Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering assist wire harness…help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had some rodents eat through my steering rack wiring harness. I cannot figure out how to disconnect this connector, anyone know the secret? I’m 250 miles from a service center so I hope to get the connector released and splice in for the short term. Longer term, t chance anyone know if that wiring connector can be purchased, or maybe the entire harness? The Tesla service folks really just want me to bring it in for a new steering rack which clearly isn’t necessary.
Really appreciate any help in advance :)
40CE4EA3-A6F5-4F23-93D3-4CE194EADF08.jpeg

Can’t thank you enough for the reply! One further question for clarification, does the red action go the direction of the arrow, toward the direction the wires come in from or is it toward where the picture is taken from? In another words is the first action sliding up along the connector or pulling away from the connector? Hope that makes sense, again thanks so much.

Upvote 0
Can’t thank you enough for the reply! One further question for clarification, does the red action go the direction of the arrow, toward the direction the wires come in from or is it toward where the picture is taken from? In another words is the first action sliding up along the connector or pulling away from the connector? Hope that makes sense, again thanks so much.
The direction of the arrow is the direction of the action. Basically like you're trying to remove the white tab completely, but all it needs is to be unlocked (you should feel a click, if it comes out, it can usually be reinstalled if not broken). Then just behind the white lock there is the normal push tab style connector release, you'll see it if the lock comes completely out, but usually you can just press on the lock tab, in the direction of the blue arrow, in order to get it to release.

They're occasionally stubborn but with enough fiddling they'll loosen up and you'll get it.

Upvote 0
It worked! Couldn’t have done it without your help! There was a faint white line on one of the wires but the nub left on the connector wasn’t enough to tell, so I guess I guessed right. Better to be lucky than good sometimes. Again thanks and I hope this helps someone else in the future.

Attachments

• A722505D-8F54-4161-BF5B-E8691AEDD598.jpeg
    A722505D-8F54-4161-BF5B-E8691AEDD598.jpeg
    540.8 KB · Views: 57
Upvote 0
It worked! Couldn’t have done it without your help! There was a faint white line on one of the wires but the nub left on the connector wasn’t enough to tell, so I guess I guessed right. Better to be lucky than good sometimes. Again thanks and I hope this helps someone else in the future.
Glad it worked out! HATEEEEE rodent damage. Only happened to me once but man can it be frustrating.

Upvote 0