Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering "Click" at stop and low speed--normal or not

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am now getting the steering click as well at 6500 km (4,000 miles). It is quite loud and seemed to start, strangely enough, right after I had an alignment done. Called Toronto service and I mentioned that other cars are having this issue. They also think its a matter of loosening and tightening some bolts on the steering rack (as someone else posted). His reasoning was a temperature and humidity change causing different expansion/contraction of the different metals used??? I was trying to schedule a ranger visit but he indicated he had no visibility as to when he could make it out. Still waiting for the call. He did say it was not a safety concern and there was no problem driving it like this. I am self conscious driving in parking lots now because you can hear it outside the car, especially given the car is so silent otherwise.

Mine started up with this yesterday. As mentioned its worse since the car is so quiet. Got a double blast yesterday with the clicking and the sound of the ac compressor in a parking lot with on lookers :(

I'll shoot service a message.

Just got mine back from being serviced and it is still clicking once in a while. Not as badly though. Apparently the clicking is in a steering column bushing, which they replaced or adjusted? Maybe not since it is not fixed. Not going back until they have the loaner roadsters ready.

I started noticing that every once in a while, usually after a period of 6-12 hours left undriven and usually after being charged, that when I stepped on the brake it seemed FAR more firm that usual and would take a bit to gradually depress to the normal "full depressed" position. Once it was down the brake pedal feedback pressure is the same as it always was.

I've noticed this on mine lately as well. On old ICE cars, that usually meant a leak in the power brake vacuum assist. Most cars are able to hold enough vacuum to keep power brakes "powered" for days on end. When new, my Model S maintained power brakes overnight (that's as long as the car ever sat), but now with 4,000 miles, the brake has no power assist by morning until I "start" it up when I assume some sort of electric vacuum pump comes on.

EDIT: I wonder if in past software versions the brake assist was left running all the time but with 4.4 they turned it off when the car is off to save power?

I've noticed this on mine lately as well. On old ICE cars, that usually meant a leak in the power brake vacuum assist. Most cars are able to hold enough vacuum to keep power brakes "powered" for days on end. When new, my Model S maintained power brakes overnight (that's as long as the car ever sat), but now with 4,000 miles, the brake has no power assist by morning until I "start" it up when I assume some sort of electric vacuum pump comes on.

EDIT: I wonder if in past software versions the brake assist was left running all the time but with 4.4 they turned it off when the car is off to save power?

Glad to know it's not just me. I notice this over night or when undriven for 6-8 hours.

Here's what's causing the steering click...

The photo below shows what's under the frunk of the Model S. About one-third the way down from the top of the image you will see the steering rack and its associated motor. You'll also see the steering wheel shaft angling off to the right.

InsideModelS.jpg

The steering rack is secured by two bolts — one at each end. These bolts attach the steering rack mounting ears to a similar part of the car's frame. This is where the problem comes in. When the car is stationary and the wheels are turned to their limit, considerable lateral forces act on these mounting points. Even with the bolts torqued to spec, a tiny amount of slippage can occur between the mounting ears and the frame. That slippage creates the clicking sound. The fix being employed by Tesla service involves loosening the bolts and applying some grease between the mounting ear and the frame. This will resolve the clicking noises, but the tiny bit of movement will still be there. By any measure, this is not unsafe.

The problem is a result of a engineering design decision in the way the steering rack is secured. Typically, a good deal more surface area would comprise a rack-to-frame mounting point, and would thereby eliminate the possibility of lateral slippage. I imagine we'll see a reworking of this the next time the Model S frame is updated. In the scheme of things, this seems like a very minor issue.

Last edited:
As well, I now have the stiff brake issue after sitting as of this morning. I noticed a whirring or fan noise occurring at the time I put my foot on the brake possibly coming from the AC?
I think I have an idea for the next Cinergi Instructional Video: "Sounds of the Model S".

@Cinergi - It would be very helpful if we had the frequently discussed sounds that the Model S makes catalogued so that instead of "Does anybody have the whirring pop sizzle plop sound?" they can just say "I'm hearing sound #27 when I'm not expecting it."

I had this clicking fixed by the Service Center a week or so after I had my snow tires removed, the last week in April.
The clicking is back...Anyone had this re-occur?

Thanks

Yes the clicking came back after it was fixed a few months ago. It is not as bad though and I can live with it. Will probably bring it to their attention when my first service comes up.

I had this clicking fixed by the Service Center a week or so after I had my snow tires removed, the last week in April.
The clicking is back...Anyone had this re-occur?

I guess my normal driving routine doesn't usually see me making sharp turns, but yesterday backing into a tight spot, I had to crank the wheel tighter than usual and hear the snap/click sound...