TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Steering Column Stalk Swap

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Huw Upshall, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Huw Upshall

Huw Upshall Member

I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed, I looked, but I didn't see anything of real depth.

Has anybody successfully swapped the later style steering column stalks with an earlier car? Are the stalk controls coded to the car? I'm assuming that it's a LIN Bus module - I've got a protocol sniffer coming I just wanted to see what other people had done.

2. GA24

GA24 Member

I just retrofitted my 2013 Model S steering column with upgraded controls.

3. Naonak

Naonak Member

Do you mean you swapped the positions of the two left hand stalks?

4. P-town_P85

P-town_P85 Member

How? And how much?

This is high on my todo list.

5. rknp85plus

rknp85plus Member

Did you upgrade your Gen 1 steering column with a Gen 2? I heard once you take off the steering wheel it is just 2 clips and a connector and the steering column slides off. Did you have to pop off the lower panel off first?

Attached Files:

• 0.jpg
      0.jpg
      File size:
      43.5 KB
      Views:
    • 01-41.jpg
      01-41.jpg
      File size:
      68.7 KB
      Views:
  6. oktane

oktane Active Member

Yes annoying that stalk positions got changed with later models.

7. olsch01

olsch01 New Member

Interested in this as well. For folks that have done it, is the process simply to remove the steering wheel, then disconnect and remove the steering control module, then attach the Gen2 and re-assemble? Or are there other items in there that need to be swapped along with the actual Control Module?

This is the one thing about my car that I just cannot get used to (Weird position of the turn signal lever)

Thanks!

8. Vrgs13

Vrgs13 Member

Would love to see this thread get updated. I just broke my cruise stalk on my classic p85. Would like to know if it's just plug and play or needs to be programmed. tesla wants $900 for the assembly! plus installation. I can get a used gen 2 stalks on ebay for $200. Please any advise would be greatly appreciated

9. Vrgs13

Vrgs13 Member

Would love to see this thread get updated. I just broke my cruise stalk on my classic p85. Would like to know if it's just plug and play or needs to be programmed. tesla wants $900 for the assembly! plus installation. I can get a used gen 2 stalks on ebay for $200. Please any advise would be greatly appreciated

10. battleroyale

battleroyale Member

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  11. Vrgs13

Vrgs13 Member

Yes, I read that but I didn't know if there was any programming that needed to be done. I don't mind spending the money on the parts I just don't have anybody to program them if they need it

12. Chaserr

Chaserr Member

Bumping this conversation hoping someone has an answer, it looks like removing the wheel and column is easy - are there any programming steps needed?