TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Steering Column Stalk Swap

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Huw Upshall, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Rockwell

Rockwell Member

This is where i am at also.
    My horn and buttons do not work.. Hoping an simple update will work. I willl let you know if i find a solution.
    The swap was pretty easy. After you remove the airbag, all you have to do is pull out the steering clock.

2. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

Can you do a Power off from the MCU? No wheel buttons involved.

3. Rockwell

Rockwell Member

Tried that and it does not work. Its a software issue i believe.

4. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

No offense intended, as you seem to know what you are doing -- but you need to do the power down and leave the car for 5 minutes or so, then come back and press the brake to restart. Doing anything else will abort the power down.

5. Chaserr

Chaserr Active Member

MCU power off is only a "sleep" not a reboot. No T logos on either the main or dashboard screen. There is no "leave the car and come back" you sit in the car for 5 minutes or you boot it up sooner, touching the door wakes it up.

I've been told "ask Tesla to update your configuration to SteeringWheel2" so it knows the buttons are new. I'll call support tomorrow and ask. It's possible it might do this on a reboot or update on its own but the wait for that to happen is indefinite and my patience isn't.

• Like x 2
  6. StephenS

StephenS Member

Hey guys. I just pulled this off. You need to have the firmware reprogrammed for the car to recognize the new steering wheel switches. Reprogramming is a pretty simple fix if you have the ability to reconfigure your car with someone that has some skills with computers or access to Tesla toolbox. The problem is that the old configuration is expecting a LIN wire input, however with the newer setup up, it is all CAN bus. So the switches are sending signals, but there is nothing on the bus that is programmed to hear it.

• Like x 1
  7. Rockwell

Rockwell Member

Thank you for the tip. Once i find sopmeone that can do this... i will let you know the outcome.

8. olsch01

olsch01 New Member

That's awesome - thanks for posting! Any tips on the software reconfigure? Just scanned TMC and didn't come up with much - I'm sure the info is out there somewhere ;)

9. linkster

linkster Active Member

Wow, thanks for this thread you smart folks! I didn’t know this was a thing. Old gearhead here performing high quality nut-and-bolt rotisserie restorations, performance engine building, and modding both front and rear S suspension to straighten out the (expected) shortcomings on very early Ses. Nearly every post on this thread is way above my pay grade so I will have my Ranger perform this swap if possible on 6+ year old Veronica, pending CFO approval of course. :oops:

• Love x 1