Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stealing HPWC cables..why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just saw at an office building that I frequent regularly that their clippercreek and 2 tesla wall chargers had their cables cut just below the box. I mean, how much copper is that worth...$30 a cable at most? I can understand stealing of mobile chargers, but cutting cables of fixed public charging stations (with surveillance cameras) is another level...sad AF. Is there a way to prevent this from happening to a HPWC in a condominium setting? Do the thieves not get shocked when cutting through the cord?

Happens in Canada as well. Seems a few dollars is enough to risk it for some people. Damn thieves... Cables needs to be made of straw :) Seriously, maybe we need smaller wires with liquid cooling so they're not worth much. You know, like V3 superchargers...

Or we need to leave some current on them even before the negociation :mad:

Reactions: TM3blu
I just saw at an office building that I frequent regularly that their clippercreek and 2 tesla wall chargers had their cables cut just below the box. I mean, how much copper is that worth...$30 a cable at most?
Clean scrap copper is currently worth around $2.50/lb right now. But insulated wire is a fraction of that - probably $1.00-1.50 lb or so. Assume that the cables are 15' long, and have the equivalent of 3 10 GA wires in it and they bother stripping the wire to bare cable for maximum value. So 45' of wire. 10 GA wire weighs 31.5 lbs for 1000 ft, so about 1.4 lbs of copper in each cable, worth about $3.50. Even if the cables are 25' long, at most about $6/cable in raw copper.

Yeah, so they vandalized those EVSEs for about $24 of copper at MOST - and probably far less. The cost to repair each one is likely $200-300/ea once you factor in time and labor.

• Informative
Reactions: Matsayz
Why? Sell the copper at a scrap metal recycler. Same reason someone stole the condenser out of my previous house’s AC unit. Cause $1,000 worth of damage to “make” $20 to buy some drugs....

Edit: Selling the cable on eBay or craigslist as a working unit gives these creeps too much credit. They’re too stupid to realize the could sell it for $350 in working condition and will instead just sell the main cable for $20-30 for scrap metal.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Thieves steal copper wire out of street lamps. These are LIVE wires. Do you think they have regard for safety
They are likely doing so to buy illegal drugs that even if you are in favor of legalizing you hbe to admit things like meth aren't made to safe standards.
If willing to take poison cooked in a storage unit by an addict why would you worry about a live wire? A $5 voltage checker can let you know you managed to trip a breaker, how do you know if your illegal drugs are safe and pure?