Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Assist Reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had this happen to me today. While driving to drop the kids off, occasionally the steering wheel would for a brief moment get very stiff, then go back to normal. AP2 AutoSteer never became available, despite being available on the same roads the previous day.

When I got to school, driving over the curb and over the bump of the security gate rail apparently caused all power steering to just fail, and the wheel stayed stiff and the car flashed a "Car Needs Service - Steering Assist Reduced" sign on the dash and on the touchscreen. I was pointing straight at a handicapped spot so I just drove right into it and parked, dropped off the kids and went back to call Roadside Service.

ETA was an hour for someone to come take the car. Before they called me back I was fiddling with various resets and leaving the car/coming back, pressing the brake, and the steering came back. I decided to take the car myself straight to the service center.

When the steering assist is off, it's WAY more stiff than an old school manual steering car. You will need both hands to turn the wheel. Luckily it briefly triggered off only one more time before getting on the highway, and I got to the service center safely. There they wanted to test drive it, and the technician could feel the issue happen occasionally. He was able to trigger it again completely by going over a few speed bumps. AP2 AutoSteer never became available again either.

The initial diagnosis is a loose wire somewhere that's causing the power steering to fail. A few people have had this issue with their Model S's as well, looking around the forums. The service center is going to take a pretty careful look, as its a serious safety issue.

I'm pretty disappointed that this is a thing. If it's a loose wire, there's some shoddy assembly line work happening, or some pretty poor quality control. I'm just glad nothing scary happened, as it could have.

• Informative
Reactions: MS16
Had this happen to me today. While driving to drop the kids off, occasionally the steering wheel would for a brief moment get very stiff, then go back to normal. AP2 AutoSteer never became available, despite being available on the same roads the previous day.

When I got to school, driving over the curb and over the bump of the security gate rail apparently caused all power steering to just fail, and the wheel stayed stiff and the car flashed a "Car Needs Service - Steering Assist Reduced" sign on the dash and on the touchscreen. I was pointing straight at a handicapped spot so I just drove right into it and parked, dropped off the kids and went back to call Roadside Service.

ETA was an hour for someone to come take the car. Before they called me back I was fiddling with various resets and leaving the car/coming back, pressing the brake, and the steering came back. I decided to take the car myself straight to the service center.

When the steering assist is off, it's WAY more stiff than an old school manual steering car. You will need both hands to turn the wheel. Luckily it briefly triggered off only one more time before getting on the highway, and I got to the service center safely. There they wanted to test drive it, and the technician could feel the issue happen occasionally. He was able to trigger it again completely by going over a few speed bumps. AP2 AutoSteer never became available again either.

The initial diagnosis is a loose wire somewhere that's causing the power steering to fail. A few people have had this issue with their Model S's as well, looking around the forums. The service center is going to take a pretty careful look, as its a serious safety issue.

I'm pretty disappointed that this is a thing. If it's a loose wire, there's some shoddy assembly line work happening, or some pretty poor quality control. I'm just glad nothing scary happened, as it could have.

Keep us posted, something as significant as a steering problem is an item you definitely hope they find a hard failure, and not just a repair based on the technician's speculation.

Any idea which wire it is? A couple of us have had this happen, but with no error lights. It's been giving an impression of a "dead spot" in the steering for AP2's.

Keep us posted, something as significant as a steering problem is an item you definitely hope they find a hard failure, and not just a repair based on the technician's speculation.

They are going to be pretty thorough because it's a safety issue. I hope it's simple though and not something more difficult an issue to solve. It seemed like something they had encountered before.

Posted this in the Model S thread on the same subject:

I got the car back today from service. They said they found the loose power steering ground connection. Reattached, they took it out for a test drive over some bumps, checked again and it didn't move. So they called it fixed.

It seems fine right now. AutoPilot fully functional and no steering wheel lockups. Let's hope it's fixed for sure.

The tech said that it is a pretty rare issue, which is good news for everyone else.

Posted this in the Model S thread on the same subject:

I got the car back today from service. They said they found the loose power steering ground connection. Reattached, they took it out for a test drive over some bumps, checked again and it didn't move. So they called it fixed.

It seems fine right now. AutoPilot fully functional and no steering wheel lockups. Let's hope it's fixed for sure.

The tech said that it is a pretty rare issue, which is good news for everyone else.

Funny, in the S thread I stated that it felt like a failing power steering pump...now I have to find where that ground is to make sure mine is tight.

We just had this error too.

Car needs service: Steering Assist Reduced.
Park assist unavailable.

The FWDs also did not open, even with override.

I tried resetting both computers, with and without the brake. The car has an update scheduled for tonight, so when I got home just now, I set it to update immediately.

Had this error appear In my first week of ownership, about 170 miles in. Called Roadside assistance and resolved the error by:
- rebooting (hold down brake and both steering scroll wheels until it resets)
- turning the car off and waiting 3 minutes before putting foot on brake again.

Haven’t had the issue since

Had this error appear In my first week of ownership, about 170 miles in. Called Roadside assistance and resolved the error by:
- rebooting (hold down brake and both steering scroll wheels until it resets)
- turning the car off and waiting 3 minutes before putting foot on brake again.

Haven’t had the issue since

Happened to me just now. Resolved with the above steps. Thanks for that.

Question is what's the significance of it? Did it happen to you guys again after it resolved? Do I need to take it to servicing?

Problem is I have a big family trip to Ohio coming up next Thursday. Can't take chances but at the same time can't have it sitting in the service center....

Edit: just realized this was in the model x forum. Mine is a model S.

My 2019 just got the latest software updated...Then all the following happened:
1. Lost regenerated braking
2. Steering assist is gone
3. Traction control not working
4. TPMS is gone

The car is in Fremont Service center. Will post when I get my car back.
I have the exactly same issue with my Model Y. I have visited Sunnyvale service center for 3 times still not fixed. Did they fix yours?

Mine's been in the shop going on day 25 with no update whatsoever. UI_a020 warning alert indicating Steering Assist Reduced. Had complete power steering loss twice prior to dropping off at BP SC. Techs from BP SC are supposedly discussing with techs at Fremont, but they haven't been able to identify the cause and therefore, no solution available yet.

Has anyone been able to identify cause and solution?