Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steel winter rims?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys. I did a ton of searching but couldn’t find anything about getting steel rims. I called a local tire shop and they said they don’t have anything for a 2020 model 3 but the 2019 should be exactly the same )I have a 2020 Sr+) I ordered a set of 4 steel rims. 18 inch size. I also have some general tire Altimax arctic 12 to go on them. Same 235/45/18 as the original tires. Other than bolt pattern which should be the same. Is there any issues with a steel wheel fitting? I assume if it clears the caliper then it should be fine?

thanks!

Hey guys. I did a ton of searching but couldn’t find anything about getting steel rims. I called a local tire shop and they said they don’t have anything for a 2020 model 3 but the 2019 should be exactly the same )I have a 2020 Sr+) I ordered a set of 4 steel rims. 18 inch size. I also have some general tire Altimax arctic 12 to go on them. Same 235/45/18 as the original tires. Other than bolt pattern which should be the same. Is there any issues with a steel wheel fitting? I assume if it clears the caliper then it should be fine?

thanks!

Any reason not to use the Tesla 18" rims? Truth be told, they're probably just as cheap - I see them for sale around $600 for a set routinely ...

Because he wants winter wheels that can take abuse that aluminum alloy wheels can't withstand.

What can’t they withstand?

I’m not being difficult, genuinely truly to learn here.

long story short; I have 18s & factory tires on the LR AWD now. I just bought a set of 19” rims, and was planning to put nice all seasons on it; and then get 18” winter tires once I wear the current factory ones down.

Am I doing something wrong reusing the 18” rims like that?

I do not know the original poster, nor his driving needs, but I would hazard a guess: Potholes. Huge. Potholes.

Well, that sure makes sense. I’m in N.J., when the pothole is the state mascot. Haven’t ever had a wheel problem with aluminum rims before, so I was curious if it was a temperature or snow thing. If those aren’t a concern, I’ll stick with the plan to reuse my 18s, simply because I already own the things. LOL.

Sorry if I’m a little bit off topic but I find it very interesting that in Canada, most drivers put winter tires on steel wheels. When I was in Toronto, I saw A LOT of cars running steelies with winter tires. Even BMWs and Mercedes and SUVs. Is it a Canadian thing?
In the US, I’d say most drivers don’t even use winter tires (at least around where I live). Those who do would certainly go with alloy wheels.

Sorry if I’m a little bit off topic but I find it very interesting that in Canada, most drivers put winter tires on steel wheels. When I was in Toronto, I saw A LOT of cars running steelies with winter tires. Even BMWs and Mercedes and SUVs. Is it a Canadian thing?
In the US, I’d say most drivers don’t even use winter tires (at least around where I live). Those who do would certainly go with alloy wheels.

Steelies are what most dealerships or tire shops offer and are cheap for most customers.

On the otherhand, I am using Signature SV801 wheels with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 for most of the winter except this week I put on my 18” Tsportline wheels with studded Nokians due to icy conditions. So not everyone uses steelies in Canada, eh.

Attachments

• 61B3E81F-5B5A-4489-BA8D-30DBEC17F3A4.jpeg
    61B3E81F-5B5A-4489-BA8D-30DBEC17F3A4.jpeg
    956.8 KB · Views: 825
  • 7C2D8381-2E03-4932-AC06-9290D9AFB6C2.jpeg
    7C2D8381-2E03-4932-AC06-9290D9AFB6C2.jpeg
    467.4 KB · Views: 158
  • 9FC25B8E-EE63-4FFF-8726-5C5D3E458ECF.jpeg
    9FC25B8E-EE63-4FFF-8726-5C5D3E458ECF.jpeg
    575.3 KB · Views: 179
Thanks. I went ahead and got some winter steels for 100 bucks a piece (Canadian). David is right. Steels are much better for the winter and tougher.
May I ask, coconutboy84, what from vehicle and year are the steel wheels you purchased and, if you have fitted them to your Model 3, are the steel wheels hub-centric and does everything fit well? My interest is I'd like to get some steel wheels to use while I have the Aero wheels finished in the same color as used on the 19" Sport Wheels, thanks!