Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stay in car or Eat/shop while supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a brief article from a British site that goes a bit into how the super chargers split the juice. Might be of interest.
http://teslapedia.org/model-s/tesla-driver/supercharging/

Yes, thank you -- that only proves exactly what I've been describing to you about 16 times now? But I guess you haven't been listening?
, if two cars of equally low charge are connected to the same supercharger unit then the system splits power between them in a way that favours the car that arrived at the supercharger first. The second car therefore gets a smaller share of the available power initially, but this increases over time as the first car’s battery fills and its maximum charge rate reduces.

This doesn't go into enough detail (I'm just repeating myself, but you don't seem to hear it).. but the car that arrives first will get up to 120kW of energy. The second car will a significantly reduced rate until the first car starts to taper down. The first car will not see the charge rates being "split" as you claimed in your initial post, which is what I was responding to. The total energy of the supercharger stack is always shared between the two stalls, but the power is not split when the second car arrives, because there is always spare power available for the second car even when the first car is pulling the maximum charge. Do you get it yet? The problem is your use of the word "split".. the total power is not split, it's shared. The first car does not see the power reduced or "split" when the second car arrives. Are we done yet?

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
"if two cars of equally low charge are connected to the same supercharger unit then the system SPLITS power between them in a way that favours the car that arrived at the supercharger first. The second car therefore gets a smaller share of the available power initially, but this increases over time as the first car’s battery fills and its maximum charge rate reduces."

Amazing.

Ok, sure, so one other person chooses the word "split" and THAT proves your invalid assertion? Please. And you accuse me of grasping at straws? Unbelievable.

I'm going to try this one final time, in different words hopefully you'll actually understand. But somehow I doubt it. No matter what I or anyone else says, you hold onto your faulty beliefs like a religion.

Here we go.

There is never any "splitting" happening. There is "sharing" though. Under normal circumstances, a supercharging cabinet has a total of 144kW of energy to provide to two stalls.

Car A arrives, and consumes as much as 120kW out of that 144kW of energy. There is always a reserve of energy left over for Car B, if/when it arrives. When Car B arrives, it get this reserve energy, plus any left over that Car A no longer needs, because Car A may be tapering down. When Car B arrives, there is no actual "splitting" going on, only consuming the reserve available. Car A sees no changes to their charging rate. Car B receives a slower charging rate because Car A was there first.

My whole point here is that the way you originally posted your assertion:

If someone pulls into 2B while 2A is still charging the recifier will split the load between the two cars.

... implies that Car A and Car B will both see reductions in charging speed. That is absolutely NOT the case. The "rectifier" does not split any loads, it only provides Car B the reserve energy.

There are a lot of new Tesla owners reading the forums, and Supercharger pairing is confusing enough already. Your statement just adds to the confusion because it asserts that Car B pulling up to a pair stall will significantly reduce the charging rate of Car A. That is not the case and I personally don't want anyone thinking that what happens, despite your misleading post.

The system is designed to avoid conflicts at the Supercharges where someone already charging won't be hostile to someone pulling into a paired stall thinking the power is suddenly "split" between two cars. Nor does Tesla want people to think that by pulling into a paired stall they would be reducing the charge rate of their neighbor. It's actually a fair system favoring the car that got their first to get most of the power, and in no cases is someone plugging in going to be "splitting" the power between two cars, which is exactly what your statement implies, and is wrong.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and TexasEV
@HankLloydRight I'm going to be polite, but you are very aggressively spreading misinformation based on your mistaken assumption. There are still plenty of Superchargers in the U.S. that are a few years old that have a total power level of 120kW, not 144kW like the newer installations are getting. The secondary car does not just get measly leftover scraps while the primary car always gets all that it wants.

The secondary car does get a guaranteed minimum of 30kW. On the 120kW ones, that does mean that the primary car can get its charge level dropped down a bit to 90kW maximum. Plenty of people have seen this. One of the benefits of the newer installs going to 144kW was giving them enough total power that the 30kW minimum on the secondary car wouldn't have to reduce the primary car's charging rate because there was enough overhead there.

I noticed you gave a link to @Fiver explaining how Supercharger pairing worked, but not to my comment immediately following it, which corrected that small detail.
How pairing at Supercharging works

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
@HankLloydRight I'm going to be polite, but you are very aggressively spreading misinformation based on your mistaken assumption. There are still plenty of Superchargers in the U.S. that are a few years old that have a total power level of 120kW, not 144kW like the newer installations are getting. The secondary car does not just get measly leftover scraps while the primary car always gets all that it wants.

