Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Feel Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of a Y Performance with Performance pkg last week. I am disappointed with the steering feel on this vehicle. It has three setting for steering Comfort, Standard and Sport, but none of them improve matters. The Comfort is the least offensive, because the other two just get heavier and even more dead. I drive Porsches and I realize that my expectations might be higher than average. I didn't expect the Tesla to have great feel, but it is bad, not just disconnected and dull, but thick and 'sticky', especially in the middle, with no self centering. If you turn the wheel five degrees and release it, it doesn't return, it sticks, and stays on that path. There's no sense of the road through the steering. The feel improves somewhat when cornering hard, but in normal driving, zilch. Sadly, there's much to admire about this car. The powertrain is wonderful. It's very fast and quieter than I expected. The chassis handles hard transitions very well. The sound system is excellent! I applaud Tesla and I want it to succeed, but I can't live without road-feel. It's just too important to my engagement and driving pleasure. I've returned the car, disappointed! I have heard that in the Model 3 the rear drive models have better steering. I also wonder whether the Performance models, being 'tired up', might suffer more from this condition. If you have any knowledge about these matters, I'd like to hear from you. I will give Tesla another try in the future, hoping they've improved this aspect of their performance.

It sounds like you haven’t been in a newer car in quite some time. The days of the steering you are referring to are long gone for the most part. Steering nowadays is more or less electronically controlled and is not as mechanical as it used to be so there is less feedback from the road. I’m not sure what you mean about your steering wheel not returning to neutral after turning, because mine does otherwise I would’ve felt it. I’m coming from a BMW so I’m quite the critic and I will see that Tesla isn’t doing such a bad job considering the generation we live in

If you turn the wheel five degrees and release it, it doesn't return, it sticks, and stays on that path.
You might feel this way at slow speed, but if you don't touch the steering wheel the wheel will return straight because of the caster angle,
which is around 5 degrees.

But I would agree that the feeling is a little soft especially at slow speed where you can feel that a bump on the road affects the steering.
I would prefer the very hard steering that you feel as soon as you trigger the AutoPilot.

I would have been more interested knowing your impressions on a curving road as it's where I really noticed a big difference
with any two or four wheel drive I drove previously. But may be this was caused by the power immediately available.

Reactions: Nakk
I might not have any clue of what you are looking for, but the Model 3 performance (stealth) [with both 18” and 19” rims] had great self centering. In fact I commonly would forget to turn auto pilot on thinking it was already on because it tracked so well. My suggestion (as recommended by others) is try a Model 3 performance. As well as maybe a couple other Model Y’s. You may have and alignment issue. Which is not unheard of from Tesla.

Model Y is a CUV after all. My X is an SUV and is by no means a Model 3 Connected to the road handling go cart. Actually, Model 3 was a bit too connected for my taste.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Interesting. How much did you drive it before returning it? I am also curious what year and model of Porsche(s) you’re comparing it to.

I have a performance Model 3 as well as Performance Model Y, and previously had a Performance Model X. I have had Subaru sports cars, Audi, and BMW.

In my opinion, the handling in the Model X is similar to the BMW SUVs, sporty, but a bit soft and you feel the weight and size. Comfortable and fun, but certainly not nimble. The Model 3 is phenomenal, I love the responsiveness, super quick and tight, feels glued to the road and spirited in the curves. If you’re looking for something that will drift, you will love the track mode. My new Model Y comes very close to the Model 3 handling wise, and I am extremely happy with it.

Drive a Model 3 performance and tell us how you like it.

What kind of Porsche are you talking about?
There are many different ones.
My current Porsches are a Macan Turbo and a 2014 Boxster S, both electric steering. Of course I prefer hydraulic steering, but they've done a pretty good job with the change. I've had many cars and drive ordinary rentals when traveling. I pay attention to dynamics, and can appreciate modest cars done well. My particular Model YP+ was wanting in the steering department, even compared to much more modest cars, ie Mazdas, Hondas and Subarus.

It sounds like you haven’t been in a newer car in quite some time. The days of the steering you are referring to are long gone for the most part. Steering nowadays is more or less electronically controlled and is not as mechanical as it used to be so there is less feedback from the road. I’m not sure what you mean about your steering wheel not returning to neutral after turning, because mine does otherwise I would’ve felt it. I’m coming from a BMW so I’m quite the critic and I will see that Tesla isn’t doing such a bad job considering the generation we live in
Aside from my '04 NSX, my other cars (Macan Turbo, Boxster S) are both electric steering, and they do pretty well with it. BTW, I don't think modern BMW's are a good example for steering feel! My '09 550 was totally dead, and recent Bimmers I've driven aren't much better.

Having both grown up with BMWs and owning mostly BMWs my whole post-college adult life, in addition to driving a friend's Porsche, I completely understand what you mean about road feel. I test drove a Performance Model 3 before ordering the MY and I was completely sold on the driving experience of that car. I ordered the Model Y LR AWD with 19" wheels and I intend to find one of similar spec to drive before taking delivery. Driving dynamics and steering feel is definitely a concern for me. The thing is, if I decide it is not for me, I will probably get a M3 Performance instead as it is around the same price point.

My point is I would highly suggest test driving the M3 performance before giving up on Tesla.

