Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stats or Teslafi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dunno anything about Stats. Link please?

I've been using TeslaFi for over 3 years. It has certainly had a lot of love and improvements in that time. I also used TeslaLog at the outset, but that has had no improvement at all of late so I ditched it. (It had a nice feature when when you moved the "slider" along the Energy/Speed/SOC/etc. graph a little car Icon moved along the map so you could see where you were at that time ... TeslaFi has the raw data display to enable you to do that, but not that one slick visual presentation feature ... but it has loads and loads of stuff that TeslaLog never did ...)

TeslaFi has a trial period (2 weeks, extended to a month if you use someone's referral code - make sure you do that WHEN you register, and not until you have your car), so plenty of opportunity to see-before-you-buy.

I do recommend you do it from "day one" though, 'coz the data is only available from when the APP starts logging, there is no retrospective data availability, and the Battery Depredation Report is only any use if you have a base line to compare against ...

I posted some Pretty Pictures in a thread recently: Winter is coming (and the following message)

TeslaFi have info on a slightly non-obvious sub domain : about.teslafi.com

I've been using TeslaFi for over 3 years. It has certainly had a lot of love and improvements in that time. I also used TeslaLog at the outset, but that has had no improvement at all of late so I ditched it. (It had a nice feature when when you moved the "slider" along the Energy/Speed/SOC/etc. graph a little car Icon moved along the map so you could see where you were at that time ... TeslaFi has the raw data display to enable you to do that, but not that one slick visual presentation feature ... but it has loads and loads of stuff that TeslaLog never did ...)

TeslaFi has a trial period (2 weeks, extended to a month if you use someone's referral code - make sure you do that WHEN you register, and not until you have your car), so plenty of opportunity to see-before-you-buy.

I do recommend you do it from "day one" though, 'coz the data is only available from when the APP starts logging, there is no retrospective data availability, and the Battery Depredation Report is only any use if you have a base line to compare against ...

I posted some Pretty Pictures in a thread recently: Winter is coming (and the following message)

Thank you. So if I register now does the trial not start until I get the car?

On which device do you set it up? It looks interesting.

Can’t comment on Teslafi but I downloaded the Stats app after I picked my car up yesterday. I was attracted not so much by the in depth analysis of the state of the car rather than the Siri commands I can send to the car using Siri on my Apple Watch. Yeah a bit sad, I know :p Having said that I love the app anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Stats is this one I think

Thanks. I had a look, but I could only find some screen shots and no description (presumably it is logging data indefinitely, but if so how are they funding that for what appears to be a one-off fee?). The graphics look nice, but I'm a detail-person and prefer the amount of data that TeslaFi displays. I would also prefer to see that on PC rather than a small-screen phone-like device ... there is a lot to see.

I think the primary issues to consider with this type of thing are:

Security - the APP has access to the car owner's Tesla account. Is that likely to be secure? (TeslaFi allows uploading of a Token, rather than having to provide My Tesla Password, and they have a lot of users, so a "let's stel some Teslas" business model is unlikely to be on the cards ... TeslaFi shows over 7,000 active users, and at $50 p.a. James is making $350K a year, I guess he can afford his only Roadster II already! Stats looks as though it has only been around since February?

By the by, the number of users is important if you are interested in the Fleet Statistics - what version of Firmware is everyone else on, is your car failing to download new versions "promptly" for some reason? Mine had that problem for more than 6 months ... cured now :)

Parasitic power use - TeslaFi has plenty of advice on how to avoid the car keeping the car "awake" constantly. With multiple 3rd party apps open (or anything badly behaved) the outcome will be significant battery consumption whilst parked.

My advice, to a Newbie, would be to try all the 3rd party APPs you want to, and then change your My Tesla Password (which will disable all such APPs immediately), and then do Changed Password on the one(s) you actually want to use.

• Informative
Reactions: m3gt2 and Christiez
Teslafi is the only one I've used and I'm less than 2 months in to it but I'm certain I'll stick with it (or an alternative if something better came along).

Key benefits for me are:
- what you can achieve with the schedules: eg if you look at grid carbon intensity you may decide there's a very big benefit to charging between say 11pm to 7am, even if like me you don't have the means to benefit financially (yet)
- ability to find out eg SoC without waking the car (as the app does)
- appeals to the geek in me

On schedules, what I do is alter charge limits so its set at 55% during the day and 80 at night, figuring then it'll still always charge to a min level in the unusual event we've taken SoC quite low and it'll get to 80% for morning on the slow charger we're using at the mo, but the vast majority of our charging will be at night, when carbon intensity of grid elec tends to be (far) lower. When I get a proper charge point I expect % and hours to change a lot. Don't take the last windless 24 hours as an example for gCO2/kWh though!

Cons
- it's a website rather than an app
- you might need to tinker with the sleep modes

My advice, to a Newbie, would be to try all the 3rd party APPs you want to, and then change your My Tesla Password (which will disable all such APPs immediately), and then do Changed Password on the one(s) you actually want to use.

This.

If you're anything like me you need to satisfy yourself around the options before purchase. I struggled a bit with the android app I tried (didn't offer much beyond tesla app - maybe in part a demonstration of why teslafi works as a Web page?) so changed password to get away from it after trial period. Ios apps might be much better.

it's a website rather than an app

That's a Pro for me ... but I'm not in my first flush of youth :)

alter charge limits so its set at 55% during the day

Interesting idea. If I come how "low" (for me that would be < 20%) I charge immediately, rather than waiting for scheduled charging, more because it is better for the battery not to sit at low state of charge ...

... but setting to 50% will mean having to remember to change it at Supercharger, and I reckon I might easily forget.

Could do with a schedule option for "Charge if below X% when at (HOME,WORK, xxx)"

... but I'm not in my first flush of youth :)

Nor am I!
I'm a mess though and have currently 35 tabs open on my phone browser. Teslafi obvs better on proper screen but for things I just want a quick look at the phone's closer to hand.

Interesting idea. If I come how "low" (for me that would be < 20%) I charge immediately, rather than waiting for scheduled charging, more because it is better for the battery not to sit at low state of charge ...

... but setting to 50% will mean having to remember to change it at Supercharger, and I reckon I might easily forget.

Could do with a schedule option for "Charge if below X% when at (HOME,WORK, xxx)"

That's kind of what I think this achieves, if I read you right. I get home and plug in and if it's low it'll charge to 55% which should be more than enough for any unexpected need later in the day. If it isn't low it'll just sit there. Then either way when low(er) carbon night time hits it charges from there to 80% to ready itself for tomorrow. So no need for supercharger use unless I would've done anyway.

I haven't played with start and stop times as an alternative. Would there be advantages to that over the above?