The secondary car does get a guaranteed minimum of 30kW. On the 120kW ones, that does mean that the primary car can get its charge level dropped down a bit to 90kW maximum. Plenty of people have seen this. One of the benefits of the newer installs going to 144kW was giving them enough total power that the 30kW minimum on the secondary car wouldn't have to reduce the primary car's charging rate because there was enough overhead there.

I noticed you gave a link to @Fiver explaining how Supercharger pairing worked, but not to my comment immediately following it, which corrected that small detail.
How pairing at Supercharging works

Yes, I understand that, but my final point is still the most important. In the majority of supercharging events the charge rates are not reduced for the first car to be charging. And if it is, it is reduced a marginal amount, if required to supply 30kW minimum to the second car. But yes, in isolated cases (an older 120kw SC and Car A has a very low state of charge), the charging rate will be reduce more than usual. But not the manner in which ajdelange continues to assert. The energy is not "split" between the cars. As inaccurate as I may be in generalizing the situation as I have, the way ajdelange portrays it is much, much, more inaccurate and would lead to much more confusion if people assume that their charging session will be significantly reduced by another car pulling up, or that their charging session will significantly reduce the charge rate of their neighbors who were there first. I stand by my previous comments to just let the assertion that "the charge is split" to be anything but misleading and disingenuous.

• Disagree

By the way, I did mention that small detail in my post above:

**(There is one uncommon scenario where the second car would draw a small amount of power from the first, but it's not common and not as drastic as your single solitary data point describes.)

But not the manner in which ajdelange continues to assert. The energy is not "split" between the cars.
You and your assumptions again. You are treating this as if the word "split" has a definition of an exact half-and-half, 50%/50% two parts. It doesn't have to mean that, so your wrong assumption about what he said is getting you outraged and in trouble.

As inaccurate as I may be in generalizing the situation as I have, the way ajdelange portrays it is much, much, more inaccurate and would lead to much more confusion if people assume that their charging session will be significantly reduced by another car pulling up, or that their charging session will significantly reduce the charge rate of their neighbors who were there first. I stand by my previous comments to just let the assertion that "the charge is split" to be anything but misleading and disingenuous.
Things can be split many different ways and sometimes very unevenly. Think of royalties agreements between recording labels and artists, for example. They can be all over the map in how unevenly split they are, depending on how much power and leverage each party has. A very uneven 80% 20% split is still a split, and is definitely still is in line with what @ajdelange said. It's not misleading or disingenuous.

By the way, I did mention that small detail in my post above:
Yes, I noticed you threw that fragment in there at the last minute on page 4, but it was too little too late, as you had insisted the opposite of that 9 times with complete absolute finality and with the word "never" underlined. This is why it's a good idea to phrase things with terminology like, "In most cases..." or "Generally..." or "For the most part...". Then, you can be correct instead of what you did, being so arrogant and absolute and therefore wrong.

Reactions: ajdelange
My final and most important point still remains, though. If everyone goes around only saying "power is split between cars" that's going to lead to much more confusion and frustration over what already is something confusing to new people. I'm only trying to get the point across that in most cases seen by most people at most superchargers, the arriving car is not going to have any effect on the already-charging car. It's disingenuous to imply or assert otherwise just due of the use of lazy wording.

• Disagree
what i don't like is the 5min? courtesy time before you have to move after charging is done or be charged. i understand the need for it but so many times i have been in the middle of a meal or far away that i couldn't get back until 30+ minutes.

what i have been doing is making it charge to 100% which guarantees me at least 1 hour+

Amazing how some people can possibly take offense at the Supercharging system that is provided by Tesla as a system to allow very fast charging to Urban owners, as well as long distance travelers.

Each stall is paired to another to maximize convenience. First to charge gets the maximum that their car can take, and the additional capacity is made available for another Tesla that can use up to the maximum capacity of the paired chargers.

Some Tesla can take less charge current than others, so this is perhaps the most efficient usage of the additional stalls.

Sometimes I pull into a paired stall, and can easily plug in to see if the available charge is pretty good. I can then simply walk away, and check from time to time to watch my taper up occure as the first car gets nearer his own taper down.

Owners are free to use any other commercially available system if they feel it gives them a better experience.

As to the OP, lots of us use Supercharging time to chat up other chargers. Have met some very nice people there doing this. I also tend to wander over to people that are having trouble, or seem to be using the charger for the first time. They usually are happy to see an experienced owner, even if to watch them plug in for the first time. Helps them up the learning curve.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
@Rocky_H Do you have any examples of remaining 120kW superchargers? Not saying there aren't any, just wondering where some are. I'm sure the number is dwindling, and once V3 rolls out in 3 months (probably)/6 months (definitely) they might be the first to be swapped.

I mean there's only a handful of 90's left globally. Mostly Japan.