TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Steel body complaints

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by irvineboy, Mar 31, 2016.

1. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

Naysayers of the Model 3 are staying away because of the heavy steel body. Aren't most mercedes and bmw and audis all steel body? I think prius and volt are all steel as well. I think only higher end cars like aston martin and ferrari are aluminum, which is why they cost so much more.

2. manitou820

manitou820 Member

Ford F150 is now aluminum and I believe most BMW's are aluminum. It's pretty common today. Part cost isn't as much a factor with aluminum anymore, but the tooling is much more expensive and takes longer to develop/build. But I don't see necessarily as a negative for the Model 3.

3. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Who even said it will be a steel body? Can't speak towards BMW and Mercedes, but Audi has been using plenty of aluminum in their cars for years.

4. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Look at the cost of an aluminium F150. The all steel body Model 3 is not an issue with me.

5. Tanquen

Tanquen Member

Tesla/Musk has said that they have done or looked at doing it in a way that saved on cost but did not hurt weight.

6. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

Most cars nowadays are "hybrid" with combination of steel and aluminium. Vast majority of them has a lot more steel than aluminium. All-aluminium cars are still very rare.

7. Bangor Bob

Bangor Bob Member

Huge chunks of the Prius body are aluminum. Very nice to have in the salt belt.

8. MitchMitch

MitchMitch Lurker In Chief

Is this the Super-Man vs batman thread ? :confused:

9. Transepoch

Transepoch Member

Simple solution is to just go all titanium, right? Then you don't need a separate undercarriage shield.

10. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

There was some commentary on that in Another test ride - Motor Trend but quite unspecific. Apparently it's a mix, with a slight majority of steel, as I understood it.

11. Tanquen

Tanquen Member

Yes, like they have said a few times. I was mainly wondering about the body panels for cost of repairs for small scratches dents. Like the Model S when they're trying to charge 15 grand for a rear quarter panel repair.

12. ImEric

ImEric Member

the BMW i series uses a lot of Aluminum as well as Carbon Fiber.

13. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

Tesla reps told me Model 3 is steel body. To keep the costs down, they could not use aluminum like the Model S was built upon.

14. TSLAholic

TSLAholic Member

It has also been said that steel has different crumple properties from aluminum, and was necessary to improve frontal crash test ratings given a smaller front crumple zone and the fact that the front seat passengers are placed a good bit closer to the front of the interior.

15. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

To the extent that your premise is correct: that naysayers are staying away....I don't believe I'm going out on a very brittle limb to suggest that many naysayers are searching for reasons to justify their saynays. Those same persons would have chimed in had Tesla revealed that the Model 3 was all steel, or all aluminum.

Now, during the ride clips that were posted during the Model 3 reveal, we heard that the Model 3 was a mix of both - there was zero specific commentary regarding how much of the body and how much of the frame/chassis was either. Each has its benefits and detractions: challenges to production, to compatibility with each other, to costs - both upfront and over the long term, to weight, to durability under variety of circumstances, to repairs....

I believe that your premise is flawed, which means no correct response directly can be made.

• Like x 1
  16. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

The Bolt EV uses aluminum for the doors, hood, liftgate, two front crossmembers and then high strength steel for the unibody.

17. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

I would take steel over aluminum any days. Steel is cheaper to repair, harder to break, cheaper car to buy, easier to produce. And hey, for those who are living in bad neighborhood, steel car is much better bullet proof than aluminum car.