Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Steering Assist Reduced"- No Power Steering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have seen several mentions of this with all models but no clear answers. I have done a couple of reboots as well as a Power Off but error returns immediately and power steering remains non-existent. Currently waiting on a service appointment but because I'm out of warranty I'm curious if anyone has gotten any confidence in what the actual culprits are? I've seen posts where entire steering rack was replaced just to have the error return again. I know there was a recall regarding the power steering bolts, I had that work performed last year and no damage was noted at that time.
2014 P85

IMG_20200831_134954.jpg

Have seen several mentions of this with all models but no clear answers. I have done a couple of reboots as well as a Power Off but error returns immediately and power steering remains non-existent. Currently waiting on a service appointment but because I'm out of warranty I'm curious if anyone has gotten any confidence in what the actual culprits are? I've seen posts where entire steering rack was replaced just to have the error return again. I know there was a recall regarding the power steering bolts, I had that work performed last year and no damage was noted at that time.
2014 P85

View attachment 582851

Update: Service Center attempted to resolve remotely with no luck so does not appear to be a software related issue. Others have noted corroded ground connections causing this and other similar issues so I'm tempted to remove the frunk liner and see what Wisconsin winter has done under there. Anyone familiar with the grounding locations of concern? I know there is one on the passenger side frame that is notorious for failing.

Update: Service Center attempted to resolve remotely with no luck so does not appear to be a software related issue. Others have noted corroded ground connections causing this and other similar issues so I'm tempted to remove the frunk liner and see what Wisconsin winter has done under there. Anyone familiar with the grounding locations of concern? I know there is one on the passenger side frame that is notorious for failing.
Were you able to resolve this issue, which I also have on a 2013 P85+ that's out of warranty? I have not yet had the service center resolved remotely, but have no indication that this is anything other than a software issue. Others have reported grounding problems, though I don't know the locations of concern, but I did remove and reattach the battery connection per suggestion online to no avail. Any assistance much appreciated.

Hello, I have Tesla S P85 2014 with 276200km.

I have the same problem (Epas_w002) and when I turn off the car, the issue disappear until I drive 20-30 km again.
In the Tesla Service (Barcelona)they try solve the problem remotly, without no luck.
They give day for check my car and give me a reparation price for 3800 euro (change all steerling system).

Nobody have more information with how fix that problem correctly?

Thanks

Same issue here on a 2013 Model S.

Things that need replacement:
  • LEFT HAND DRIVE STEERING GEAR - STEEL BOLTS+WAX (1453628-00-B) €2434 Ex Tax.
  • CABLE,ASSY,MDLS,EPAS (1011301-00-M) €479.34 ex Tax.
+ Labour. Estimate is close to €4000.

Bad day in the office.

I receive this issue as well as the other errors. Our Tesla S has been at the repair shop over a week. They finally came back they needed to replace the LH AND RH Body Harness to fix all these error codes. We will see if it is fixed.

We drove our Tesla last week in snow and ice about 2-3 inches deep. No issues really with car at that time. When I tried to take it to drive my child to school 6 days later, the car was dead. The brake when pressed would vibrate very loudly and the car would not go into reverse/drive. We called emergency roadside assistance they sent out a tow truck to pick it up which was a feat since the car was in a garage. It took almost an hour to get the car out and onto the truck with no power steering. It’s at the service center but they’ve had it for a week now ‘still diagnosing’. Here are the error messages I got from the car. Has anyone else had this type of problem with their vehicles?

Tesla error messages

GTW_w074
Steering assist reduced
Steering may require increased effort

DI_a062
Power reduced
Exiting and re-entering vehicle may restore operation

DI a007
Center console buttons to select gears unavailable
Use touchscreen to select gears - Schedule service

DI a223
Traction control disabled
Drive with caution

DI_a222
Stability control disabled
Drive with caution

TAS2_a313
Adaptive ride control degraded
Ride comfort may be reduced

GTW w074
Steering assist reduced
Steering may require increased effort

Had this error on a 2020 MSP.

M

Same issue here on a 2013 Model S.

Things that need replacement:
  • LEFT HAND DRIVE STEERING GEAR - STEEL BOLTS+WAX (1453628-00-B) €2434 Ex Tax.
  • CABLE,ASSY,MDLS,EPAS (1011301-00-M) €479.34 ex Tax.
+ Labour. Estimate is close to €4000.

Bad day in the office.

My car is in the shop for the steering wheel clicking sound. They initially wanted $573 labor to fix it.
This morning they started the work on it and now they are saying I need LEFT HAND DRIVE STEERING GEAR - STEEL BOLTS+WAX (1453628-00-B) for $2,750 on top of the labor.

I really think the work should have been covered under service bulletin SB-18-32-002 Replace Bolts in the Steering Rack Housing.
It even lists 1453628-00-B in it.

Attachments

• RCMN-18V204-1014.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 118
Reactions: Rqcg