Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering column doesn't move after software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updated the system OS just now, everything works fine except the steering column is locked in the up and IN position. The steering adjustment screen doesn't move the wheel, the driver profiles don't move the wheel, trying "service -> seat and steering calibration" doesn't move the wheel. The buttons on the wheel works. Tried soft reset and that didn't fix anything.

Any tips?

Have you tried the generic "use power off in the menu, let the car sleep for at least 10-15 minutes, then come back and see if it works"? This isnt quite the same thing as the two button reset, as some things need to let the car sleep to resolve.
For the life of me I cannot find that power off button under service! It used to be there, but after the latest UI update it's not there anymore? I was staring at the car and scrolling through all the screens... did I miss it? I also tried the "hard reset" that used to work, brake + 2 buttons. That didn't do anything other than the screen turning black and then back on again in a minute or so. I didn't see the Tesla logo like when I tried a hard reset last year.

For the life of me I cannot find that power off button under service! It used to be there, but after the latest UI update it's not there anymore? I was staring at the car and scrolling through all the screens... did I miss it? I also tried the "hard reset" that used to work, brake + 2 buttons. That didn't do anything other than the screen turning black and then back on again in a minute or so. I didn't see the Tesla logo like when I tried a hard reset last year.
It's under Controls > Safety > Power Off according to the online manual (which should be up to date for latest version):

It's under Controls > Safety > Power Off according to the online manual (which should be up to date for latest version):

I just went out to the car to confirm, and yeah thats where it is (controls -- safety -- power off)

OP what I do when I power off the car:

1. Enter car through drivers side door, sit in seat but do not close drivers door
2. Execute power off from the menu as above
3. exit car through Still open drivers door, then shut door after I get out

That allows you to execute a power off command but not sit in the car waiting for it. Let the car sit for at least 10-15 minutes. I recommend at least 15 minutes, but longer wont hurt. Basically, power it off as above, then leave the car and go do something else for a bit. Come back "later" (at a minimum 15 minutes but I usually wait at least half an hour), then unlock the car and check.

I do this after every single update (power off, let car sit till "later"). I make an effort to power off the car after every update but I dont make an effort to go power it back on until I need to use it again, whenever that is.

I dont usually see any of the strange "glitches" people report after updates, doing it this way, and I have been doing it this way since I got the car. See if that fixes it (this is what I mean by generic fix, its the good ole "turn it off and on again", which people get upset about when IT people tell them this, but many times it works.

Unfortunately after a power off as per jjrandorin's helpful instructions, the tilt/telescope feature still doesn't work. Feels like the car did a self seat/steering calibration during/after the update and jammed the column to the UP and IN position and now refuses to move. I don't hear or feel anything from the motors as I try to adjust the tilt/telescope.

Guess I'll have to wait 2 weeks for mobile tech to show up, bummer. At least the car's still drivable.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
That's interesting, I'm on 44.30.7 and I am not having that issue. My only issue is when my wife was the last to drive the Tesla, when I get in, it's still adjusting to her preference and ignoring mine, even thought I unlocked the car and hit the brake pedal. I have to go in and change the driver to me. However, if I was the last driver, as soon as I press the brake pedal, it adjusts everything to my preferences.

Perhaps I'm missing your problem or 44.30.8 introduced a new issue.

That's interesting, I'm on 44.30.7 and I am not having that issue. My only issue is when my wife was the last to drive the Tesla, when I get in, it's still adjusting to her preference and ignoring mine, even thought I unlocked the car and hit the brake pedal. I have to go in and change the driver to me. However, if I was the last driver, as soon as I press the brake pedal, it adjusts everything to my preferences.

Perhaps I'm missing your problem or 44.30.8 introduced a new issue.
So I'm sitting in my 3 right now and without pressing the brake, I go to controls, select the steering wheel adjustment control, and hit the left nipple wheel and the steering wheel moves up and down and in and out. I can also move the mirrors. I guess I am not understanding what and when you're experiencing.

So I'm sitting in my 3 right now and without pressing the brake, I go to controls, select the steering wheel adjustment control, and hit the left nipple wheel and the steering wheel moves up and down and in and out. I can also move the mirrors. I guess I am not understanding what and when you're experiencing.
The nipple buttons themselves are working fine, but the tilt/telescope motors do not respond to driver profile changes or manual changes in the settings menu.

Somehow this happened right after I left the car charging overnight and updated the software. Not sure if really has anything to do with software update or if a connector for the tilt/telescope simply unplugged itself. I'll update this thread once the car's repaired by Tesla service.

The nipple buttons themselves are working fine, but the tilt/telescope motors do not respond to driver profile changes or manual changes in the settings menu.

Somehow this happened right after I left the car charging overnight and updated the software. Not sure if really has anything to do with software update or if a connector for the tilt/telescope simply unplugged itself. I'll update this thread once the car's repaired by Tesla service.
Mine responds to the profile for all the drivers. It'll be interesting to see what Tesla finds out.

Mobile tech came out today but failed to fix the problem. He swapped out the steering module (the horn/center of the steering wheel) and reloaded firmware, but nothing changed. The car will have to go to the service center for further diagnosis. :( He said mobile techs don't have volt meters or the tools to look at the actual tilt/telescope motors, and the remote diagnosis prompted them to change the steering module.

• Informative
Reactions: S&B's M3 and tm1v2
Problem is resolved. However the service tech couldn't tell me what was done to fix it (Sorry I only move the cars on the lot), and there's no final invoice on the Tesla app and no one responded to my questions in the app either.

For what it's worth, in LA, I scheduled a service for this issue on Jan 27, got openings for early March. I kept hitting the reschedule button over the next 3 days and got an earlier appointment for Feb 2. After dropping off the car, they told me it could take up to 2 weeks to fix, there was no loaner available but I did receive $1500 uber credits. Got the car back on Feb 8th with no explanation of what was wrong or how they fixed it. 🤷‍♂️

For future reference, part # 1044811-00-H Electric steering column left hand drive was replaced and the issue was fixed.

Oh, no problem, just a small part that needed replacing due to a software update, LOL! This is not going to be fun out of warranty.

1644554534587.png

• Funny
Reactions: XPsionic
I wonder what the bill would be from Tesla with no warranty. And I wonder if you can drop in an eBay unit and have it work, or if it needs to be programmed to the car.
I think you just need to get the year range right: