TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

SteamCar Challenge

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by malcolm, Aug 15, 2008.

1. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

2. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

They seem to be using the challenge to draw attention to alternate fuels, so I'm willing to cut them some slack.

3. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

Steam powered cars were once quite popular, holding their own against gasoline and electric cars in the marketplace.

When they finally died out, it was more due to a combination of unlucky events rather there being any serious problem with steam technology.

4. Chris H.

Chris H. Member

" ~23 cups of tea per second" - Sign me up! :biggrin:

I bet TJ would be interested too!

All joking aside, this might be an interesting technology if you could integrate a solar-thermal water heater to generate the steam, instead of using LPG. I suppose you could keep some LPG on board as a backup on those cloudy English days... :smile:

Malcolm, how do you find this stuff?

All the best,

Chris H.

5. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

#5 malcolm, Aug 15, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
    I decided to summarise the typical Finkenbusch comment by inventing one: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/11228-post24.html

Pointless of me really.

dpeilow had just posted about the London to Brighton car rally, so I just googled steam car.

But anyway, it just seems to be an exercise in replacing one type of heat engine with a moderately more efficient one.

6. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I thought it was interesting that the guy thought the turbine design wouldn't be all that practical for road cars because of the porr ability to accelerate/decelerate. That may be true, but could it form the basis for a series hybrid?

7. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

#7 malcolm, Aug 15, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
    Bit more info:-

At 25ft (7.6m) long weighing just over 3 tons and using a ton of water every 25 minutes the British Steam car is no ordinary run about. When the car is moving the 40 bar water pressure is maintained using compressed air to fill 2 70-litre hydraulic accumulator bladders. The boilers contain more than 1.86 miles (3Km) of tubing and are insulated with advanced ceramic-and-silica cloth. The burners develop three megawatts of heat. The water boils at 250-degree C because it is at 40 times atmospheric pressure; this is called 'wet' steam. It is then super-heated to 400 degree C 'dry' steam, which is directed down the car via heavily lagged pipes and two industrial steam valves, into a two-stage turbine. The steam is injected into the turbine at more than twice the speed of sound and the turbine spins at up to 13,000rpm. The turbine then drives the rear wheels crown wheel and pinion reduction gear.
    The machine actually runs for less time than it takes to start. It takes eight minutes to get going and has enough fuel, compressed air and water to run for three minutes - the record can be achieved in less than two minutes running time.

British Steam Car Challenge

(click the link on the page to Latest Press Release)

8. Chris H.

Chris H. Member

Malcolm,

I was just about to point out some of the same shortcomings, but you beat me to it... :smile:

9. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

There's a whole subculture growing based on the fantasy that steam technology never did die out. (Or is it that the tech age evolved along with the industrial age, it's never quite clear.)
    Steampunk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1188051596_5288.jpg

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I already posted a steampunk bike here.
    http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/off-topic/1249-steampunk.html
    There are parts of the culture that I embrace. Not all mind you but I do like exposed gears and old mechanical solutions for problems. Not into the brass, just the rust.

11. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Don't forget the movie Brazil...

[​IMG]

12. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

13. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

14. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

15. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

16. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Shouldn't the record be 143-ish, not 139?

oh yeah,

yaa.