Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Statistics from the order tracking spreadsheet for fun

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I wait for my red M3 and stare at my lonely wall charger, I was wondering: What's the most popular color?, What's the most popular trim? What percentage of orders have FSD?

Since we have some sampling of data in the order tracking spreadsheet, and compiling data is part of my job, I exported it into excel and crunched some numbers. The following assumes that the order tracking spreadsheet is a random sampling of orders. I excluded rows in each category that are blank. For a few categories, I had to combine items (for ex. black paint had 2 different types over time). In a few categories, I ran the entire spreadsheet (dating back to 2017) and I also ran just orders placed in '20 and '21.

Trim - total spreadsheet
SR, SR+ and MR - 18.3%
LR, LR AWD - 62.8%
Performance - 18.8%

Trim - ordered in '20 or '21
SR, SR+ - 30.4%
LR - 49%
Perf - 20.3%

Color - total spreadsheet
White - 27.2%
Silver - 25.2%
Black - 13%
Blue - 20.2%
Red - 14.2%

Color - ordered in '20 or '21
White - 41.8%
Silver - 24.5%
Black - 9%
Blue - 14.9%
Red - 10%

Interior - total spreadsheet
Black - 78%
White - 22%

Interior - ordered '20 or '21
Black - 73.2%
White - 26.7%

Autopilot - ordered in '20 or '21 (I only did these years due to the package changes with AP)
Autopilot - 78.1%
FSD - 21.8%

Purchase method - ordered '20 or '21
Cash - 20.2%
Lease - 7.2%
Loan - 72.6%

Some thoughts from the stats.
Didn't realize the LR had such a high percentage of sales
I knew that white was the most popular external color, surprised black was the least.
Not surprised that white is gaining on black for the interior. I ordered black but watch the you tube videos on white - everyone loves it.
Hoping that with FSD at ~22% that EAP will be offered again soon as a stepping stone (i stayed with standard AP)

Last edited:
Some thoughts from the stats.
Didn't realize the LR had such a high percentage of sales
I knew that white was the most popular external color, surprised black was the least.
Not surprised that white is gaining on black for the interior. I ordered black but watch the you tube videos on white - everyone loves it.
Hoping that with FSD at ~22% that EAP will be offered again soon as a stepping stone (i stayed with standard AP)

Since you mention you compile data for a living, I assume you are aware that, using this spreadsheet as a basis for the statistics is likely skewed. Its not like everyone who visits this website fills out data in that tracking spreadsheet, and its not like membership on this website is a true representation of "everyone" who is buying these cars.

People who end up on websites tend to be more "enthusiast". We used to see this on the BMW boards I frequented all the time, where if you listed to the people on those boards, you would think that every other 3/4 series sold was "estoril blue, m sport, with adaptive suspension" where in reality that trim was really rare. It was popular with enthusiasts though, like the people who would visit the site.

Similarly, your quote "I wasnt aware the LR had such a high percentage of sales' may or may not be actually representative of the overall numbers. Its more likely that, for visitors of this website, LR is a higher percentage of sales than is actually occuring across tesla itself.

TL; DR -- this data is cool but only represents people who both visit this website and took the time to fill out the data, so is likely no where near close to teslas actual numbers.

I was especially interested in the avg number of days from receipt of VIN to Delivery so I created the Tableau Public VIZ linked below. You can filter by Interior color, Trim level and Color. The break out is by State and the value is the avg # of days. California, not surprisingly is just a few days and the southern states have the longest wait.

Data is cleaned up a bit and all waits longer than 90 days (or less than 1) are removed as those would either be same day purchases or people who likely refused first delivery. I also limited the delivery years to 2020 and 2021 since I presume things have changed over time. You can highlight over an individual state to see the sample size as well. The graph updates daily automatically from the spreadsheet.

No promises to keep this around or update/change for individual requests.. but thought it might help to share expected wait times from VIN showing up on screen. Other avg # days seem much less helpful because it really depends on when in the quarter you make your reservation.

Reactions: JindoFuzz
I was especially interested in the avg number of days from receipt of VIN to Delivery so I created the Tableau Public VIZ linked below. You can filter by Interior color, Trim level and Color. The break out is by State and the value is the avg # of days. California, not surprisingly is just a few days and the southern states have the longest wait.

Data is cleaned up a bit and all waits longer than 90 days (or less than 1) are removed as those would either be same day purchases or people who likely refused first delivery. I also limited the delivery years to 2020 and 2021 since I presume things have changed over time. You can highlight over an individual state to see the sample size as well. The graph updates daily automatically from the spreadsheet.

No promises to keep this around or update/change for individual requests.. but thought it might help to share expected wait times from VIN showing up on screen. Other avg # days seem much less helpful because it really depends on when in the quarter you make your reservation.
due to the naming convention of the rows being dynamic, I have to manually update the visualization each time the data refreshes. So.. I'll just leave this image from the most recent update for reference for others to set expectations from day of VIN receipt to actual delivery date:

1616182525416.png