TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"Steering Assist Reduced"

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MileHighMotoring, Sep 30, 2016.

1. MileHighMotoring

tesla-steering.jpg

Drove the car for ten minutes, parked, and then got this error. There was no power steering at all, so it was incredibly difficult to drive at low speeds/from a start. The parking sensors also didn't work. Was told to power cycle the car for five minutes, that didn't help.

I suspect this is part of the electronic gremlins that plague my car, that there are apparently no solutions for. The handles still close on my hands every day, the infotainment system fails on me frequently, etc. I was told it's a "memory leak" with no solution. I have emailed Corporate, Elon Musk, etc., not even a reply much less a solution.

I'm not sure what I can do - there are no other places or people to talk to. I just have a car that doesn't work right and no fix forthcoming.

I'm bringing the car in tomorrow, they said they can get to it in a few days. This, I think, will be the fifth time my car's in the shop for unscheduled problems in 1.5 years.

• Informative x 2
  2. cynix

cynix Member

Last time this happened to me (intermittently, together with AP being unavailable), I brought the car in and they found a loose connection somewhere in the wiring.

• Informative x 1
  3. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

Wow, that sounds pretty bad. I would make sure you leave it with them unt they have absolutely identified and fixed the problem. Hopefully they have a loaner for you.

4. roblab

roblab Active Member

5. brkaus

brkaus Member

Make lemonade?

Document everything...

6. flashflood

flashflood Member

That makes no sense. A memory leak is a software bug, which is always fixable. And lots of other cars are running the same software without having these issues, so it's probably not a software bug in the first place.

7. brkaus

brkaus Member

flashflood is correct, a memory leak should cause problems for all cars running the same software. Or at least a portion of them that are using it the same as you. Not something that would disable a single car. It would also be solvable.

More likely, this is something with your car. A failing component or a bad connection.

8. flashflood

flashflood Member

Exactly. Most likely there's some hardware component in distress, which is causing the software to repeatedly execute a normally rare error path, and that error path has a memory leak. Probably something as simple/stupid as a sprintf() buffer. But, again, this would be fixable.

9. Zybd1201

Zybd1201 Member

Rest assured the first thing they tell you will almost always be completely incorrect. ;-)

I am pretty sure there is even a mathematical proof of it...

• Like x 1
  10. MileHighMotoring

This has been going on for a year. I document all the problems, and they tell me there's no fix. I basically demand they replace electrical components until it's fixed, and they don't. Corporate ignores me. Not sure who to call or email.

11. AwesomeBallz

AwesomeBallz New Member

Picked up brand new Model X yesterday and got exact error this morning. Service is currently running diagnostics.

• Helpful x 1
  12. Zybd1201

Zybd1201 Member

They speak only one language...

NHTSA and Lemon Law..

Sad but not unique to Tesla at all. Just a fact of life when dealing with large manufacturers.

13. MileHighMotoring

I just want it fixed. I don't want to start a war. My car goes to the shop for this steering thing on Monday. I'll ask who I need to contact at corporate to get my gremlins dealt with. "Memory Leak with no cure" is not acceptable.

14. vgrinshpun

vgrinshpun Active Member

I had a similar loss of power steering, that was initially "fixed" by restarting the car, but eventually deteriorated over the course of three days to multiple warnings related to various systems (ABS, ESC, and others). At that point the car was not drivable. It was diagnosed as a connection problem at one of the posts of the lead-acid battery, which resulted in loss of the ground. After cleaning the post and the terminal and re-connecting, the problem was fixed and never came back (this happened 1 year and 2 months ago).

Given problems wit unrelated systems - steering and parking sensors - I think that the most likely culprit is poor ground or loose connections somewhere in the auxiliary power circuit.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1