TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Steering "Click" at stop and low speed--normal or not

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by efusco, Apr 5, 2013.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

#1 efusco, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Over the past week I began to notice that when I would turn my steering wheel more than about 180 degrees in either direction I would hear and feel (slighly) a click that seems to come from under the dash/frunk area. I can get up to 3 clicks at varying intervals in each direction the last occurring just before hitting the stop. The clicking is noticable when driving at very low speed (below ~10mph) when making hard turns (eg turning into a parking spot), but is not present at all with normal driving speeds.

Leo McAdams was here today to address some of my other minor issues and I asked him to look at it and he took an audio recording to send to engineering. He said he'd never noticed it before but hadn't looked for it and was going to check the next car he's looking at in Little Rock today to see if it does it or not. He didn't feel it was a safety issue since it doesn't occur when driving normally.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen/heard this?

2. steve841

steve841 Active Member

That's a tough one to describe.

I know on blacktop surfaces I get an occasional sound/feel ...but I know it's the tire slipping on the blacktop in a mid to tight turn...

Don't know if that sounds familiar....

3. efusco

No, this is clearly mechanical clicking of internal components of the steering system. Uploading a video now, but I can't promise how good the sound quality will be.

- - - Updated - - -

Video added to the first post.

4. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Whoa..... Way off from what I first thought...

5. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

That's loud! I just checked and do not have the clicking on mine.

6. efusco

Yea, it's very noticable...the service guy gave a "Whoa!" when he heard it too.
    Thanks for confirming that it's not on yours Mike...I think it just started a week or so ago, but it's one of those things that's not so bad as to be confident that it couldn't have been there before.

7. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

My car developed that about a month ago, after 2 months of not having it. I mentioned it in the Technical/Mechanical issues thread on March 5th.

I reported it to my local service center, but they failed to address it when they had my car overnight earlier in the week :mad:

8. Quibbs

Quibbs Member

#8 Quibbs, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
    My 2012 Porsche 911 makes noise worse than that when I turn the wheels all the way to the left or right. It's a known issue and it feels mechanical, but Porsche says it's "normal". Some Pcar owners say it's the tires, others say it's the electric power steering. That developed on mine after the first 2000 miles.

Currently my MS does not have the click yours does, but now I'm worried. How many miles do you on your MS?

9. efusco

Started somewhere around 5000 miles, at 6000 now.

10. Born 2 Skydive

My P85 started doing it too. I only hear it during parking maneuvers. Javier from Tesla Raleigh NC came and took care of it. He removed the bin from the frunk and we could hear where the sound originated from. He loosen a couple of bolts and lubed it and the clicking disappeared

11. efusco

No idea what it was, exactly? Glad to know it was an easy fix, but it seems odd, it sounds like something catching on something and it's unusual that it's only at low speed or when stopped that it occurs...

Thank you for letting me know that though.

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Just an FYI...

I heard what sounded like the same clicking (from outside the vehicle) when someone was moving a vehicle around at the event at Metropolitan Detail today. I meant to mention it to the owner but got distracted. :(

13. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

Could it be the CV joints? Would be awfully early for those to be the problem, having wore down many myself :cursing:

14. strider

strider Active Member

MS is rear-wheel drive only. No CV's.

15. alset

alset Member

I'm getting this now too, was just occasionally, now becoming more regular. Happens near full lock so naturally only at low speed maneuvering.

Going in for service today so I will see what they can do.

16. efusco

Ok...let me add another twist...
    About the same time I started noticing the steering wheel click phenomenon, I started noticing that every once in a while, usually after a period of 6-12 hours left undriven and usually after being charged, that when I stepped on the brake it seemed FAR more firm that usual and would take a bit to gradually depress to the normal "full depressed" position. Once it was down the brake pedal feedback pressure is the same as it always was.

Any connection?

17. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

I just noticed the click as well the past couple of days, while maneuvering in a friend's driveway. It's more low speed/no speed extreme steering wheel turning than I normally do. Haven't noticed anything else out of the ordinary other than I got the TPMS service warning for the first time today. I'm still waiting on 4.3, so hope that will make that warning go away.

18. alset

alset Member

Service adjusted torque on some nuts somewhere (steering rack?) and it's all good. Seems like nothing to worry about and just take care of it when convenient.

BTW, the first time anyone gets a TPMS warning, I would check tire pressures. It would be unusual to have a low tire pressure warning though with temperatures increasing (+1 psi for every 10 degrees F). Could also be a slow leak, it can actually work as intended sometimes. :)

19. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

No, that's normal. Something to do with the brake fluids pressurizing.

20. efusco

Yea, I'll have to get Leo to look at that too, certainly once I'm rolling it's not an issue, but feels odd that the pedal doesn't depress normally when stepping on it.