Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering and Vibration on a Brand New MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone had similar issues recently with a new MY:

We took a delivery of our first Tesla on 7/15/21 (MY LR with upgraded wheels). Driving right off the lot, we noticed the car had high frequency vibration at highway speeds, would wonder left, right and the steering wheel had to be turned 2-3 degrees for the car to go straight.

Came home and decided to check wheel lug nut torque. Was able to turn each nut 1/4 to 1/2 turn when torqueing to 128 lb. ft. This means that the wheels were somewhat lose when left the factory. The car drove better, but still had some pool, steering wheel crocked and vibration.

Was able to ask for an appointment at a Tesla SC within 5 days from the delivery as oppose to 3 weeks available through the app. The SC did alignment and told me that they though that balance is not an issue, hence, they did not attempt it. The car still has some vibration at high speed and handling a odd, not like a test drive car we drove before ordering.

I noticed that one of the front wheels has a huge (not exaggerating) balance weight attached (see the pic). Wonder if it contributes to this issue or if the foam inside may have something to do with it.

Has anyone had similar issues with new MYs?

Attachments

• IMG_8683.JPG
    IMG_8683.JPG
    406 KB · Views: 750
Had a similar issue... Bought the car with steering wheel being off and vibration. Brought the car to my local SC, tech straightened out the wheel but the vibration stuck. Brought it back again, tech told me that because it's a performance model, it's natural to feel more road and have a rougher ride. Had an M5 previously and despite the low pros, did not have this issue. In any case, they checked the foam and balanced all 4 tires, car feels much better (said foam and balance were fine).

Upvote 0
DMateo: I'd like to know how they "checked the foam" w/o dismounting every tire and visually inspecting???
Hope it was a simple balance problem. There have been a few (only a few!) issues with foam pulling away on the inside. This would be a QC issue that I assume ALL tire manufacturers are dealing with.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem on my wife's Model X. Had the 2 front tires replaced by a very reputable tire shop. It would vibrate at highway speeds as people have described in the previous posts. Went back a few weeks later to another shop and had them rebalance the tires. This made no difference. Not sure what else to try.

Upvote 0
(Brand New 2022 Model S LR)

I took it in to the Tesla Service Center in Walnut, CA to get my windshield replaced. It had small cracks in it but, I didn't notice it in time for the 3 day inspection clause in the contract when you buy it. When I went to pick it up:

My steering wheel shatters at speeds around 55 mph. It is intermittent but defiantly feels like the tires are out of balance. I agree it might the foam.

Also the passenger side door handle got stuck out and not functioning.

Car has 1,500 miles on it.

It's back in the service center and all I got was a bunch of useless UBER credit that expires in 24 hrs.

I have other vehicles to drive.

Upvote 0
I just picked up my brand new model y 2022 20 inch rims package
Same problem.
Took it to the service center they balanced the tires sent off the off… guess what issue is still there.

Took it back again and they service tech said they don’t have a exact concrete solution to this problem.

I’m quiet disappointed in the experience and the supervisor did mention that they will resolve the issue before handing off the car to me.

Upvote 0
Sigh.. this happened to a lot of Tesla owners.. it’s not an alignment issue or a suspension components issue. It’s way more simple than that.

The foam insert inside of the tire has moved. The adhesive used to “glue” it inside the tire has failed and the foam has bunched up somewhere in the tire causing it’s rotational mass to become off balanced.

This happened to me and a local tire shop fixed it. No more vibrations.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
我们在 8 月初拿起了 07/2021 年生产的 MY,我立即注意到高速公路上的振动加上方向盘偏向右侧。我通过该应用程序进行了预约,并在几天后将其带到了加拿大多伦多的 Railside 服务中心。他们进行了对齐,据说平衡了两个前轮(尽管发票没有反映这一点)。对齐修复了方向盘关闭,现在可以直行,但仍然有振动。所以我又预约了一次,几天后又回到了 Railside SC,这次他们平衡/检查了所有四个轮子。这解决了振动问题,SC 的人告诉我,他们最近有不少来自工厂的汽车存在同样的问题。反正,
Did you need pay for it?

Upvote 0
My month old Model 3 long range has an occasional high frequency vibration at 60-80 mph when one of the front wheels touches the lane dividing bumps. It only lasts a couple of seconds. I took it in for service, and they said they balanced the wheels and road tested the car with no vibration. But nothing has changed. It still vibrates.
I have exactly the same issue! I Have the car for 10 days and it’s the 5 or 6 time this happens, it’s a vibration that lasts 1 or 2 seconds or the right wheel, and it also happens when I go over a line. It’s a bit odd, anyway next Thursday i wil take the car for a service to check a couple of things and will tell them that

Upvote 0