Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

steering differences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried standard and sport. Didn't notice a huge difference from comfort to sport.
I am guessing the Plus and the D have the same steering as the P85 in all three settings?

The steering on my P85D feels decidedly different than my P85. Quicker turn in. Car feels sportier, lighter. Which is rather surprising given the P85D weighs more. I think they've gone with a different steering assist system in the autopilot cars.

I tried sport... it just makes the wheel harder to turn, removes some of the power assist. Is that all it is supposed to do? Make it seem closer to having manual steering, or what's the point? Is there a tighter turning radius along with it, or fewer turns lock to lock, or reduced ratio at speed so more input is required to accomplish the same degrees of turn in? Anybody know....

I have a P85 and in sport I can feel the road easier than in comfort. To me comfort or even standard are used when making a lot of small turns in parking lots etc. but for spirited driving I keep it on sport. I've also driven a P85D and the steering felt exactly like my P85 and I will note that yes the actual driving was the same but the size of tires make a difference in how the steering when feels. 19" vs 21" vs 22"