Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Steering Assist Reduced"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This just happened to me in my X. Driving the kids to school I noticed the steering would occasionally harden up or jerk a little bit. Then just as I pulled into the parking lot it completely froze the wheel saying the car needs service and steering assist was reduced. I'm lucky it didn't happen on the highway!!

It seemed like the steering could still be manually turned with great effort, more than it would feel in a car with no power steering.

While sitting in the car waiting for roadside service to get back to me, I pressed the brake and the car seems to have reset itself and is doing power steering again.

I'm taking it in to service real soon for this. I have to say it's a pretty bad failure to have with kids on the highway.

This just happened to me in my X. Driving the kids to school I noticed the steering would occasionally harden up or jerk a little bit. Then just as I pulled into the parking lot it completely froze the wheel saying the car needs service and steering assist was reduced. I'm lucky it didn't happen on the highway!!

It seemed like the steering could still be manually turned with great effort, more than it would feel in a car with no power steering.

While sitting in the car waiting for roadside service to get back to me, I pressed the brake and the car seems to have reset itself and is doing power steering again.

I'm taking it in to service real soon for this. I have to say it's a pretty bad failure to have with kids on the highway.
On the highway, loss of power steering would be much less noticeable, if at all. It's only when moving slowly that it would be a problem.

If I understand this issue correctly, it's just an electrical connection that can fail. It's rare enough that it would be easy to miss in design and testing, but it's a dumb problem that they definitely want to resolve so that it's a full 100% reliable. Hopefully they have already or are in the process of revising the connection, where ever it is failing.

I got the car back today from service. They said they found the loose power steering ground connection. Reattached, they took it out for a test drive over some bumps, checked again and it didn't move. So they called it fixed.

It seems fine right now. AutoPilot fully functional and no steering wheel lockups. Let's hope it's fixed for sure.

The tech said that it is a pretty rare issue, which is good news for everyone else.

NHTSA and Lemon Law..

Sad but not unique to Tesla at all. Just a fact of life when dealing with large manufacturers.
Indeed on NHTSA. The OP and others in the US who have experienced this should file a safety complaint w/NHTSA at Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). This is in your owner's manual. It's probably better to do this after the issue has been resolved by the automaker (so one knows the resolution) or several attempts have been done...

For the others, notifying the equivalent safety regulatory body for your country is probably appropriate.

This seems to meet the bar of a safety defect complaint given that I've seen recalls for other vehicles by Googling for recall power steering higher effort.