Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steam will not use Wi-Fi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m trying to download Steam games to my car, but I cannot seem to get Steam to hook to Wi-Fi, I only see the Tesla network within the Steam settings. I barely have any Tesla LTE network at my house, so I actually have to drive away from my house to get Steam to hookup. Then, it needs a long time to download the games and if I leave the car, it shuts off. It says it will continue to download on Wi-Fi after leaving the car, but I cannot seem to get it to use the Wi-Fi network. My car is hooked to my homes network, so I know that works. Anyone else having this problem?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I think from the name of the system we can tell that the steam is running through a virtual machine (container), so more likely it is using the host OS network through the virtual network switch. That’s just my guess. The Tesla network is using the Wifi, but it’s just won’t show up. That is just how virtualization work. No worries.

Reactions: Denglehenjiule
By the way I have tested by switching between my cellphone hotspot and the home Wi-Fi. It does use the Wi-Fi but just showing the virtual network name.
But does it go to sleep when you exit the car? Been trying to download large games over 100 GB’s. It begins to download while I’m inside the car. But moment I exit, so does the download. The screen in the car panel says games keep downloading on Steam even if you exit car. That’s not what I’m experiencing! Anyone figured out a solution?

Reactions: Evee
But does it go to sleep when you exit the car? Been trying to download large games over 100 GB’s. It begins to download while I’m inside the car. But moment I exit, so does the download. The screen in the car panel says games keep downloading on Steam even if you exit car. That’s not what I’m experiencing! Anyone figured out a solution?
Have you tried setting the car to Camp Mode before you exit? Though beware, you have to explicitly lock the car after you leave.

Reactions: PreguntsAnswrs
It does go to sleep when I tried, and I had to leave the door open.

Occasionally I've been able to get it to continue downloading after I exit. It does seem to go to sleep, but then I check the next morning, the download has made progress. A very large game has taken me as long as a week, doing this every night.

yes, works for me, leave the door cracked open. I know from reading this thread now, why it takes so long to download a game, it does not use wifi!
Placing the car in Camp Mode should keep it awake. Just make sure you manually lock the doors in the app if you decide to leave the area. Camp mode keeps all the accessory outlets powered.

Last edited:
Actually, this was my experience until I installed 2023.2.12. Shut the door with a few gig remaining to update Witcher, next morning it was installed and good to go.
Do you see available wifi SSID’s now? I don’t. Only allows me to choose Tesla Network which is the cellular data plan. And I’m on 2023.6.x. I’ll attempt leaving door open because the Steam app in the car says it won’t work when the car is in camp mode!

Last edited: