Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Staying On Standard Connectivity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did not renew Premium Connectivity to try Standard- to see if I miss much.

My android phone is set with routine to enable hotspot once bluetooth connects my phone to the car - as in when I open the car door.

I deleted all other known wi-fi on the car except my phone's hotspot - one step that I must do (no automatic way as of yet) is to touch "wi-fi" and select my phone's.

I commute 160 miles every day of the week - same road, same time so I know the traffic pattern. I use google map navigation for other than my daily commute - which is better because google navi warns you of any delay, speed trap, crash, etc - unlike the stock nav on Premium Connectivity. Satellite view is over rated.

I also use my phone's hotspot to view the car's entertainment (Hulu,YouTube,Netflix) - seems to be fine. I stream music via bluetooth.

One thing missing - I wish next OTA update include automation to select "wi-fi" hotspot as primary/permanent internet connection vs the cars LTE - that will mosdef keep me on Standard Connectivity.

how do you have android phone set to enable hotspot once bluetooth connects?

I hope the next OTA update include automation to select "wi-fi" hotspot but I hope Tesla isn't trying to push premium and intentionally harder

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
My trial just ended but I don't plan to purchase the plan, $10 is a reasonable price but it just doesn't provide any value for me. I don't use satellite maps, showing traffic is useless since navigation is always traffic based and you can't really pick alternative routes. I use Pandora for music so I don't use streaming. For any other use I can always use my phone's hotspot.

Reactions: FloridaGary
Did not renew Premium Connectivity to try Standard- to see if I miss much.

My android phone is set with routine to enable hotspot once bluetooth connects my phone to the car - as in when I open the car door.

I deleted all other known wi-fi on the car except my phone's hotspot - one step that I must do (no automatic way as of yet) is to touch "wi-fi" and select my phone's.

I commute 160 miles every day of the week - same road, same time so I know the traffic pattern. I use google map navigation for other than my daily commute - which is better because google navi warns you of any delay, speed trap, crash, etc - unlike the stock nav on Premium Connectivity. Satellite view is over rated.

I also use my phone's hotspot to view the car's entertainment (Hulu,YouTube,Netflix) - seems to be fine. I stream music via bluetooth.

One thing missing - I wish next OTA update include automation to select "wi-fi" hotspot as primary/permanent internet connection vs the cars LTE - that will mosdef keep me on Standard Connectivity.

This is why I started this thread. The above response is what I do and I don’t miss premium connectivity.

I agree. It’s a good value, but I never used the functionality that it brings. I decided to continue without it.....for now.

Yep, that is exactly my thought. I love that those of us in the cheap seats have the ability to get the premium features that were previously unavailable, and think the pricing is fair given the data connection it includes.

It's a much better value than what a lot of other manufacturers offer, and I like how the basic conductivity features such as remote lock/unlock/monitoring are provided without charge. They just gotta fix that streaming interface and I'm in!

Reactions: vickh
Mine expired on the 7th and I don't plan on renewing it for the time being. I only used it for Spotify really. Traffic overlay didn't seem to be useful/accurate (I compared it to google maps) so I never really relied on that and I never used Sat view as I found it to be too busy and distracting.

My Sprint Unlimited plan that I pay $55/month for includes 50GB mobile hotspot. And I already pay $10/m for Spotify Premium. I personally don't see the value in paying $10 more a month for redundancy.

(Although, I will say if Sat view and traffic view was important to me, I would def pay the $10)

Same here, on Sprint, and they give me a free 50gb hotspot
I only really use the internet radio stations
But contrary to what people say, yo ucan turn wifi on and connect after you start your drive
$10/month is not a lot but I just don't need it

Same here, on Sprint, and they give me a free 50gb hotspot
I only really use the internet radio stations
But contrary to what people say, yo ucan turn wifi on and connect after you start your drive
$10/month is not a lot but I just don't need it

you can turn wifi on . But it's an additional step to do AFTER you start driving. I wouldn't mind it so much if it auto connected like BT w/o doing anything.

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
Why can't you see satellite maps or traffic?
I don't know... where are they located? How do I turn it on? When I got the car it had a simple map (no satellite) and there's no indication on the map re: traffic. Is that an option to turn on as well? I have SR+, maybe that's a factor? Honestly, all I see that I'll be missing is the streaming music and netflix. I find the streaming music to be repetitive and no better than pandora (which I have on my phone already) and I think I can use my phone as a hotspot if I ever want to use netflix at a supercharger. What am I missing?

Great on point thread. I just lost my premium connectivity two days ago after my 30 day trial. I was going to see if I missed any of the features, and I really haven't. I stream Sirius through my phone. The streaming tesla radio stations were ok but not great in my opinion. They repeated the same songs over and over again, and my 10 yr old son always skipped songs to find one he liked. Getting rid of that nonsense is worth staying on standard for me. I too didn't trust the live traffic maps for some reason and always compared it to google maps on my phone. The car nav routing takes the traffic into account anyway. I will play around with the hotspot on my phone like several have suggested, many thanks.

hotspot through my phone is fine, but it's a PITA because every time you drive after you park, WIFI turns off again. still, there are so many "extras" we pay for now between netflix and "free prime shipping" it's just hard to swallow ANOTHER expense.

Reactions: AZjohnInCA
I don't know... where are they located? How do I turn it on? When I got the car it had a simple map (no satellite) and there's no indication on the map re: traffic. Is that an option to turn on as well? I have SR+, maybe that's a factor? Honestly, all I see that I'll be missing is the streaming music and netflix. I find the streaming music to be repetitive and no better than pandora (which I have on my phone already) and I think I can use my phone as a hotspot if I ever want to use netflix at a supercharger. What am I missing?

If you have an SR+ you previously never had the option of satellite maps or traffic. This is something they just recently offered as an upgrade to SR+ owners. It’s month to month so just try it out for $10 for a month and see if you like it. If not you can just cancel it.

I’ve used the satellite maps only once. It was at an unfamiliar supercharger at a huge mall. We drove completely around it but couldn’t find the supercharger and the navigate to SC wasn’t specific enough. Brought up the satellite map and zoomed in until we found it.