TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Steering "clicks" into place when steering like hands on a clock (video)

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by farzyness, May 30, 2017.

1. farzyness

farzyness Food lover. Entrepreneur. Did I say food lover?

Hi gang - not sure if anyone else has experienced this before. Noticed this today while driving the wife's car. Steering feels like it "clicks" into place when turning it slowly, yet feeling goes away when turning at a faster rate. Feels like the motion of a second hand on a click.

I've a attached a video below that tries to demonstrate this. Anyone else have this issue or know what it may be? Guessing it has something to do with the steering assist.

2. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

It could be lane change detection, if you're changing lanes without using the blinker.
    You can turn on or off in settings.

3. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

You might have an issue with a steering column u-joint. It's hard to tell from the video.

4. Zero CO2

Zero CO2 a long term goal

Just took delivery of my Model S 75 last friday 5/26 at very low speed/stopped/shifting from D/R, R/D ... i hear what I would describe as clicking sound (not sure if it is steering wheel or tires) ....could be same issue or not ......

5. gnelson

gnelson Member

Mine was corrected by the Las Vegas Service Center. They resecured some wiring in the steering column.

6. farzyness

Not this unfortunately - already turned off on the settings.

Could be this - it literally feels like the steering wheel is on a gear and I'm slotting it into a tooth for each degree that I turn the wheel.

Sounds like a completely different issue.

Would be surprised if it's a wiring issue - it's too "precise" around the entire range of turning.

7. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

May not be same issue, but my car and one other at about 40000km developed a steering click at full lock in both directions very low to zero speed. Turns out it required a steering rack shim and new bolts to steering rack with torquing - fixed both cars immediately.

8. AntronX

AntronX Member

Hey! I get the same "detent-like" feeling when slowly turning steering wheel on my Nissan Leaf. I think this effect is caused by servo motor driven power steering system. I am not sure if that effect is caused by either steering assist brushless motor "cogging" effect due to use of permanent magnets in the rotor, or this is some artifact of steering torque input detection and feedback system. Either way, I believe what you are experiencing is normal behaviour inherent in electronically assisted power steering systems. Maybe if we page Ingineer, he could explain it further.

9. David99

David99 Active Member

My guess is the servo motor that provides the steering assist. In the old days it used to be a hydraulic compressor, these days it's an electric motor that helps you rotate the steering. For it to work there are sensors that detect which way your hands turn the wheel and how strong and then the motor matches that. It seems in your car the sensor isn't working right, It doesn't seem to pick up the subtle and once you pull just a little harder it kicks in the assist motor which causes that resistance feeling at first and then the motor catches up.

Definitely go to the service center soon. You don't want to loose steering assist or have it freak out on you.

10. David99

David99 Active Member

Definitely not normal for Tesla. Mine is perfectly smooth and instant.

11. farzyness

This makes a ton of sense - will address this ASAP. Thanks so much!