TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

steering differences

Discussion in 'Model S' started by irvineboy, Apr 25, 2015.

1. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

I have only driven the P85. The steering felt kind of numb, almost Mercedes like.

Can anyone tell me if the P85 PLUS or the new P85D has similar steering feel or did they change it to be tighter steering ratio?

What is the steering ratio?

2. caddieo

caddieo Member

#2 caddieo, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    Which steering setting did you use - comfort, standard, or sport?

3. 0Q991

0Q991 Member

Do all Model S variants have steering settings that are adjustable?

4. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

Yes, all model Ss have the same adjustments. I leave mine on sport all the time.

5. 0Q991

0Q991 Member

Thanks!

related adjustability question--does stock coil suspension have adjustable dampers? Or just the air suspension?

6. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

I tried standard and sport. Didn't notice a huge difference from comfort to sport.
    I am guessing the Plus and the D have the same steering as the P85 in all three settings?

7. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

The steering on my P85D feels decidedly different than my P85. Quicker turn in. Car feels sportier, lighter. Which is rather surprising given the P85D weighs more. I think they've gone with a different steering assist system in the autopilot cars.

8. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

If you are american, the Teslas all have DSC now (which I think is still sort of rare in america?), so that makes the steering at high speeds feel sort of delayed/indirect if you aren't used to it.

9. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

The P85+ had much better steering (road feel) than non-plus models. Not sports-car levels of feel, but perfectly acceptable. Reminds me of driving a big BMW. A loaner 85 felt very different.

10. scottm

scottm Active Member

I tried sport... it just makes the wheel harder to turn, removes some of the power assist. Is that all it is supposed to do? Make it seem closer to having manual steering, or what's the point? Is there a tighter turning radius along with it, or fewer turns lock to lock, or reduced ratio at speed so more input is required to accomplish the same degrees of turn in? Anybody know....

11. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

I have a P85 and in sport I can feel the road easier than in comfort. To me comfort or even standard are used when making a lot of small turns in parking lots etc. but for spirited driving I keep it on sport. I've also driven a P85D and the steering felt exactly like my P85 and I will note that yes the actual driving was the same but the size of tires make a difference in how the steering when feels. 19" vs 21" vs 22"