Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering and Vibration on a Brand New MY

valmasu

Aug 4, 2021
Scottsdale, AZ
Wondering if anyone had similar issues recently with a new MY:

We took a delivery of our first Tesla on 7/15/21 (MY LR with upgraded wheels). Driving right off the lot, we noticed the car had high frequency vibration at highway speeds, would wonder left, right and the steering wheel had to be turned 2-3 degrees for the car to go straight.

Came home and decided to check wheel lug nut torque. Was able to turn each nut 1/4 to 1/2 turn when torqueing to 128 lb. ft. This means that the wheels were somewhat lose when left the factory. The car drove better, but still had some pool, steering wheel crocked and vibration.

Was able to ask for an appointment at a Tesla SC within 5 days from the delivery as oppose to 3 weeks available through the app. The SC did alignment and told me that they though that balance is not an issue, hence, they did not attempt it. The car still has some vibration at high speed and handling a odd, not like a test drive car we drove before ordering.

I noticed that one of the front wheels has a huge (not exaggerating) balance weight attached (see the pic). Wonder if it contributes to this issue or if the foam inside may have something to do with it.

Has anyone had similar issues with new MYs?

Attachments

• IMG_8683.JPG
    IMG_8683.JPG
    406 KB · Views: 141

DMateo

Jul 18, 2021
US
Had a similar issue... Bought the car with steering wheel being off and vibration. Brought the car to my local SC, tech straightened out the wheel but the vibration stuck. Brought it back again, tech told me that because it's a performance model, it's natural to feel more road and have a rougher ride. Had an M5 previously and despite the low pros, did not have this issue. In any case, they checked the foam and balanced all 4 tires, car feels much better (said foam and balance were fine).

Upvote 0

Pianewman

Oct 28, 2020
Fort Worth
DMateo: I'd like to know how they "checked the foam" w/o dismounting every tire and visually inspecting???
Hope it was a simple balance problem. There have been a few (only a few!) issues with foam pulling away on the inside. This would be a QC issue that I assume ALL tire manufacturers are dealing with.

Upvote 0

Jun 6, 2020
atlanta
I have the same problem on my wife's Model X. Had the 2 front tires replaced by a very reputable tire shop. It would vibrate at highway speeds as people have described in the previous posts. Went back a few weeks later to another shop and had them rebalance the tires. This made no difference. Not sure what else to try.

Upvote 0

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC