Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Staying under 10kW AC for net metering reasons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that have similar net metering rules as Massachusetts with Eversouce, where you have to stay under 10kw AC to get 100% netmeetering (and not dip to 60% when over 10kw AC) Tesla's proposal to me includes 2 x 3.8 kW inverters for a total of 7.6 kW AC.

That would introduce a lot of clipping and really limit impact of the installation. Did you get a way to get closer to 10kw? Competitors offer 10 kW AC inverters or micro-inverters that allow me to get to 9.7 kW AC total, close enough.

What did you do?

What's the DC size of the array they're proposing? And do all your panels face the same direction and angle? Or do you have panels facing East/South/West?

IMO, some clipping is optimal. Enphase published a whitepaper saying a 1.20:1.00 DC:AC ratio is the best for efficiency/economics for their IQ Micros.

In my case I have a 12.24 DC / 10kW AC system in MA. When my system was installed Tesla was using Solaredge 10kW inverters. I do not clip all that often, really only a few days last year for maybe an hour or two. What is your DC size?