Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Column Stalk Swap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed, I looked, but I didn't see anything of real depth.

Has anybody successfully swapped the later style steering column stalks with an earlier car? Are the stalk controls coded to the car? I'm assuming that it's a LIN Bus module - I've got a protocol sniffer coming I just wanted to see what other people had done.

I just retrofitted my 2013 Model S steering column with upgraded controls.

Did you upgrade your Gen 1 steering column with a Gen 2? I heard once you take off the steering wheel it is just 2 clips and a connector and the steering column slides off. Did you have to pop off the lower panel off first?

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 388
  • 01-41.jpg
    01-41.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 297
Interested in this as well. For folks that have done it, is the process simply to remove the steering wheel, then disconnect and remove the steering control module, then attach the Gen2 and re-assemble? Or are there other items in there that need to be swapped along with the actual Control Module?

This is the one thing about my car that I just cannot get used to (Weird position of the turn signal lever)

Thanks!

Would love to see this thread get updated. I just broke my cruise stalk on my classic p85. Would like to know if it's just plug and play or needs to be programmed. tesla wants $900 for the assembly! plus installation. I can get a used gen 2 stalks on ebay for $200. Please any advise would be greatly appreciated

I just retrofitted my 2013 Model S steering column with upgraded controls.

Would love to see this thread get updated. I just broke my cruise stalk on my classic p85. Would like to know if it's just plug and play or needs to be programmed. tesla wants $900 for the assembly! plus installation. I can get a used gen 2 stalks on ebay for $200. Please any advise would be greatly appreciated

I have the parts and will do the swap this weekend. I remember seeing a youtube video posted by an owner here showing how to remove the column posted a few weeks ago but can't find it now, does anyone still have the link? I'll follow up in this thread with my findings. I have a new AP style stalk and the steering wheel buttons from an AP car, it's my understanding that these 2 items will "just work" after install. Either I will post confirmation of this shortly, or I will post a heads up if more is needed.

Alright, I give up. That's 2 weekends that I've tried and failed. I can't remove the airbag, which means I can't remove the steering wheel to replce the steering column. I found a youtube that shows "remove 2 swcrews from the back of the wheel" and I loosen them but they don't come out. T25 Torx by the way, I can successfully tighten them, and they looses to what I think is an endstop in only a few turns, but 1000 turns later does nothing to let me remove the airbag and they never fall out, no magnet can do it either. The next step is "remove the airbag" and that's not possible..

Sorry, either my car has a different latch on the airbag airbag holding it on or every explanation I've watched and read - including the service manual - is wrong or leaving out some important things.

OK, finally! Never get old! I dislocated a shoulder trying to pull off the airbag assembly, but that happens whenever that shoulder tries to lift more than 30 pounds so you need to put at least that much effort into it. Airbag popped off, I swapped in the RevF v2 buttons, swapped over to the new stalks, and re-assembled.

New stalks are working, turn signals , wipers, headlights all work.

Steering wheel buttons are disabled. I have power - lights on the buttons illuminate - but nothing happens when I press the buttons.

This includes the horn, it's not honking either. I swapped back to the original buttons and same deal, no horn no voice activation no volume etc. I'm hoping for a software update notification soon, because without those buttons I can't reset to see if that fixes it. The manual says you need to flash new software to the assembly so maybe an update is needed rather than the reboot anyway.

Still unanswered: Do the new RevF (software v2) buttons work after a reboot or software update? Stay tuned!