Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steep Driveway - Help Please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for help and input from fellow owners and enthusiasts. Have a steep driveway into garage and every entry scrapes the bottom of our model 3. Lately we've added 2 Vestil speed bumps and 2 Pyle ramps but still with no success. We've played back and forth with positioning and tried this over and over again but still no luck. Here's the latest video with what I think is the best position so far. Looking for ideas and input from those who might have faced similar. Video clip can be found here. https://photos.app.goo.gl/dkfChjHBVanTSd8WA
VID_440461022_134206_790_exported_9960_1610564545109.jpg

Turns out we ended up with a solution to this. Drive up on the right side of the two car driveway, and just before the front wheels crest this angle change, swerve left -- and enter the garage diagonally, crossing this crest/peak at a steep angle. No scratch. No scrape.

Looking for help and input from fellow owners and enthusiasts. Have a steep driveway into garage and every entry scrapes the bottom of our model 3. Lately we've added 2 Vestil speed bumps and 2 Pyle ramps but still with no success. We've played back and forth with positioning and tried this over and over again but still no luck. Here's the latest video with what I think is the best position so far. Looking for ideas and input from those who might have faced similar. Video clip can be found here. https://photos.app.goo.gl/dkfChjHBVanTSd8WAView attachment 627229

It looks like your bumps are too close to the corner of the concrete. Try putting them a wheelbase apart and centered on the hump. You may need more of them. The solution may be expensive, shave down the driveway, or buy a Y. Is that a standard 3 or performance?

Maybe sheets of thick industrial solid rubber mats... about 1” thick that do not compress. You could stack them as needed and experiment until you get the right setup.

Even if you had to call a professional installer to cut the mats it would be worth it. They are probably heavy and require experience and equipment to cut and position.

Thanks for the comment. We were ultimately able to find a resolution -- that is Drive up the right side of a 2 car driveway, and swerve left just as the wheels crest this angle change. The result was entering the garage diagonally but no scrape, no scratch. Also doing this with no added luggage or passengers.

For the record this was the model 3 dual motor long range. Stock 18" wheels. 2019 model.

It looks like your bumps are too close to the corner of the concrete. Try putting them a wheelbase apart and centered on the hump. You may need more of them. The solution may be expensive, shave down the driveway, or buy a Y. Is that a standard 3 or performance?

Turns out we ended up with a solution to this. Drive up on the right side of the two car driveway, and just before the front wheels crest this angle change, swerve left -- and enter the garage diagonally, crossing this crest/peak at a steep angle. No scratch. No scrape.

Diagonal is generally the preferred technique for ground clearance. Your situation appeared beyond that. Glad you found something that works!

I've seen some recent new homes with Wrangler Only driveways... you have to wonder what the builder is thinking other than profit...

In what area are these Wrangler Only driveways advertised?

Even here in the flatlands of Florida, we are seeing many houses with two garages. The first garage is the usual spacious two-car garage, and a second driveway area accesses a single-car sized garage for golf carts or other recreational vehicles.

Thanks for the comment. We were ultimately able to find a resolution -- that is Drive up the right side of a 2 car driveway, and swerve left just as the wheels crest this angle change. The result was entering the garage diagonally but no scrape, no scratch. Also doing this with no added luggage or passengers.

For the record this was the model 3 dual motor long range. Stock 18" wheels. 2019 model.
Would you possibly be able to share a video of the solution? Similar situation as yours currently and scratching my head as well the undercarriage of M3 lol

Would you possibly be able to share a video of the solution? Similar situation as yours currently and scratching my head as well the undercarriage of M3 lol
I did. I don't have a video on hand but I can try to take one in the coming days my schedule is jam packed. but in essence you drive up on the right side of the driveway and as the front wheels crest the top, you swerve the tires left and pull into the far left side of the garage. In essence you end up parking the car diagonally in the garage. Same on exit. Drive out of garage, as rear wheels near top of scratching edge, swerve steering column to the far right to guide car to opposite side of driveway. Then straighten out and back down. This way when you cross the top section of the driveway you try to cross diagonally.