Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stay in car or Eat/shop while supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Rocky_H Do you have any examples of remaining 120kW superchargers? Not saying there aren't any, just wondering where some are. I'm sure the number is dwindling, and once V3 rolls out in 3 months (probably)/6 months (definitely) they might be the first to be swapped.
Yes, most of the ones in my region of the country that were built a few years ago are the 120kW kind, and you're in Utah, so I would think it's some of the same ones you use.
Pendleton, The Dalles, and Baker City Oregon
Boise and Twin Falls Idaho
Tremonton and Salt Lake City Utah
Winnemucca, Elko, and West Wendover Nevada
They were built before Tesla switched to doing the 135 or 144kW style.

I don't get why you would say the number of them is "dwindling", except that the % of the total is "dwindling" just because all of the new ones being built now aren't 120kW kind. That seems like their acceptable minimum, so they don't seem to be doing any retrofitting or upgrading of those.

Yes, most of the ones in my region of the country that were built a few years ago are the 120kW kind, and you're in Utah, so I would think it's some of the same ones you use.

I don't get why you would say the number of them is "dwindling", except that the % of the total is "dwindling" just because all of the new ones being built now aren't 120kW kind. That seems like their acceptable minimum, so they don't seem to be doing any retrofitting or upgrading of those.

Salt Lake City is most certainly 145kW. I've seen it from the service guy when he showed me the fun app they have that shows supercharger health (which chargers inside the stack have failed).

I'm almost certain that all the ones on 80 west of SLC are now 145kW as well, just from road tripping that route a lot and being paired frequently. The only other ones on your list I've been to is Twin Falls and Boise but I was solo charging there so can't comment.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
All the ones centered on DC (District of Columbia) ranging up into MD, PA and down in VA (i.e. all the ones that show up on Teslas "Find a Super Charger" page based on my location are 120 kW.

Nice try, but wrong. Every (non-urban) supercharger on the "Find a Supercharger" page is rated at max 120kW PER CAR. That rating is not the total kW available at the station (per pair).

Last edited:
Just parroting what it says on the website: "up to 120 kW". Could be per car I guess. It doesn't say.

Again, nice try, but you are still wrong. It doesn't need to say. It's what's available for travelers to see what their max charge rate could be (say for instance if a SC is degraded, Tesla can change that in the Nav screen to warn people). There are no (non-urban) superchargers on the map that say anything greater than max charge 120kW. It is per car whether you believe it or not. Just try to find one that says anything greater than 120kW. You won't. You can either click on every single SC, or just download the entire dataset from supercharger.info that has the max charge rate available PER CAR (echoing what's on Tesla's website). No car (yet) can charge faster than 120kW, so why would Tesla say "max charge 144kW" if no car can charge that fast? Or what you like to call "common sense".

Even the newest, most recently activated supercharges still say "max charge 120kW" and we know those are all 144kW SC cabinets.

The Urban SCs say max charge 72kW.

Last edited:
Just parroting what it says on the website: "up to 120 kW". Could be per car I guess. It doesn't say.

Again, nice try, but you are still wrong.
So which part is wrong? That I parroted what it says on the website? That the website says "up to 120 kW"? That I'm guessing it could be per car? Or that it doesn't say? Or all or the above?

Last edited:
Your original statement that you're trying to double down on and make up lame excuses as to why you posted something totally wrong ("it doesn't say"). It won't work. Your original statement that you thought was backing up Rocky_h's valid statement that some older SC cabinets are still 120kW.. is still woefully incorrect. I don't need to explain it further.

Salt Lake City is most certainly 145kW. I've seen it from the service guy when he showed me the fun app they have that shows supercharger health (which chargers inside the stack have failed).

I'm almost certain that all the ones on 80 west of SLC are now 145kW as well, just from road tripping that route a lot and being paired frequently. The only other ones on your list I've been to is Twin Falls and Boise but I was solo charging there so can't comment.
OK, I'll take it. I hadn't heard of any retrofitting like that. The Salt Lake City one sure makes sense, because Salt Lake City has a delivery center, which is crazy busy, so the Supercharger there has been seeing really heavy use with a lot of pairing, so there is a lot of benefit to increasing the capacity on that one. I'm not sure I would make that assumption about the low use ones like Boise and Baker City, etc. I always look when I drive by, and I'm still excited when I see it not empty.

Continuing the off topic, sorry. Here's is the nameplate for the Evanston SC. It is of the 135kW type.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiver
Continuing the off topic, sorry. Here's is the nameplate for the Evanston SC. It is of the 135kW type.
Hey we are way off the rails, doesn't mean we can't continue down the track I suppose...

Anyway, wow on that! The Evanston SC was very recent, in the last 18 months, so having the older chargers put in is surprising. While I've only been there once, I was the first person to use it. Now I know I should check all the backend cabinets for that sticker going forward.

/edit. Based on that photo, I wouldn't be all that surprised if the chargers west on 80 towards SF also are 135kW or under.

(Continuing the off topic stuff). So I took a trip last week from Utah out to Tahoe and made note of the charger speed (that I could see).
Tooele UT, West Wendover, Elko, Winne NV and Lovelock NV were all 135kW cabinets. Interestingly both the original and the recently added cabinets in Truckee were 135kW as well. I tried the other Truckee supercharger (Brockway Rd) with reduced service but it was dark and snowy so couldn't see the cabinets there. The ones I could I got pics of the stickers on the cabinets. The one at Atlantis in Reno I couldn't see into the area where the cabinets are.
I'm heading to Jackson WY today so I'll try and peek at those also.

To get the thread back on track, Truckee CA - Brockway Rd has a ton of great dining nearby to eat while supercharging, but there are ZERO food options at the Evanston WY charger, buy snacks elsewhere and bring it with you for that one.

It really depends on how long I’m gonna be there. One of my local super chargers in San Diego is at a mall, so I like to park there and head in to see if I can score any good deals on stuff I have been looking for. I live about 45 miles away from where I work and shop and there’s not a whole lot around me for stores but I spend 8 hours a day at work, 2 hours a day in traffic, so I don’t generally go shopping after work, and I try to stay home on weekends. When I pop by a supercharger it is generally for a quick bit just because I had to run errands for work or other such reasons (kids forgot to plug the charge cable in after doing laundry is a big one :/). One of the first times I took a trip up the coast I stopped at a supercharger and a woman with a 3 came in just after me. We got to chatting because I’d never seen one in person so I was very interested to see it. Other than that it’s almost like going to a gas station for me.