TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Steel Grey on Grey P85+ Clear Bra, Chrome Vinyl Wrap and Nano Project

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by jstepy, Sep 25, 2014.

1. jstepy

jstepy Member

Hey Guys -

Been on the forums for a few months now ever since researching and ordering my Model S. Picked it up yesterday in Costa Mesa and took it straight to Moe's for Clear Bra and Nano. He is also going to black out all the chrome and paint the lettering/logos as I personally am not a fan of all the chrome on this vehicle. I figured I could upload some pics of the process for those interested.

The first two are outside the shop while the rest are inside next to another Dolphin Grey Model S. I'll add more photos as they come during the process.

IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0009-2.jpg
    IMG_3941.jpg IMG_3940.jpg IMG_3939.jpg

2. Getinring

Getinring Member

Congrats. Looks like your car is keeping mine company at Moe's!
    I'm sure you will be happy when all done, he really took care of mine after delivery 2 months ago.

3. jstepy

jstepy Member

To Funny Getinring - I thought maybe that was your Model S... you helped me jump the fence and get the doors done as well. I am glad my Tesla is in good company.

Did you ever get your solar situation worked out?

4. Getinring

Getinring Member

Yes I did. Simplesolar here on the forums owns his own solar company and sent me a proposal as well as cost analysis of what my bill would be with time of use and 2nd meter plan. Very very helpful and considering I was already deep in process of solar negotiations, very appreciative he still gave me great advice. Ironically my car is with moe to get the door fenders and rear bumper done after initially doing just front. You've made a good decision because exactly one or two weeks after getting front end done, I had a rock chip just above rear fender and 2 very light scratches just at bottom driver door from road debris, so good choice to just take the plunge and do it all. I'll be curious to see the blacked out trim on the new car, congratulations again, looks good. I remember when I made appt, Moe said we will another tesla here this week, guess that's you.

5. Kofi

Kofi Member

I haven't seen a grey MS with blacked out trim, but it sounds like a worthy subtle appearance upgrade.

6. eRandall38

eRandall38 Member

Can you post photos of yours and what you have done with it? I searched your post but could not find anything.

7. Getinring

Getinring Member

My car is at Glistening Perfection with Moe now. He is in the process of xpel sides and back after doing the entire front after delivery. Only other thing done was photosync tint all around.

8. MoeMistry

MoeMistry Local Vendor - SoCal

#8 MoeMistry, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    Don't forget CQuartz Finest Nano Coating ;)

9. Getinring

Getinring Member

Yes CQuartz nano, what keeps the car looking good and easy to wash. I'm really glad I went with it on top of the Xpel. Surprised how glossy it is.

10. eRandall38

eRandall38 Member

Please share once she gets out. When do you expect to have her back? Curious how it all turn out.

Open to any info on xpel and cquartz, and why you did them together.

Hope OP post some photos too.

11. flodrab

flodrab Member

I like the black-out look, too, but took it one step further with black wheels ... also changed the color to matte gunmetal, going for kind of a "stealth fighter" look ... a couple things you might consider: I think carbon fiber mirror bodies go well with the black chrome, and in the skinny upper portion of the nosecone ... (FYI, that section is also CF on the Model X) ... and I added a few red accents to pick up the red in the brake covers

side.JPG front T.JPG back T.JPG mirror.JPG wheel.JPG

12. jstepy

jstepy Member

flodrab that looks pretty sweet... So did you just wrap a silver with a matte clear to achieve that look? I too like the red accents. Never been a fan of chrome. With past BMW's I like how you can get that from the factory all blacked out.

13. flodrab

flodrab Member

#13 flodrab, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
    no, it's a full color change ... the wrap is "matte gunmetal", but the car is grey, which works well because when the door is open the color difference between the unwrapped door jambs and the wrapped body isn't noticeable ... it's actually a little daunting choosing a color because they give you a stack of 4" square color samples to make your choice from and it's a little hard to visualize what the end result is going to be, but I'm really pleased with the way it turned out ... (BTW, I'm so OCD that I even changed the bulbs in the front side markers from orange to red) ... and these pics don't really do it justice ... they were taken in very bright sunlight, and I think as a result came out a little "shinier" than what it really is ... almost a silver, as you mentioned ... but I think in real life the matte finish is a little duller and, to me, that makes it more "sinister" looking

14. jstepy

jstepy Member

Here are a couple of teaser photos Moe sent my way... Paint Decontamination and Polish all done. Great shot next to Getinring's Model S. You can see the difference between both grays quite easily now.

Both grays are sharp... I would have been very happy with either one.

I should have lot's of photos tomorrow.

IMG_3953.jpg

IMG_3960.jpg

15. Twoeagle

Twoeagle Member

Yes, both are beautiful. Very happy with mine dolphin-grey :D

16. Vitaman

Vitaman Member

Both greys are nice but the lighter grey combined with the grey wheels is a home run.

17. sickfox

sickfox Member

Flodrab - Your car looks sick! Love the sinister look. Do you have a front pic of your car? Do you mind posting it?

I've been waiting for my car to be delivered on December and the wait is just killing me. I've been on the forum everyday putting a bookmark to the threads that I'm interested. I also planning to black out the window chrome sidings. Did you go for the vinyl wrap or you just got it painted? And the carbon fiber mirror housing is just dope! did you get it wrapped as well did you buy a housing somewhere? Can you please share?

Thanks in advance.
    -Harold

18. flodrab

flodrab Member

#18 flodrab, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    thanks for all the compliments, glad you like it ... I struggled a little with the front end, trying to decide what to do with the lower section ... body color v.s. black v.s. carbon fiber ... still not sure I made the best choice, but it's growing on me ... one reassuring thing to note is that covering the parking sensors has absolutely no effect on their performance

I chose to have the chrome wrapped because painting is basically "irreversible" ... I don't know exactly what they do, but the prep work for painting chrome involves sanding or scuffing or something to the surface to make the paint stick, ruining the chrome in the process ... at the time I wasn't ready to make that commitment, but I'm so pleased with the look that in retrospect I probably should have gotten it painted

the "carbon fiber" is just vinyl wrap, too ... also on the skinny upper section of the nosecone, and the rear diffuser ... achieves the same look as CF at a fraction of the cost ... although if somebody came out with real CF mirror bodies I'd probably buy a set ... I think I get more compliments on that one detail than anything else on the car

front.JPG

19. Hawaii J

Hawaii J Member

I have a carbon fiber hood and roof on my truck and was thinking of at least doing the roof and rear view mirrors when mine arrives (also blue). Anyone done that? Curious to see how the blue with carbon fiber hood wrap looks.

20. jstepy

jstepy Member

Some new pics Moe sent my way. Can I just say how much I enjoy Moe's O.C.D'ness. Funny thing is Getinring's Model S turned white :confused:

IMG_3982.jpg

IMG_3983.jpg

IMG_3984.jpg

IMG_3997.jpg

IMG_3985.jpg

IMG_3986.jpg

IMG_3987.jpg

IMG_3992.jpg

IMG_3995.jpg