Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stats after nearly a decade and 250k Tesla miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ChadS

Last tank of gas: March 2009
Jul 16, 2009
Redmond, WA
Our first Tesla was Roadster #690 purchased in 2009. It replaced our last gas car, a Prius we had converted to a plug-in hybrid and put about 30k electric miles on it. (Our other car was a 2003 Toyota RAV4-EV; it had 60k miles when we sold it). We put 57k miles on the Roadster. Since then, all of our cars have been Teslas:

• Model S Signature #112 purchased September 2012 (replaced my wife's old RAV4-EV). We put 88k miles on it.
  • Model S P90DL leased September 2016 (replaced the Roadster). We have put 26k miles on it so far.
  • Model X 100D purchased December 2017 (replaced the Signature S). We have put 5k miles on it so far.
  • Model 3 LR purchased May 2018 (will replace the P90DL when it goes back from lease). We have put on...very few miles - so far. This will change!

2012 Fleet.jpg

I see a lot of people on the forums that have never had an EV before, or at least not a Tesla, and have some questions. So I thought I'd throw out a quick summary of my experience so far:

Plug-in vehicles owned7
Teslas owned5
Road trips taken18 trips that I consider long (over 500 miles). Maybe twice that many if you count all trips where I charged along the way
Fuel dollars saved by buying electricity instead of gas$17,500 - that's a rough guess, as I have not kept track
Breakdowns0
Number of times I ran out of charge0
Number of times we couldn't get where we wanted to go because we were driving electric0
Number of times we had to drive slowly, or turn down the heat to save battery0
Number of times we wished we still had a gas car0
Number of people we have run in to that have been critical about the cars~10
Number of people we have run in to that have been complimentary about the cars~300
Number of people we have run in to that have been curious about the carsThousands (I take my cars to many events, so this number really is in the tens of thousands)

Just cars, front fan.jpg

There is a LOT of negativity online, because TSLA is a volatile stock and people are trying to make the price go up or down. You will not run in to that many negative people in real life. Tesla is not perfect; like any company they have some real problems but online they are either blown out of proportion or replaced by completely imaginary concerns.

Our ownership experience has been wonderful - no regrets!

Apologies if any feel this post is repetitive - I had posted some similar information in ANOTHER THREAD (before our 3 arrived) describing some of the differences between ordering our first Tesla and the fifth one.

Last edited:
My other thread was meant to be a "look how far Tesla has come" for other Tesla owners. I am hoping this thread is more of a very brief ownership overview for not-yet-owners. I had posted a similar thread several years ago (HERE), but that was a large wall of text and updating it over the years became unwieldy.

Of the 10 negative people mentioned in the table, 4 of them just shouted something rude as I drove by. The other 6 (really, that's it out of many thousands of people) were not mean, they just were convinced that EVs "won't work". The vast majority of people I talk to have some doubts and misinformation, but are unsure enough to ask about them and they are happy to learn about my experiences.