Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering assist turned off! [due to road construction]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a lot of road work in the area and the pavement is a mix of original, new, and a slew of bump spots and added stripes over the original lane markings. The Assistant became very confused and resisted properly navigating the road. The wife was very upset about this considering the hazard it wanted to create.
Of course, once it was disabled, we had a normal car again. I recognize the utility of this feature but it’s also a potential hazard if the driver isn’t on top of the situation.
We’re at a year of ownership, and have never had this situation. There is increasing development in our area and the roads are in a miserable state while being worked on, so this feature won’t be in use.

At this point in time, you cannot abdicate your responsibilities as the driver. If Autopilot doesn't work or has problems, it's your job to take over and drive.
I’ve been driving for a lifetime! My personal car is a 2017 124 Abarth. That’s a full time driving car. I enjoy driving.
What I object to is some onboard system directing me into the opposite lane. If the onboard system can’t manage a situation it ought to audibly announce it’s turning itself off. It can even refer to me as “Dave”.