me the key to any model Y on the lot so we can go for a ride and replicate it they said “well, it’s only really happening on the newer models, 2022 and newer, and all of the cars we have here are older so you won’t hear it on them.”

I have had so many problems with this car, mostly caused by incompetence at the SC. For example, they: scratched my car down to the paint when replacing windshield to the point they had to send it to a body shop to be repainted, incorrectly replaced the windshield that then cause water staining and necessitated a second new windshield, scratched the center console sliding door when replacing windshield the second time, ruined the mesh black trim piece under the windshield with a razor when taking off registration and inspection stickers, did not fix steering wheel orientation after 3 requests and fought like hell to not fix it after I called them out on it, messaged me that the car was ready for pickup when no work was done on the car, wrote that they fixed the excessive rattling but didn’t, etc. They’ve had possession of my car for 6 weeks since I’ve owned it since Oct 29, and it just went back in today. They are fixing the sliding door, steering wheel orientation, rattling, mesh piece and we’re SUPPOSED to fix the biggest issue - the static/electrical short sound. But I just found out at the last minute when dropping the car that they are now classifying the noise as “normal.” Is there anything I can do? It seems like BS that they can say “yea, that’s not a normal sound. But since it mysteriously manifests itself on a bunch of new builds we are going to call it normal now.”

Has anyone else heard this noise on their car? I would post a video of the noise, but they have my car. When I get it back I can record and post. I’m so turned off by the entire experience. Sorry for venting. This is some BS.

More than 30 days having possession of car to fix the same issue, and an issue that significantly affects the value of the car (from what I’ve read). I have thought about contacting a lawyer, but that would probably cost me more than just selling the car and eating the depreciation. I’ve driven the loaners (2 model 3’s and 2 model S) with significantly higher mileage and they drive better than my car. Sucks because I want to love the car. But not sure lemon law will help much.

Last edited:
So I purchased my model Y at the very end of October (22 VIN) and noticed a really annoying sound that I can describe as almost an electrical static or electrical short noise on the way home. The noise is really noticeable when driving between 50-70mph, but loudest at 60 mph at constant speed with minimal pressure applied to the accelerator - it does not happen while accelerating or during regen braking. It is consistent and happens every time I drive the car. It is not the high pitched sound you hear when accelerating.

I’ve gone on 4 test drives with 4 different techs at 2 different service centers to diagnose the problem. Every tech heard the noise and verified and verbalized that it was not a normal noise. But, Tesla is now saying that it’s a normal sound that happens on a lot of cars (even though none of the techs have never heard it before). When I challenged that and asked them to give me the key to any model Y on the lot so we can go for a ride and replicate it they said “well, it’s only really happening on the newer models, 2022 and newer, and all of the cars we have here are older so you won’t hear it on them.”

I have had so many problems with this car, mostly caused by incompetence at the SC. For example, they: scratched my car down to the paint when replacing windshield to the point they had to send it to a body shop to be repainted, incorrectly replaced the windshield that then cause water staining and necessitated a second new windshield, scratched the center console sliding door when replacing windshield the second time, ruined the mesh black trim piece under the windshield with a razor when taking off registration and inspection stickers, did not fix steering wheel orientation after 3 requests and fought like hell to not fix it after I called them out on it, messaged me that the car was ready for pickup when no work was done on the car, wrote that they fixed the excessive rattling but didn’t, etc. They’ve had possession of my car for 6 weeks since I’ve owned it since Oct 29, and it just went back in today. They are fixing the sliding door, steering wheel orientation, rattling, mesh piece and we’re SUPPOSED to fix the biggest issue - the static/electrical short sound. But I just found out at the last minute when dropping the car that they are now classifying the noise as “normal.” Is there anything I can do? It seems like BS that they can say “yea, that’s not a normal sound. But since it mysteriously manifests itself on a bunch of new builds we are going to call it normal now.”

Has anyone else heard this noise on their car? I would post a video of the noise, but they have my car. When I get it back I can record and post. I’m so turned off by the entire experience. Sorry for venting. This is some BS.
I just took delivery of a 23 MYLR7 yesterday. Your description in the first paragraph is EXACTLY the way I have described it myself. I have a service appt scheduled for next week.... hope I don't have the array of issues you did...

Looks like you guys already found it, but for anyone else who visits, here's the main thread for this noise (front motor static/hissing/cricket noise):

Looks like you guys already found it, but for anyone else who visits, here's the main thread for this noise (front motor static/hissing/cricket noise):
Good looking out. I found that thread and have been on it for the past few weeks. Nice to know I’m not alone, but mad to hear this is as widespread as it is.

I just took delivery of a 23 MYLR7 yesterday. Your description in the first paragraph is EXACTLY the way I have described it myself. I have a service appt scheduled for next week.... hope I don't have the array of issues you did...
Congrats on the car. I hope no one has to go through what I went through lol. Good luck and post on the other thread that ev_go123 shared to give any updates you get from service!

As I’m reading this I had to stop and think did I write this and forget lol. Sounds like everyone is having the exact same issues. I have a new model y purchased in March. Static noise when it comes to a stop. Tesla completely ruined my paint while paint correcting scratches that came on the brand new car. The windshield needed to be replaced and it was installed incorrectly had to be reinstalled. Complete nightmare. Are these service centers in Los Angeles? Or are service centers all over incompetent?

I believe this is completely normal. My car does the same and at lower speeds. It has to do with the battery temperature. It does this when I’m barely on the accelerator and also when I’m barely using regen braking at speed. Hope this helps, definitely more of a coil whine sound in my opinion and as I said, my car does the same

I am so sorry to hear of your experience. I just had a horrible time with my SC where they returned the car to me damaged and scratched, and the original problem isn’t fixed. I have an appointment next week and am actually afraid to let them even touch my car in order to fix their damage.