Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Column Display in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I told my wife my Model 3 will probably be my first and last pure fun car. After that, I just want my car to drive me around while I chill out.
Hey....just do what I'm going to do. After I fulfill my years of Ludicrous fun....I'm just going to put the car in valet mode and drive off into the sunset.

How many people have seen the end of the movie "Cars"? In valet mode... I'll still have the motor for Ludicrous...(just in case.)

I want a NORMAL steering wheel.

Not some u-shaped piece of junk that will make long sharp turns difficult. Not some retracting-protracting piece of junk that will break down and make my car inoperable.

A NORMAL STEERING WHEEL.

Give me a HUD and incorporate the center display more seamlessly into the dash and THAT'S IT. DON'T SCREW AROUND, TESLA!

• Love
Reactions: jkk_ and Jayc
I'm not sure who Tesla feels its M3 customer base is....but I can't imagine a 70 year old being attracted to any of these concepts. Let alone some 60 year olds.
Unless there are "versions" of the M3 from "regular" to "super space like" I can't imagine these concepts being the only option. The M3 is intended to be a mass produced car. If they mass produce spaceship cars, then ......
GG, I don't know how old YOU are but don't underestimate those of us in the 60-70 year old range. We may have a few more miles on us but the fire has not gone out. :)

Reactions: X Fan
Tesla 3 not to be confused by M3 which is the model name for another brand. Are you keepin' up, keepin' up? The other Tesla models are TS and TX. It's h3ll being young, naive, and clueless! :D
Except that no one calls them Tesla 3, Tesla S, or Tesla X, it is always Model 3, Model S, and Model X.

The closest you're going to come to T3, TS, or TX would be Tesla Model 3, Tesla Model S or Tesla Model X which, of course, would then be TM3, TMS, and TMX.

All of these super-modern designs focus on the driver, and seem to forget that there are occupants that will want to tinker with the radio and the climate control. With the Model 3's super-tidy dashboard look, it seems that the passengers will not even be able to adjust the air vents.

-- Ardie
And let's not get started on the cup holders again.

You're still looking at the dash though, not the steering wheel itself. Try looking at the center of the steering wheel for a couple of seconds, you'll see that there is more of change there than just about anywhere else. Depending on where they have the steering wheel positioned sme people may have to physically move their head to be able to see something there, whereas with the dash or a hud all they would have to do is move their eyes.
When you are looking at the road, looking at the dash requires a change in focus (distance). If the display was on the steering wheel rather than behind, that would require a larger change in focus. Changes in focus can take up to 300 milliseconds (aka 26.4 feet at 60 MPH).

Aha, I see what has happened:
My biggest problems with a steering wheel display
This post - without any quote or referral to who you was addressing - was just after my response to JeffK discussing the steering wheel column display. So I thought this post was a response to me. I now see that you was taking about a display *on* the steering wheel, not behind it on the column.

Thank you kindly.
Your welcome :)

With the Model 3's super-tidy dashboard look, it seems that the passengers will not even be able to adjust the air vents.

From what I have gathered about Tesla, is that they are trying to make the car as "digitized" as possible to increase the futuristic feel and make it seem like a timeless car. With that said, the air vents will go across the entire dashboard (I believe Elon made a tweet that said this) in which the vents will probably be controlled with the touch screen.

The options when you digitize things get really awesome. If the air vents go across the entire width of the cabin, I wouldn't be surprised to see it broken up in multiple sections, like 4 or maybe 6 (3 for each front passenger). And I know this sounds kind of crazy, but do you know how Tesla in the model s has the ability to focus volume on a certain part of the car using controls of the 13 or so speakers placed throughout the cabin? Well that doesn't seem impossible to do that with air vents. Anyways, we will just have to see when part 2 comes along.

All of these super-modern designs focus on the driver, and seem to forget that there are occupants that will want to tinker with the radio and the climate control. With the Model 3's super-tidy dashboard look, it seems that the passengers will not even be able to adjust the air vents.

-- Ardie
And let's not get started on the cup holders again.

Well the Model 3 has real cupholders. And the center display is more easily accessible to the passenger than in the S or X. So I'm not sure what your complaints are with either of those.

I do have concerns about the A/C vents. But if air blows out along the entire length of that black/white crevice then it might not be bad at all. But that's an "if", obvi.