Reactions: preilly44
Look...I get it, but a Tesla is a commuter vehicle, it's utilitarian. It can be for some, but is not necessarily primarily for DRIVING. I love my new Y, it hauls ass, carries a ton of stuff, keeps my family safe. For driving I leave it up to the other car in the garage.

Attachments

• 20200331_144239.jpg
    20200331_144239.jpg
    636.4 KB · Views: 250
Reactions: preilly44
Earlier Porsche had some of the best connected steering feel in the world (except for Lotus). Tesla Model 3 is not bad, but mechanical Porsche is better.
Even owners of the newer Porsche models lament the loss of feeling of the older cars.

Tesla Model 3 is a 4 door sporty car, not a dedicated sports car.

Good chance if you had spent more time in the Model 3 you might grow to appreciate the entire package.They are really quite remarkable.

Aside from my '04 NSX, my other cars (Macan Turbo, Boxster S) are both electric steering, and they do pretty well with it. BTW, I don't think modern BMW's are a good example for steering feel! My '09 550 was totally dead, and recent Bimmers I've driven aren't much better.

You hold a high standard for steering feels as you own a handful of high performance cars and now a Tesla Model Y. Not to say the Y isn’t a performance car, but it’s not going to have the same feel as an NSX or Porsche. I do believe it can put some impressive Lap times. I own a modded 2010 335i and that’s my baby, so whenever I get an itch, I hop in that

I drove a 2001 Porsche C4 before I bought the X and then our 3 AWD. I ran time trials with the Porsche Club of America in a 924 and a 944 Turbo. AWD could be part of the problem of course. But I find both the X and the 3 to have steering nearly as easy to drive as the Porsche. The feedback may not be great, but both have been very precise with no dead spot in the middle and perfect self centering for me. Very easy to drive, and the 3 is a blast. Easily better than any rental car I've driven, which is undeservedly faint praise. Some of those cars were a real handful just trying to go straight on the freeway.

Our old 2000 BMW 540i had horrible self centering. I always had to pull it back to center. Of course it probably never had an alignment either, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:
Reactions: StealthP3D
Look...I get it, but a Tesla is a commuter vehicle, it's utilitarian. It can be for some, but is not necessarily primarily for DRIVING. I love my new Y, it hauls ass, carries a ton of stuff, keeps my family safe. For driving I leave it up to the other car in the garage.
Nice Alfa, Kaz!... a very rare car in these parts. It looks great with your new Y. Good luck keeping those 21's off the curbs. There's zero protection... not so utilitarian! I would have been worried about mine. Most "DRIVING" is done commuting, and it should be as pleasurable as possible, IMO. I live in the hills in western Va, so I'm not slogging bumper to bumper on Freeways. If I had an urban commute, the isolation might be more acceptable, or maybe even desirable. I do admire the utility of the Y, and I agree about the importance of safety for a family. My kids are grown, so safety has probably become less important, as have back seat accouterments.

• Love
Reactions: kazkioken
I think at the end of the day anyone looking to compare a Porsche to a Tesla for steering feel will be underwhelmed.. I do love my MY PUP, think it feels great on the road and has good steering feel for my driving style (I actually keep it at comfort most of the time), but I never had any hope of it feeling like a Porsche when it comes to steering feel.. Porsche has had decades of experience on that front.. Tesla barely one... Its an art just as much a science.

I think at the end of the day anyone looking to compare a Porsche to a Tesla for steering feel will be underwhelmed..
I do love my MY PUP, think it feels great on the road and has good steering feel for my driving style
(I actually keep it at comfort most of the time), but I never had any hope of it feeling like a Porsche when it comes to steering feel..
Porsche has had decades of experience on that front.. Tesla barely one... Its an art just as much a science.
I can't wait to see the next duel at the Nürburgring between Gargantua and Pantagruel

Nice Alfa, Kaz!... a very rare car in these parts. It looks great with your new Y. Good luck keeping those 21's off the curbs. There's zero protection... not so utilitarian! I would have been worried about mine. Most "DRIVING" is done commuting, and it should be as pleasurable as possible, IMO. I live in the hills in western Va, so I'm not slogging bumper to bumper on Freeways. If I had an urban commute, the isolation might be more acceptable, or maybe even desirable. I do admire the utility of the Y, and I agree about the importance of safety for a family. My kids are grown, so safety has probably become less important, as have back seat accouterments.

In terms of the Y driving dynamics, I am going to change out my wheels to something smaller, and probably adjust the caster and camber. On corner entry there is some weird stuff going on I think it's the front suspension settings. Unplugged Performance does some great suspension tuning so will see what they come out with. I think a Macan Turbo might be in order for you!

In terms of the Y driving dynamics, I am going to change out my wheels to something smaller, and probably adjust the caster and camber. On corner entry there is some weird stuff going on I think it's the front suspension settings. Unplugged Performance does some great suspension tuning so will see what they come out with. I think a Macan Turbo might be in order for you!
You are so right in your recommendation of the Macan Turbo. I've been driving one for five years. I love it. It's the best all-around vehicle I've ever had. It's fast, fun and practical, but at 20 mpg, it's far from green! Smaller, *lighter* wheels would probably help the YP+P's steering. If adjusting the alignment (toe, caster, camber) is helpful, I hope you'll post your results to this thread.

• Love
Reactions: kazkioken