TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Steering column and wheel, I love it.

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by William13, Apr 3, 2012.

1. spatterso911

spatterso911 P100DL - Raven

Brings back good memories of a great comedy!

Or perhaps he meant...

image_01.jpg

2. BYT_P1837

BYT_P1837 Member

Are ute kidding me? Sorry, I just couldn't resist!

3. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

#23 Thumper, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
    I knew a guy who had a 250SE coupe MB stored in a barn. The barn collapsed and crushed the roof over the back seats. He turned it into a Ute. It turned out quite well. I used to have his card with picture but can't find it now. He was from Willmette, IL. He also owned an SSK.

4. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

After visiting the Dania store again, I think the column shifter make sense with the TM idea of having a large open space under the screen or some other functional storage unit.

5. neroden

neroden Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan

My grandmother was a 4-on-the-floor fan -- even ordered a car with a bench seat and 4-on-the-floor (that was an interesting special order)....
    When she was younger she drove a Cord.
    She was the auto fan in the family, driver of sportscars since the 1920s, and I'm sorry she's not around to see the Model S. She'd've liked it.

6. neroden

neroden Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan

Damn. Thanks. It had been suggested that a 19 inch rim with a deflated tire might fit, but probably not?

This makes me VERY happy; it's going to be far easier to keep looking nice.

Good. My family's going to be shoving that as far in as possible (short legs all).

7. jeffhre

jeffhre Member

That clunking seemed fairly smooth in 1964 :)

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

In 1964 torque converters had a lot of "play" in them to smooth the shifts--at the expense of MPG. Modern cars don't have that kind of play. However, once you've driven a car that doesn't shift, you won't want to go back to the clunky system.

9. 78Lion

78Lion Member

thank you.

Remember this is a one gear transmission. The way it works in our ML is flick it up for reverse, down for drive (down again for lower gear) and a button on the tip is pushed for park. Also, if you turn the car off while in gear is automatically goes into park.

10. 78Lion

78Lion Member

Bingo. My tribute to a great comedic actor.