Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Column Stalk Swap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, finally! Never get old! I dislocated a shoulder trying to pull off the airbag assembly, but that happens whenever that shoulder tries to lift more than 30 pounds so you need to put at least that much effort into it. Airbag popped off, I swapped in the RevF v2 buttons, swapped over to the new stalks, and re-assembled.

New stalks are working, turn signals , wipers, headlights all work.

Steering wheel buttons are disabled. I have power - lights on the buttons illuminate - but nothing happens when I press the buttons.

This includes the horn, it's not honking either. I swapped back to the original buttons and same deal, no horn no voice activation no volume etc. I'm hoping for a software update notification soon, because without those buttons I can't reset to see if that fixes it. The manual says you need to flash new software to the assembly so maybe an update is needed rather than the reboot anyway.

Still unanswered: Do the new RevF (software v2) buttons work after a reboot or software update? Stay tuned!
This is where i am at also.
My horn and buttons do not work.. Hoping an simple update will work. I willl let you know if i find a solution.
The swap was pretty easy. After you remove the airbag, all you have to do is pull out the steering clock.

MCU power off is only a "sleep" not a reboot. No T logos on either the main or dashboard screen. There is no "leave the car and come back" you sit in the car for 5 minutes or you boot it up sooner, touching the door wakes it up.

I've been told "ask Tesla to update your configuration to SteeringWheel2" so it knows the buttons are new. I'll call support tomorrow and ask. It's possible it might do this on a reboot or update on its own but the wait for that to happen is indefinite and my patience isn't.

Reactions: Rockwell and BerTX
Hey guys. I just pulled this off. You need to have the firmware reprogrammed for the car to recognize the new steering wheel switches. Reprogramming is a pretty simple fix if you have the ability to reconfigure your car with someone that has some skills with computers or access to Tesla toolbox. The problem is that the old configuration is expecting a LIN wire input, however with the newer setup up, it is all CAN bus. So the switches are sending signals, but there is nothing on the bus that is programmed to hear it.

Reactions: AZP85
Hey guys. I just pulled this off. You need to have the firmware reprogrammed for the car to recognize the new steering wheel switches. Reprogramming is a pretty simple fix if you have the ability to reconfigure your car with someone that has some skills with computers or access to Tesla toolbox. The problem is that the old configuration is expecting a LIN wire input, however with the newer setup up, it is all CAN bus. So the switches are sending signals, but there is nothing on the bus that is programmed to hear it.

That's awesome - thanks for posting! Any tips on the software reconfigure? Just scanned TMC and didn't come up with much - I'm sure the info is out there somewhere ;)

Wow, thanks for this thread you smart folks! I didn’t know this was a thing. Old gearhead here performing high quality nut-and-bolt rotisserie restorations, performance engine building, and modding both front and rear S suspension to straighten out the (expected) shortcomings on very early Ses. Nearly every post on this thread is way above my pay grade so I will have my Ranger perform this swap if possible on 6+ year old Veronica, pending CFO approval of course. :oops:

• Love
Reactions: Rockwell
Hello,

I’ve bought the new stalk set and considering doing this soon. Would it be best to wait until there is a software update and doing it just before I update?

I’ll also buy the newer buttons too.

I used to be a developer but was not aware there was access to the software. What software is required?

Thanks

Also make sure it comes with the new wiring. Or you will need to modify your old wiring harness.
Hi TonyT, I hope I can bother you a little;

I have been working with Samppa with my late -14 model S adding heated steering wheel. I swapped everything, it has +12v, ecu, slipring with 5 pins, heated wheel in the hvac-screen - but no heat on the wheel.
What can be wrong?