Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • TMC Podcast #11 will stream live Saturday at 1PM PDT. We will be joined by special guest JT Stukes, a former engineer at Tesla. You can watch it live and participate in the chat on YouTube. We will addressing viewer comments and questions. For more information, follow the TMC Podcast #11 thread.

steering, a little odd!

Ever since I got my MY, I feel the steering is a bit odd!
1. I feel the steering wheel very sensitive.
2. I find myself needing to continously adjust the steering wheel to stay in the center of the road
3. Steering wheel does nit return to neutral (center position)

Not a severe condition but since it is steering, I thought I ask around; anyone experiencing these symptoms or others with their MY steering?
By the way, I also own a MX and the steering there has none of these issues.

I have the exact same thing. Not involved in recall, plenty of experience with Teslas and other vehicles - never experienced anything like this.

SC already did alignment, nothing changed. Went in again, and they say they calibrated the steering (no idea what that even is - sounded like SC speak for 'stop bothering us') - no difference. Next week I'm going to a different SC.

I suspect caster is off, so they should do another alignment, and hopefully do it properly this time.

Cephas

Dec 19, 2020
Atlanta
2. I find myself needing to continously adjust the steering wheel to stay in the center of the road

Not a severe condition but since it is steering, I thought I ask around; anyone experiencing these symptoms or others with their MY steering?
I also have the exact same concern with my MYP. Planning to take in for service to check the alignment

Back at SC today and did a drive along with a technician. He couldn't find any fault. He thought the steering felt a little aggressive when changing lanes on the highway, but other than that he thought everything was normal. He blamed the tires (winters) , even though this issue started when I was still on the factory all-seasons.

Trust me, it's not normal. I have never in my life driven a car that feels like this. It's like I'm constantly battling the steering.

Not sure what to do now. Get an independent assessment? Sue them? Sell it and get a Mach-E?

I'm so unbelievably disappointed right now. I have lots of experience with Teslas and with cars generally. Panel gaps and paint issues didn't faze me. But, this is different. I thought this was something I wouldn't experience with Tesla.

MorrisonHiker

Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
2. I find myself needing to continuously adjust the steering wheel to stay in the center of the road

What steering mode are you using? Comfort, Standard or Sport?

Back at SC today and did a drive along with a technician. He couldn't find any fault. He thought the steering felt a little aggressive when changing lanes on the highway, but other than that he thought everything was normal. He blamed the tires (winters) , even though this issue started when I was still on the factory all-seasons.

Trust me, it's not normal. I have never in my life driven a car that feels like this. It's like I'm constantly battling the steering.

Not sure what to do now. Get an independent assessment? Sue them? Sell it and get a Mach-E?

I'm so unbelievably disappointed right now. I have lots of experience with Teslas and with cars generally. Panel gaps and paint issues didn't faze me. But, this is different. I thought this was something I wouldn't experience with Tesla.
Definitely not normal
My MY has none of these issues, neither did the MS or M3

Just a thought... try to test drive a demo MY, see how that feels. If it's the same, then it's just the model. But if it's what you expect it to be then there is a problem with your car.

I have driven a demo Y, and it did not feel like this.

I sent a couple of messages to the service centre expressing that I was not happy with the experience and their conclusions. To their credit, the service manager called me to discuss. We have now decided that I will come back in January with the OEM tires. They will swap them and we will do a test drive to see if they can still feel that aggressive turn-in when changing lanes. I know it will be the same, because I've felt this since I drove off the lot. At least then we can start having a discussion again.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC