Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Status of Model Y Issues Tesla is expected to fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bobfitz1

Supporting Member
Sep 24, 2012
Ludlow, Vt
Adding this thread to track status of MY issues we hope to see addressed and corrected.
Two examples are: 1. It was revealed some weeks/months ago that seat structural safety
test(s) were old and deficient. There was an accident situation identified that would cause
seats to break in a way likely to be fatal, but seats in many cars (including Teslas) pass the
deficient test with no problem. My recollection is that some minor structural changes to the
seats would resolve the safety concern. I have not read any follow up that Tesla plans to
make the needed change.

2. There was an article some weeks ago that there is a design issue with Model Y hatch that
allows a rear end fender bender to extensively damage back end parts and lead to huge
repair expense to fix.

Does anyone recall these and have further information on whether and when Tesla is going
to fix these issues? If anyone has concerns about other issues with uncertain outcomes, please
add them to this thread.

Adding this thread to track status of MY issues we hope to see addressed and corrected.
Two examples are: 1. It was revealed some weeks/months ago that seat structural safety
test(s) were old and deficient. There was an accident situation identified that would cause
seats to break in a way likely to be fatal, but seats in many cars (including Teslas) pass the
deficient test with no problem. My recollection is that some minor structural changes to the
seats would resolve the safety concern. I have not read any follow up that Tesla plans to
make the needed change.

2. There was an article some weeks ago that there is a design issue with Model Y hatch that
allows a rear end fender bender to extensively damage back end parts and lead to huge
repair expense to fix.

Does anyone recall these and have further information on whether and when Tesla is going
to fix these issues? If anyone has concerns about other issues with uncertain outcomes, please
add them to this thread.
I do not know anything about item 1, but I had heard about item 2. I have a Y and this is an inherent design flaw since the lip on the top of the hatch protrudes a fair amount, and the back of the car is kind of flat in general. It would require a significant design change to fix this. To be honest in the world of painted bumpers a mild fender bender in any of my cars will cost at least $1000 to fix.

The hatch issue was addressed as best they could without a redesign. The hatch on latest builds are pulled in just past the bumper. Doesn’t look the best up close and probably not incredibly effective, but the bumper will contact first. Take a look at just about any crossover these days and if you back into anything more than just a light tap, the hatch is damaged.

E8DACFD6-0862-4A01-BABE-33E86B8805E0.jpeg
7E4A4E32-BB63-42CB-ACF1-2563F1932D88.jpeg
CF1EB02F-CA6D-48E2-8D17-DDECCCB39CBA.jpeg

Reactions: X Fan
The hatch issue was addressed as best they could without a redesign. The hatch on latest builds are pulled in just past the bumper. Doesn’t look the best up close and probably not incredibly effective, but the bumper will contact first. Take a look at just about any crossover these days and if you back into anything more than just a light tap, the hatch is damaged.
This is one thing I looked at when I took delivery Sunday. There were about 10 Ys waiting, and I noticed my hatch was slightly inset from the bumper. Despite that, all the other gaps and alignments looked spot on (my panel gaps are pretty darn good).

So I walked down the line and they were all like this. A lot of the pictures I've seen of the hatch in the past showed it flush, so I was surprised. This might help if you get a faint tap on the bumper, but it won't take much to push a plastic bumper in enough to hit the hatch anyway.