Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering "Click" at stop and low speed--normal or not

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At 13,000 miles now and my Nov2013 car just started the steering wheel clicking yesterday. This was immediately after the big screen showed the red "car needs service" banner. Because of this thread I'm not worried, and I'm nowhere near a service centre for the next few weeks. A reboot took care of the banner. We'll see what happens today.

At 13,000 miles now and my Nov2013 car just started the steering wheel clicking yesterday. This was immediately after the big screen showed the red "car needs service" banner. Because of this thread I'm not worried, and I'm nowhere near a service centre for the next few weeks. A reboot took care of the banner. We'll see what happens today.

Well, colour me confused. The clicking I heard yesterday, which sure sounded mechanical at the time, seems to have been fixed by a) the new Tesla Service Nighttime Stealth Team; b) leprechauns; c) that reboot I did after parking. It just wasn't there this morning. Also drove 450 miles today with no problems.

My RHD car (1 month old today) has this clicking issue (not quite as severe as in the original video, but quite noticeable). Have included in snagging list of items to sort out - the car is going in to be looked at last week.

Thanks for a very helpful/informative thread!

Same, except I couldn't get an appointment at WD next week :( Can put up with the odd rattle but this sounds awful.

Have had my car in to fix the steering click 4 times now. First fix is that they add some shims, per a service bulletin. Since then, they have been just tightening some part of the steering setup. Latest for me is that they tightened to 150nm and it now seems to have gone away. Fingers crossed. I also learned that Tesla uses a Range Rover rack.

Mine came back too. I notified them but haven't taken it in yet because the service center is 180 miles away.

Does anyone have a picture of what gets tightened? A procedure would be great, however not necessary. I have a torque wrench and I'll just tighten it to the 150nm if I can see what needs tightened.

Didn't even notice mine clicking but got it fixed recently when in for other service:

Wheel Click.jpg

Mine has been in three (?) different times to get fixed (may be four times). Everytime it goes away for about a week then comes back. It starts off as a quiet click then it progressively gets louder. Definietly annoying but I inquired if I didn't bring it back if it would do damage and the the SC told me that it wouldn't so I haven't bothered to take it back in.

When I need something else done I will add it on but I am not making a special trip to get it "fixed" again.

Ours was just fixed today. The order says they re-torqued the bolts to a (much?) higher value.

We shall see how it lasts. I specifically asked about re-occurence, and Vancouver service assured me they get most cars fully fixed the first time. We shall see; fingers crossed!

My "click" cropped up fairly early and I had it seen to (I think) last November. It has not recurred.

Ours was just fixed today. The order says they re-torqued the bolts to a (much?) higher value.

We shall see how it lasts. I specifically asked about re-occurence, and Vancouver service assured me they get most cars fully fixed the first time. We shall see; fingers crossed!

I've had to bring my car into the SC twice for clicking. it only shows up when making tight turns while backing into my parking space. hopefully the new torque specs do the trick.

My car has been doing this for a while and matches both the sounds and the problems reported by others-low speed or stopped turning with high loads on the rack. Fix done today was via a replacement of the rack bolts, adding shims and re-torqueing suspension components (per service bulletin). Problem gone for now but at least I know what it is if it returns.