Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steam or smoke while supercharging 2015 w/o a heat pump

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie here sorry for the long post. Just my style.

Pretty sure my new to me 2015 doesn't have a heat pump right? Searching for "smoke while supercharging" results in a M3 topic where the issue was put to rest as "sometimes happens with heat pumps as you go from battery heating to battery cooling."

I've supercharged 5 times in the past 3 weeks since I got the car. My 240v home charger is going to be a few months away, I need to upgrade my service from 100 to 200A to be on the safe side but I digress.

Today I supercharged at a v3 station after a 35 mile highway leg. Navigated to it so that any necessary preconditioning would take place. Was faster than any previous session including one at the same charger a few days ago which hadn't followed a highway leg. Battery % plus kW rating was consistently 110-115 instead of 80 or 90.

I kept the AC on to see if that mattered this time. 65F out not very humid but the car was in the sun and a bit warm with 4 people inside.

After 30 minutes, it had reached 70%, and i see white puffs of smoke at the right headlight. Remembering my SAAB days I remembered wispy white smoke being a leaking coolant valve. Instiinctively I turn off the AC. Smoke stops.

Unlike the M3/Y discussion of no smell at all we smelled a distinct acrid smell, and I thought car expert dad always said "burning coolant has a sweet smell." (Does tesla use different kind of coolant?) A few minutes later I decide to pop the hood and peel the cover to smell. Mostly had dissipated but smelled not quite as bad as a busted capacitor smell but not quite odorless either.

CPO until January, mobile service is replacing the rearview mirror anyway if they get the part in by Friday, but depending what you add to the service request, it might route you to a SC appointment instead.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Anyone else experience this? I'm getting mobile service to hopefully replace my rearview
20221018_223945.jpg
mirror under warranty and added the smoke issue to my appointment but they'll probably tell me to take it in to a Service Center.

Anyone else experienced this?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
2 mobile service appointments were canceled the morning of the past week, to get the mirror replaced. But now I have an SC appointment on Monday where that will be fixed -part finally arrived today!- and the likely coolant burning issue can be checked out.

Also have a clunk that happens going from accel to decel, whether I step on the brake or if cruise control moves the brake pedal.

I've never had a car where the cruise control actually moves the brake pedal.

Long day but I'm supercharging on my way home from the SC. Typing this on my MCU1, very slowly haha. Got new rearview miror and they checked for coolant leak and found none. AC worked fine for them so no refrigerant leak is suspected (proper pressure verified). Tomorrowit will be cool again, oh well. Previous owner got the eMMC upgraded from 8 to 64GB but it took 5 mins to type this

Newbie here sorry for the long post. Just my style.

After 30 minutes, it had reached 70%, and i see white puffs of smoke at the right headlight. Remembering my SAAB days I remembered wispy white smoke being a leaking coolant valve. Instiinctively I turn off the AC. Smoke stops.
Something very similar happened to me last night here in Maryland and the Edgewater super charger to be precise. It was like 40degrees down there and I Tesla preconditioned before I got there. About 20-25mins into charging, I was watching a movies on Netflix and I see a white smoke from the right side of the headlight area. Last just a few seconds. I thought my car was burning.bi looked underneath and nothing. Opened the Frunk, looked around the car, nothing. Super charger and screen all looked normal. I figured something around that area needed venting to release some pressure or something.

Anyone know what this might be?