Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Status of my Model S P85 after 3-plus years and 55,000 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that I’ve passed 3 years of ownership and 55,000 miles of driving (including a cross-country trip) I thought it might be informative to post the current status of the car in several categories.

Range: When new, my 85 Kwh battery, charged to 90 percent, provided 224-225 miles of range. Today it provides 220-221 -- less then a 2% decline in range. I rarely fully charge the battery and follow Tesla’s general advice about maintaining battery longevity.

Exterior paint and finish, interior: With weekly washings and frequent detailing, the car still looks as good as new. Permanon Jet Shine, which I’ve now been using for about 6 months, certainly helps maintain the like-new appearance. The interior is cleaned when the car is washed and detailed and the leather treated with top quality materials annually. It also looks like new.

Major problems and repairs: Two drive train replacements, two 12v battery replacements, one door handle fix, and one GPS fix – all covered under warranty at no cost. Everything else has been very minor. As I have ranger service, all of this has been done at little inconvenience to me.

Tire wear: I’ve been through three full tire replacements, the first within 10K miles. The problem has been uneven wear on the rear tires. But since I installed adjustable real camber links, the rear wear problem has diminished dramatically. I got 40K miles out of my 2nd set and they probably had another 10K left when I replaced them last month.

In all I could not be more pleased. Service has been outstanding and performance of the car remains exceptional.

Now that I’ve passed 3 years of ownership and 55,000 miles of driving (including a cross-country trip) I thought it might be informative to post the current status of the car in several categories.

Range: When new, my 85 Kwh battery, charged to 90 percent, provided 224-225 miles of range. Today it provides 220-221 -- less then a 2% decline in range. I rarely fully charge the battery and follow Tesla’s general advice about maintaining battery longevity.

Exterior paint and finish, interior: With weekly washings and frequent detailing, the car still looks as good as new. Permanon Jet Shine, which I’ve now been using for about 6 months, certainly helps maintain the like-new appearance. The interior is cleaned when the car is washed and detailed and the leather treated with top quality materials annually. It also looks like new.

Major problems and repairs: Two drive train replacements, two 12v battery replacements, one door handle fix, and one GPS fix – all covered under warranty at no cost. Everything else has been very minor. As I have ranger service, all of this has been done at little inconvenience to me.

Tire wear: I’ve been through three full tire replacements, the first within 10K miles. The problem has been uneven wear on the rear tires. But since I installed adjustable real camber links, the rear wear problem has diminished dramatically. I got 40K miles out of my 2nd set and they probably had another 10K left when I replaced them last month.

In all I could not be more pleased. Service has been outstanding and performance of the car remains exceptional.

Fantastic feedback, I'm pleased that you're happy with as a Tesla owner and also good to know that my car will be in top condition at 3yrs/50k mi!

I am at 55K(well, 54238 today) too - <1 mo shy of 4 years, V1538. quite a few more replacement parts than you but just 1 DU. and no parts for ~ 2 years now. Battery was swapped in the early contactor upgrade period around the time they stopped swapping batteries and would just retrofit them. So I have a B battery with ~35k miles and 225@90%. 3 years of autocross, a hillcilmb + many enduro races ... and 8 sets of tires!

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
I am often asked the question regarding the longevity of the Model S specifically the battery. I have recently passed 76,000 miles and 90% charge is at 259. Purchased as a CPO with 45,400 miles and have replaced drivers door handle and primary charger thru a Ranger who performed the work in my garage. DU, 12vt. battery and tires were replaced during the CPO inspection. I have rotated tires every 6k and have 30,500 miles on this set. The only maintenance that I do now is keep her clean.

Great post artsi! Could you elaborate on the adjustable rear camber links because my 2013 CPO P85 went through a set of rears in about 6K miles! Luckily, Michelin covered them under a tread warranty, but they will surely not do that forever. Love, Love, Love this car.

Already looking at the EV CPO site on which one to get next. I have brown metallic, and will go for green metallic next time around. And there WILL be a next time.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Can you elaborate on "Tesla’s general advice about maintaining battery longevity"

Always plug in if possible. Charge daily between 30% and abut 80% of charge. Only charge to full capacity when necessary and leave the car in a full state of charge for as short a time as possible (when I do a full charge I charge to 90% at night then top off to full in the morning then try to leave as soon as the full charge is achieved).

Great post artsi! Could you elaborate on the adjustable rear camber links because my 2013 CPO P85 went through a set of rears in about 6K miles! Luckily, Michelin covered them under a tread warranty, but they will surely not do that forever. Love, Love, Love this car.

Already looking at the EV CPO site on which one to get next. I have brown metallic, and will go for green metallic next time around. And there WILL be a next time.

There's a whole thread on the adjustable read camber links. Here's the link. Supurkar, who's a good friend, had a shop in New Jersey make them for him and the shop made them available to all takers.

Last edited:
Tire wear: ...The problem has been uneven wear on the rear tires.
But since I installed adjustable real camber links, the rear wear problem has diminished dramatically.
I got 40K miles out of my 2nd set and they probably had another 10K left when I replaced them last month.

Could you give some information about the adjustable real camber links?

(Was not mentionned in Modifications to car made since delivery )