Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering column harmonic vibration when telescoping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone. Since I’ve picked up the car 3 years ago I’ve had an issue causing my steering wheel horizontal motion (when it comes towards me during easy entry and exit) to vibrate rather loudly. You can even feel it in the back floorboard of the car it’s so prominent.

Has anyone had an issue like that and fixed it on these cars or any car for that matter? I’ve been in multiple other Model S and none have this issue. I told service and they said it wasn’t an actual issue and refused to mess with it. (I’m out of warranty since then anyway) but I’m mechanically competent so I would try to fix this myself if anyone could drop some tips. Thanks!

A post from April 2019: "We took our Model X in for the 25K service a few months ago and mentioned the noise when telescoping (very loud rubbing and vibration). They immediately confirmed the said they "lubed" the steering column during the repairs. We took it back in this past week as the "lubing" didn't help and they replaced the steering column. My only concern after driving briefly with the new steering column is that the steering does not feel as tight as is was previously. It feels more like a traditional luxury sedan. I loved the responsiveness in my Model X steering so hoping that my observation is just a mental side effect from driving a loaner 2014 P85 Model S for nearly a week."

• Informative
Reactions: selfbp
Any good outcome here? Service just lubed mine (also ‘18 M3) and it didn’t help much.
Service tried to lube mine ('19 Model 3) after a year and it didn't work so they replaced the entire column. Fast forward to now and the second one is acting up. Tesla lubed it which worked for about a month but the problem is back. The car is approaching the end of the warranty so I am going to try to convince them to replace it again. But unless there has been some parts modification, I assume the problem will return again. I'd like to know what is lubed so I can at least try to do it myself once the warranty expires.

Reactions: Jmolloy3