TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

steel and aluminum... mostly steel

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by zambono, Apr 1, 2016.

1. zambono

zambono Member

Thats what bloomberg says, anybody confirm this. I didn't hear anything about that, although its common now to have aluminum for non structural parts such as hood and trunk
    Tesla's Model 3 Lives Up to the Hype

2. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

One of the videos of a test ride, the Tesla employee driving said the same... mix of the two, with steel being the majority (not sure if that's by volume or weight).

3. zambono

zambono Member

I am interested to find out the weight of the vehicle, maybe due to the smaller pack size it will be lower than the S

4. K5ING

K5ING MegaMiler

I saw that video of the Tesla employee saying it was steel, but the question, IIRC, was "what was THIS car made out of", to which the employee said "THIS car?", then he mentioned the steel. I almost got the impression that he may have been referring to the actual prototype they were in, and maybe not the production version. Could be wrong though.