Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Status of my Model S P85 after 3-plus years and 55,000 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Range: When new, my 85 Kwh battery, charged to 90 percent, provided 224-225 miles of range. Today it provides 220-221 -- less then a 2% decline in range. I rarely fully charge the battery and follow Tesla’s general advice about maintaining battery longevity.

Take another look at your 90% range at new ... I think you mean 245 rather than 225. Mine is an Apr 2013 and that's about where I am. 245 new and 226-227 with 51k miles.

Good update on how things are going.

Take another look at your 90% range at new ... I think you mean 245 rather than 225. Mine is an Apr 2013 and that's about where I am. 245 new and 226-227 with 51k miles.

Good update on how things are going.

I'm similar... P85 from late 2013 with 52k miles...
New I was getting 265-268 at 100%, and 238-240 at 90%
Now it is 255 at 100% and 228 at 90%.

I was under the impression that at the start of 2013 a "standard charge" might have been 80% not 90%... so maybe the 225 was actually at 80%?

Tire wear: I’ve been through three full tire replacements, the first within 10K miles. The problem has been uneven wear on the rear tires. But since I installed adjustable real camber links, the rear wear problem has diminished dramatically. I got 40K miles out of my 2nd set and they probably had another 10K left when I replaced them last month.

What size wheels do you have? Stock or after market?

Jealous of some of you guys. 55k miles here and my 2013 P85 gets 222-221 on 90% and less than 250 @ 100%. I have had 3 drive unit replacements. The last one Tesla did without me asking. Have had a lot of other things fixed though... too many to name in fact. Rear liftgate strut, 2 door handles, bumper oozing orange, hatch handle leaking water (still), squeaky driver's seat they just couldn't get right, two wheel bearings, and my internal charger died right before warranty... I didn't buy the extended warranty. Something tells me I'll live to regret that.

Very early 2013 here (so, early, period). Coming up on 50,000. 60kWh - charges to ≈175 miles at 90%. After a list of issues that Tesla took care of (the usual suspects from back then; drive unit x2, door handles x4; wind noise from windows), the repair list has long since settled down and I'm really enjoying the car.

However my needs are outgrowing the S and I see an X in my future. Can't wait to see what 4 years of progress have done!

@artsci: I got 40K miles out of my 2nd set and they probably had another 10K left when I replaced them last month.

If those were on 21's, I am going to shoot myself! I can't get more than 10K. And Tesla is great when I go in every time with exact specs on alignment. They do it. My tire wear is flat even: no camber wear at all, surprisingly enough. And I use low on the highway. I do live in the mountains. But really, most of my driving is the daily boring stuff. I'm using Hankooks, which I like. I'm on my second set. And I can't seem to stretch them past 10K.

I think I am going to try the Conti silents, at 2.5X more than the Hankooks, just for fun. Yes...lame. It would be nice to have a quieter drive if they do indeed deliver.

My P85 (VIN 3xxx) was built at the end of 2012 (delivered in January 2013) and has 77K miles.

We are considering purchasing a 100D (if/when they become available) as the replacement long distance car.

4 years ago, our fully loaded P85 cost $104,420. Today, a fully loaded 90D would cost $114,000.

What do we get for the additional $10K?
  • same performance - 0-60 in 4.2 seconds
  • 30 miles more range
  • power folding mirrors
  • parking sensors
  • collision avoidance
  • automatic emergency braking
  • LED adaptive headlamps
  • bio-weapon air filtration
  • enhanced autopilot ($5K option)
  • full self driving (future, $3K option)
  • all-wheel drive/dual motors
  • premium leather seats
  • center console with phone dock
  • back cupholders with USB ports
  • air cooled ventilated seats
Most of the cost difference is EAP/FSD. Tesla was able to add the rest of the features into the 90D, at no additional cost, compared to a P85.

We don't know what the cost of the 100D will be. Based on the price difference between the P90DL and P100DL, a 100D might cost $10K more than a 90D - which would put the total cost to $124K.

While we want the longer range and EAP/FSD, if a fully loaded 100D ends up cost $124K, it may be hard to pull the trigger on a car costing $20K more than our 4 year old P85...

^^ this.
I am really glad the P85 was the top option when I got it. I really could not afford anything more! - even this was a bit 'insane' for me.
I will make a thread with all of my cars info in a couple of weeks when I hit 4 yrs exactly....lots and lots of data! my Xcel speadsheet is getting really slow with 4000+ lines of trip data

+ I need to do a 'piece' on the Artsci/Danal sick rear applique, it gets more attention than the car

Just another marker. I'm < 1 month from my 4 year anniversary and right at 75,000 miles on my 2012 S85.

Range: When new, my 85 Kwh battery, charged to 90 percent, provided 242 miles of range. Today it provides 221-226 -- About 6% loss, and at 100% originally I got 262, now about 251 - around 4% loss.

Exterior paint and finish, interior: Still in pretty good shape. I keep the car garaged at home, but it sits outside all day, 5 days a week, at work.

Major problems and repairs: One drive train replacements, one 12v battery replacements, 4 door handle fixes, and one door leak fixed that required replacement of the headliner. I've had some damage that I caused-once to the suspension, once to some rims. There have been a multitude of other small repairs (VIN 1267) and replacements and enhancements. Other than the rims, I've paid nothing for repairs. As I, too, have ranger service, all of this has been done at little inconvenience to me.

Tire wear: I’ve been through three full tire replacements, getting around 22-26k/set.

II, too, am exceptionally happy. I'm jealous of all the newer features that I don't have, but I just can't justify the financial hit to upgrade. Will run this one into the dirt

Reactions: Brass Guy
^^ this. + I need to do a 'piece' on the Artsci/Danal sick rear applique, it gets more attention than the car

That's been my experience. I've lost count of the time people behind me at stop lights pull out their phone cameras to take photos of the applique in operation. And when the car is parked with the applique doing its thing it stops passersby dead in their tracks.

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
3 years and about 2 months, 87k miles. Similar - a few drive train replacements due to noises/clunks, a bunch of door handles, a few trunk latches (non-tech, manual latch), coolant pumps, a couple UMCs - aside from the trunk latches the typical 2013 stuff.
More recently the front brake pads were found rusted to the calipers, but I freed them up and they work great again.

Tires - I have one winter set I bought for the 2nd winter that may last one more winter, and am just about to the wear marks on my 2nd set of OEM all-seasons. So I guess I'm doing pretty well with 3 sets total. I was rotating the tires early on, but they wear so evenly I don't bother anymore except when I change back after the seasons.

This was quite a stretch for me, so I'll also
run this one into the dirt
and keep my fingers crossed it'll be a very long time!

P.S. - Still on my original 12V too!

That's been my experience. I've lost count of the time people behind me at stop lights pull out their phone cameras to take photos of the applique in operation. And when the car is parked with the applique doing its thing it stops passersby dead in their tracks.

I was down at my local Dublin Service Center for a 'fast lane' adjustment to a right rear exterior door handle (...the usual 'over-present' and auto-unlatch). The techs had not seen the rear applique and were enthralled. Had to do the full light show, plus explain the install and pull the left inside handle to show them Danal's controller. All good.

Reactions: HankLloydRight