Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Column Display in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon mentioned something like " feels like a spaceship", so it might be something overwhelming, when you start your spaceship.
Sorry for the bad photoshop work, but what if we get something like this and the dashboard we saw is already the finished version ( they just didn't open it...) ???:rolleyes:
View attachment 192172
Nice animation and interesting concept; though, as others have mentioned, not practical for a $35K car.

How long before this gets picked up, propogated and reported by the "media" outlets and blogs as a leaked photo of the Model 3's interior? :)

• Funny
Reactions: Model 3
image.png
Elon mentioned something like " feels like a spaceship", so it might be something overwhelming, when you start your spaceship.
Sorry for the bad photoshop work, but what if we get something like this and the dashboard we saw is already the finished version ( they just didn't open it...) ???:rolleyes:
View attachment 192172

Awesome work, I was thinking that the dash might do something like this. The more I look at this dash set up. It makes me think that it flips up or something. That little peice that is connecting to the top part of the dash on the left corner looks like it does something. Also the front top part of the dash is a whole seperate peice. It looks like it might move somehow.

Maybe thats why they won't let a
View attachment 192172

Maybe thats why they don't want anybody to mess with the interior too much. So they don't risk someone figuring something like this out. Hmmmmmm. I like this better than alot of the other ideas floating around the net.

Reactions: MissAutobahn
Interesting Idea :) But as @JeffK I'm a bit worried about things that has to move, and it would remove some of the benefits with the low "dashboard" that Elon touted at the unveiling. But why raise it? It could be some instruments and lights in that "line" as it is. And that was my first thought before anyone mentioned HUD.
I am with you, let it be simple, with productionparts as little as possible.
As I saw most of the new ideas from other overloaded steering systems or dashes, I felt a bit stressed.
"Make it simple, make it clear. People will accept and love it" has always been my device.
The look of a rising up dashboard would stay calm ( I also love the dash in the X and S for that calm design) and in the wide line they also could fit 2 screens left and right end replacing the side mirrors, also the air vents. On the back side would be place enough for cameras, hud projectors, speaker etc... and closing the dash automatically by leaving your car more than 3 minutes also means no more dusty air vents with a lot of "schmutz" after 3-4 years.

Reactions: JeffK and Model 3
Maybe thats why they won't let a

Maybe thats why they don't want anybody to mess with the interior too much. So they don't risk someone figuring something like this out. Hmmmmmm. I like this better than alot of the other ideas floating around the net.
Nice animation and interesting concept; though, as others have mentioned, not practical for a $35K car.

How long before this gets picked up, propogated and reported by the "media" outlets and blogs as a leaked photo of the Model 3's interior? :)

I don't mind if the media brings out any news concerning Tesla. Who said "any publicity is good publicity for name recognition".
And every day, they write about Tesla, somewhere on earth ist waking up a human, thinking of buying a Tesla :)

I can easily buy that argument :) So, how to make it auto-clean the rest of the cockpit? ;)
It's electrostatic charged so if dust try to deposit on it in reallity will slide down and deposit in the carpet, where for some time it's ok, and of course it's tratted agains oil.
WARNING: it will not keep clean agains fingerprint and it can make your car uncomfortable if he try to sleep on it

Ok Ok....let me say this... I didn't think I would have to, however I see that I do...... Senior people don't like new things or changes to the norm nearly as much as youth do. I also didn't think I would have to say this either.... but here it goes "I'm not talking about ALL seniors.".

That's why they buy buicks more than any other age groups on the planet. Buicks always produce a "simple" version car without a lot of buttons and touchscreen-swipe type options. They also have a pocket for flip phones.
Can someone please explain to me the propose of the dislike button? What in the world does it mean?

• Disagree
Reactions: S3XY
Can someone please explain to me the propose of the dislike button? What in the world does it mean?
Some people like, others dislike, some do, others don't, many don't mind like me.
There are people on earth that love bleu bicycles , others red cars.
The crucial thing is, that there are to many people that do not accept other opinions.
For those, they made the dislike button.
I just pushed it twice because of political incorrectness.

If some users would push their thumbs down to what I photoshopped, I wouldn't be offended at all. I let them their preferences :)

Some people like, others dislike, some do, others don't, many don't mind like me.
There are people on earth that love bleu bicycles , others red cars.
The crucial thing is, that there are to many people that do not accept other opinions.
For those, they made the dislike button.
I just pushed it twice because of political incorrectness.

If some users would push their thumbs down to what I photoshopped, I wouldn't be offended at all. I let them their preferences :)
Thanks. That makes perfect sense.

I think a dash LCD similar to the Mercedes EQ concept would be great. A wide LCD that would present speedometer and other driver info straight ahead. Look how clean the dash looks and is similar to the Model 3. I would even make it a few inches taller too.View attachment 197207 View attachment 197208

That is very cool! Although it's a prototype, I see Mercedes forward thinking much ahead of their competition besides Tesla. I especially like those pedals.

Question: that steering wheel can accommodate an airbag?

While I have delt with computers/technology since the late 1970s, loved Star Trec, and almost any book on dragons; I expect the Model III to meet or exceed the looks and feel of the Model S & X.
My beef is not being able to buy any of the cars in GREEN!
I am on the list for a III, but my son-in-law is rooting for me to buy the X so he can have my III. This only surfaced after my 6 year old Granddaughter asked the question of her parents "are we going to buy an electric car and save the Earth?"
Elon please bring back the Forest Green color. Even if I am the only one that wants it.

Have you seen the huge 17'' tablet on the Model S and X?
And the full led instrument cluster?

Senior people like new stuff too...

As a senior, I can say that I like the Model S instrument cluster very much (bought one). One concern of older drivers is a reduction in the ability to focus on objects at varying distances. I would prefer a display that is closer to road than one that is close to the face of the steering wheel.

I'm excited about the HUD possibility and believe it would be a plus in safety for seniors and other drivers as well.

I think a dash LCD similar to the Mercedes EQ concept would be great. A wide LCD that would present speedometer and other driver info straight ahead. Look how clean the dash looks and is similar to the Model 3. I would even make it a few inches taller too.
At the Model 3 reveals, the test ride drivers, who were high level Tesla employees, clearly stated that the production Model 3 design would include the 15" center display as shown in the two prototypes at the reveal. That 15" display will be standard.

So the Model 3 will not have anything like the display shown in the Mercedes EQ concept.

At the Model 3 reveals, the test ride drivers, who were high level Tesla employees, clearly stated that the production Model 3 design would include the 15" center display as shown in the two prototypes at the reveal. That 15" display will be standard.

So the Model 3 will not have anything like the display shown in the Mercedes EQ concept.
Yes...they did indeed say that. However I'm interested in how Elons spaceship concept will integrate with the screen.

Yes...they did indeed say that. However I'm interested in how Elons spaceship concept will integrate with the screen.
As @Red Sage points out, Elon's tweet was "Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the Model 3. It feels like a spaceship."

The 15" center display screen will be standard. You need it for the nav map display, for interacting with the music you are playing, the many screens that control various functions of the car like in the S/X, etc. So just like in the S/X the center display has nothing to do with actually driving the car or with Autopilot driving the car.

I took their comments as more that it will be a 15" horizontal screen, and not necessarily that everything will look like the prototype, but it's been a while since I saw those videos so I may have to go back and watch to hear the exact wording.

Reactions: Red Sage