Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stealing a Tesla - Almost Impossible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an American, I’m not quite sure if I should be offended by this statement or not.

But it's true lol! That's what struck me when I saw that video of English thieves using a relay device to steal a car. I was like "geez, I have to research this to make sure my car isn't at risk of getting ripped off!" So I researched, and lo and behold, not one case of this outside Europe. Not one. The simplest explanation is usually the correct one. We have dumb thieves.

It would make US thieves stupid to not steal in Europe and stupid European thieves to steal in US. Market for stolen Teslas dictate if it should be stolen. So actually they are all quite smart for targeting the right kind of vehicles in the right kind of areas.

The article explains nothing. Just a few things thrown together. No substantial info. Saying 'you need to eventually charge it and that reveals your location' is nonsense. A thieve wouldn't use a Supercharger. Speaking of a recovery rate of 100% when the sample size is 3 will make any statistician cringe.

Reactions: apacheguy
They are definitely getting stolen in the UK. Hence the recent default setting to switch passive entry off, which would prevent the relay attack method. At least we can do that in our Teslas via software. People who own other cars with keyless entry now have to carry their keys around in a special pouch to avoid relay attacks.